Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X Overview
29th November 2018: Royal Enfield has launched the Thunderbird 500X with the safety net of dual-channel ABS. Priced at Rs Rs 2.13 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), it commands a premium of around Rs 15,000 over the non-ABS variant. The Thunderbird 500X is a modern take on Royal Enfield’s Thunderbird cruiser. The bike stands out from the current pack thanks to blacked out parts and contrasting bright paintwork. Chrome has been given a miss and what you get instead are blacked out components like the engine, exhaust, front forks, rear shock absorbers, handlebar, headlamp cover, meter bezels, mirrors, side panels, tailpiece and the rear grab rail. The fuel tank meanwhile gets a shade of bright yellow and blue options with matching rim tapes on the new alloy wheels that replace the spoked units. It features a single stepped up seat rather than the split seat seen on the standard model. Moreover, the bike also gets new plastic grab rails. The handlebar too is a flatter unit instead of the tall ones on the Thunderbird.
The Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X retains the same 499cc, air-cooled, single-cylinder motor of the Thunderbird 500. It produces 27.5PS at 5250rpm and 41.3Nm of torque at 4000rpm. Suspension duties are handled by telescopic front forks and twin gas-charged shocks at the rear. Anchoring the bike are disc brakes at both ends.
At a price tag of Rs 2.13 lakh, the Thunderbird 500X competes against theBajaj Dominar, Mahindra Mojo and the soon-to-be-launched Jawa Perak.
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X Colours
Must Read Questions & Answers Before Buying Thunderbird 500X
- Thanks for such a detailed answer. Ur efforts are really appreciated. finally I bought myself a Thunderbird 500 X, and I am satisfied with the choice I made.
- Hi, being an old thunderbird user u might know everything about the engine of that beast. still if u feel u wana continue using the same then thunderbird 500X is apt. However, if u wana try another than a crusier model, den Himalayan is a best pick for all round commute. Interceptor is a much more modern big which is ment for sporty styling and speed which cannot come in handy for crusier user. I feel it's better if u go for a test drive and select the one which suits you
- After Classic 500 - natural upgrade is Int650. Much superior product in terms of technology. Only thing which you may not comfortable with - is seating. It's slightly more aggresive. Pls take a trial & decide. But remeber - TB 500 is not being upgraded to BS 6. Decide immediately.
- Intercepter 650.
- I have experience with TB 500X. Superb riding experience, centre of gravity is beautifully poised with TBX, great riding happiness on a cruiser mode. High torque at low RPMs ensures good ride quality in off roads.No experience with interceptor
- It all boils down your needs and affordability. 500cc has alot of higher end bike tech in it. so obviously it demands more care and expertise to maintain. (it's common among any high end bikes) I own a TB 500X and except for services cost I have not faced any issues..!and yea there is a 5years extended warranty from company if you only get the serviced from RE service centre at regular intervals..! 350 is not a bad bike but if you wana step up a notch be ready for the costs and polished riding style
- 350x is easier to maintain and quite reliable. 500x has more power and has fi but in case of maintaining it has gone above par. Some where 500cc bikes of RE are hard to maintain. If you are spending for about 2.5 to 3L you should definitely go for Interceptor 650twins for this is the best. Otherwise you go for TB350x. It is good reliable and easier to maintain. Good luck with the choice.
- Carburetors are supposed to be more reliable in the sense that they are much "simpler" and can be fixed by any and every other mechanic.But fuel injected isn't a problem. Guess what is the problem? Lack of power in the 350. I regret every second that I didn't go for the 500 instead.
- You got money for fuel and you Love power then it's 500x if you compromise a bit in power you get better fuel economy then it's 350x now choice is yours
- Don’t get 500 for commuting purpose. If you plan to get a bike for trips then go for it
- If your budget fit with 500 then go for it. FI is alwys better choice. All through this bike is awesome. Performance, road presence, mileage all are A star.
- Himalayan 1st choice then Thunderbird 500X if good mileage required
- If that riding is going to be on highways, then interceptor 650. And if bumpy city bad roads then Himalayan would be a better pick.
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X User Reviews
I bought RE TB 500X Orange on 25th Oct 2019. Drove 300 plus Kms in a week. Excellent styling, comfort and torque. One must buy a 500X over 350X to get the max thrill and motorcycling experience out of this class offered by RE. The weight to power ratio is 0.75 CC per kg higher for 500X than 350X. Value for money for bike enthusiasts. My little experience tells me that this bike this bike will require attention and care / regular maintenance checks, to optimise high performance. But this stands true for all heavy bikes above 300 CC. The new handle bar adds to riding experience, but you need little rest after 120 km on a stretch, as it strains your back. Pick up and torque are true to RE spirit for 500X, offering higher torque at low RPMs. GO for it, you will love this machine!
it's been a week since I got the vehicle, so far it's a beast with new costume. simple and elegant seating,ready to capture long distances attitude, instant power and thump whenever we rev, all of it makes me find a reason to got on to bike more often.Totally worth cruiser
Although it weighs 197 kgs, i found it much lighter to handle as against classic 350. Bucket seat and ergonomics are the two key factors. Comfortable - it takes a couple of days to get used to bucket seat after classic 350 habituated posture and it also depends on the height of the person. It is s beauty.
Amazing macho presence on the road ..moves like a true gentleman among crazy foul mouthed bangers ...true performance with flair and panache
Good super bike excellent my favourite bike this thunderbird so i want this bike.Royal like a royal.
More Customer Reviews of
Royal Enfield Bikes in India
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X Expert Reviews
The new Thunderbird variant adds a dash of colour and youthfulness to one of Royal Enfield’s most popular motorcycles. Does it ride as good as it looks?