Sahara Force India Team unveils their 2013 F1 car – Formula 1
Zigwheels Home

Home » Formula1» News» Sahara Force India Team unveils their 2013 F1 car

RACE REPORTS
View all
interviews
View all

Sahara Force India Team unveils their 2013 F1 car

by Ravi Ved Posted on 01 Feb 2013 554 Views

Share
Sahara Force India Team took the wraps off its 2013 contender, the Mercedes-powered VJM06, at their headquarters in Silverstone on February 1, 2013

 

Paul di Resta unveiling the VJM06

 

 

Paul di Resta, the sole confirmed driver for the Sahara Force India F1 Team, along with team boss Bob Fernley unveiled the Indian outfit’s 2013 challenger – the VJM06. As expected, the tricolour team too has done away with the unattractive looking stepped noses that featured in the VJM05. This is the third car to take birth under the expertise of Technical Director Andrew Green and is built on the strengths of its predecessor. 

 

“The VJM06 doesn’t look massively different to its predecessor, but beneath the skin we’ve looked at every detail to try and find more performance. I’ve followed the development of the car closely and I’m proud of what we have achieved. The objective now is to make sure we build on the promise of last year and have a strong start to the season,” said Team Principal Vijay Mallya.  

 

Although the Indian team discussed retaining certain characteristics of its forerunner, they decided against it and have built an all-new car from the ground up. Further, as per the regulation change this year, they have incorporated a fairing on top of the nose to cover the ‘step’. While this hasn’t really affected the car’s performance, the flow over the chassis is now improved (Watch : Sahara Force India VJM06 Launch video).

 

 

Paul di Resta driving the VJM06 at Silverstone

 

 

 

 

“Seeing the car built and complete for the first time is a special feeling. I’ve followed its progress in the tunnel and it looks very impressive - aggressive and fast. Now I’m just eager to get out there and see where we stand compared to our competitors,” di Resta said. 

 

With Nico Hulkenberg headed for Sauber for 2013, the other seat is still to be filled. Although the team was to declare their second driver at the launch ceremony, no such announcement was made. The Silverstone-based team is one of the three left to announce its No. 2 driver apart from Caterham and Marussia. That said several names have been raised as potential contenders to partner di Resta, including reserve driver Jules Bianchi and ex-Force India driver Adrian Sutil. 

 

The Sahara Force India team’s performance last year was the topic of debate among a lot of fans considering they scored more points than the 2011 season but were ranked one spot below. It is now left for us to see how well the team can perform onboard the all-new VJM06, but part of it will also depend on who they sign to partner di Resta. As of now, we just have to play the waiting game. 

 

 

 

Post Your Comment

Do you like this story?

Readers' opinions ( )
Post a Comment

Have something to say? Post your comment
Comments are moderated and will be allowed if they are about the topic and not abusive.
Characters remaining (1500)


Will be displayed

Will not be displayed
4 + 2 =
Please answer this simple math question.