Home » Car selling tips
Car selling tips
Planning to sell your old car? Here are some tips to get the best deals and turn your used car into cash. But before you jump to any conclusions, ask these questions to yourself: Is your car going to be easy to sell? Is it a hot seller? Or will you have to drop your price and search out additional locations to sell it? If yes, then here are a few general rules to answer these queries.
- Price your car realistically
For a quick sale, the most vital thing is to find the current market price for your car. The internet is the easiest medium to do so. Also pay a visit to the nearest used car dealer and check for similar models on sale, to get a fair idea about how to price your car.
- Clear your outstanding finances if any
You can’t sell a car with outstanding finance and if you do, you need to first get the finance company’s permission or settle the finance, which includes all outstanding hire purchases and any other conditional sale agreements.
- Make sure your car makes a lasting impression
The buying decision is made usually within the first few seconds, so make sure your car gives a positive first look. So, before you advertise the car for sale, make your car look absolutely clean and attractive as realistically possible. Here is a to-do list to get the best out of your car:
- Make sure it’s washed, polished and detailed
- Make sure the car is both mechanically sound and free from dents, dings and scrapes
- Consider fixing minor repairs yourself than selling it “as is”
- Thoroughly clean the windows and all mirrored surfaces
- Have all the car papers and maintenance records in place to show them to the prospective buyers
- Where to advertise your car
Now that your car is looking good and is ready for display, the next step is to advertise it for sale. Since advertising in newspapers can become quite an expensive affair, online ads makes most sense in today’s tech-savvy world. Online ads are particularly effective and online classifieds like www.zigwheels.com are a sure shot means to attract buyers.
Here are some of the main mediums for advertising used cars
- Online classified ads such as those on Zigwheels.com
- Daily newspaper classified ads.
- Through word of mouth by telling your friends.
- Make Ads that make the right impact
While putting a classified ad in the paper or online, you have to show how eager you are to sell your car.
- Urgent sale: This mostly means the seller is in a hurry to sell the car and is willing to offer the car at a more than bargain price.
- Best Offer: This indicates you are ready to entertain offers below the stated price.
- Firm: This is to negate any attempt to negotiate. You are interested in getting your price.
- Showing your car
Make the buyers feel comfortable. They might ask a lot of questions since it is a big decision and involves a lot of money. Put them at ease and answer their questions openly.
Some buyers will want to take the car to a mechanic to have it inspected, which is a reasonable request.
- The Negotiations
Most people are uncomfortable negotiating so their offers might take several forms.
“What’s your best price?”: This is a more direct way to probe the seller to find out how much he or she is wiling to come down. If you get a prospective buyer don’t seem too eager to reduce the price.
“Would you accept”: This buyer has thought it over and is making an offer. But the offer is being presented in a polite manner designed to allow for a counter offer.
“Take it or leave it”: This buyer is making an offer that supposedly leaves no room for a counter offer. In reality, this buyer might be bluffing. Still, they are sending a message that they are close to their final price. The only way to know for sure whether it really is a "take it or leave it" offer is to leave it and let them leave. They may return tomorrow ready to pay your price.
- The Sale
Now that the deal is fixed, that leaves us with the paper work. The payment can be accepted in cash or DD. In case of cheques, wait for the clearance before transferring the documents. In case the buyer is arranging for finance, the finance company will guide you through the paper work and with respect to the RTO transfers any agent from the RTO office or a car dealer can help you with it.
Hope these pointers help you to sell your car better…Happy selling!