Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was awesome fun today (though quite hot).

Here is mailsarkar sharing his views about #ZigDrive III:

Shakeel Khan here shares his experience:

Comment

ZigDrive 3 saw us all switch four wheels for two. And with good reason. As you would have seen in some of the earlier photos posted above, the trail was really narrow, sandy and lined with thorny bushes. But the adventurous ride was well worth it. We saw three lakes - the first, where we just stopped for a photo op and at which point we had to ditch our support car. The second was aptly called "Death Valley" as there is really no way to get down to the lake - it's sheer cliff faces on all sides. And the third was Lake Bhardwaj - a pristine, spring-fed freshwater lake that one can camp by. The silence of the place was broken only by the excited banter of the group, making its way down to the lake. Here's a quick video of what the lake looks like:
      Drink coffee and drive!

Comment

What started out as a ZigDrive - or rather a ZigRide - in this case, turned into a ZigWalk, a ZigTrek and a ZigSwim after a while, with a surprise test ride of the Royal Enfield Himalayan as well in between.
        The first lot of us assembled bright and early. Riders began trickling in from 6.45 am onward, while Nikhil Kalra brought in the support car (the XUV in the background) that was carrying refreshments.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (20).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	3627

Around 18 of us set out from Promenade at 7.10 am after a quick run through of the route and some basic safety precautions. Our first stop was about half an hour later at Throttle Shrottle, a cafe on the Gurgaon-Faridabad road, which is a hangout for biking groups.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (24).jpg
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	3628

Our bikes all nicely lined up. We were joined by a few more bikers at Throttle Shrottle.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (26).jpg
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	3629

At Throttle Shrottle, Manzil Motors are Royal Enfield dealer had organized a test ride of the new Himalayan. Some of us took a ride.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (2).jpg
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	3631

Some had quite a bit of fun with the Himalayan on a purpose built off-road track. But this little "track" was not a patch on what lay in store for us.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (5).jpg
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	3632

We rode on from Throttle Shrottle, to the first of the lakes. We had to ditch the two cars that joined the group a KM before this spot, and we had to leave our support XUV500 here, because beyond this point the track became really narrow.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (8).jpg
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	3633

Another shot of the rides.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (7).jpg
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	3634

A great spot for some selfies! Shakeel Khan :-)

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (11).jpg
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	3635

And then it was time to move on. The ride as you've seen in earlier photos got pretty challenging. But we weren't even there yet.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (14).jpg
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	3636

This lake is "Death Valley". It's virtually inaccessible because of the steep drops on all sides. It is lake No. 2.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (17).jpg
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	3637

It was time to press on and find the final lake - Lake Bhardwaj. But the going was tough, really tough. Sand, rutted track and thorny bushes took the mickey out of some riders. The Bonneville (@mailsarkar) handled the track pretty well.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (31).jpg
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	3638

As did the lighter bikes like the Honda Hornet 160R and the Suzuki Gixxer SF.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (32).jpg
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	3639

As did the nimble KTM Duke.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (89).jpg
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	3645

The Royal Enfields though had a tough time with the weight and sand.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (87).jpg
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	3646

Still, it was all fun. On the return trip, I got a lot of sand in my rear brake pedal and jammed it. But a couple of swift kicks and some bending on a rock sorted it out. No pillions on this trail. The ones who had come in cars had to walk it!

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (33).jpg
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	3640

After another few metres, we just parked the bikes and walked the remainder of the trail to the beautiful Lake Bhardwaj. It was just worth it. Completely worth it.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (39).jpg
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	3641

Total peace and quiet, except for another small group on the far bank who were swimming in the lake.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (59).jpg
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	3642

And that kind of inspired our ZigDrive group to also get their feet wet. (@jijo malayil and Vaibhav Sharma )

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (53).jpg
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	3649

Some decided to hold an impromptu meeting in the water.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (84).jpg
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	3643

Some got more than just their feet wet.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (78).jpg
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	3648

While the others waited on the cliff side.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (79).jpg
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	3644

And time for a groufie! Not everyone is in this photo though.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (68).jpg
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	3647

And a parting shot of the lake.

Name:	Zigdrive-3-biking (37).jpg
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	3650

ZigDrive III draws to a close. Stay tuned for more...

‚Äč
        Drink coffee and drive!

Comment

The day, the ride and the people were awesome! The place was epic and was a tough task to drive through the bushes and sandy trails. The water at the Bhardwaj Lake was the cleanest water body I had come across. It was fun climbing and getting down on the rocky paths and would like to visit the place soon.
          Talking about my personal experience, we were the only one who has come on a scooter And I had lost my way to the place as my phone got switched off. After roaming about the rocky terrains and looking for people, we decided to follow the trails of bike tyres and finally we were able to find the group at Death Valley. We decided to come back after spending some time. And SuperMod provided us some cool ZigWheels stickers . The lake was such a nice place that I would look forward to planning a next trip to the place anytime soon.
          Eagerly waiting to attend the next event!

Comment

Amazing Event organized by the ZigWheels Team and as always I feel I'm in safe hands with the Supermod's instructions. As I'm still a novice in the auto space but someone who has always enjoyed the sheer thrill & passion of it, I couldn't resist this (Biker's) & the last (4x4 Offroad) experience.

Both the events have been an enriching experience for me as I experienced the beautiful trail at Bhardwaj Lake & Death Valley and the stopover at the amazing cafe of Throttle Shottle . I'd love to explore this place again (needless to say how the amazing serene waters of Bhardwaj Lake made me jump in the water despite the fact that I had to spend a whole day back in office working :P).

Hope this madness continues in future...sharing few pics from the day.

Comment

This was my 1st ride with Zigwheels.....and i enjoyed it to the fullest although i could not make to the end with my bike, But learned a few lessons on handling my bike on these kind of tracks, at one point i lost control and my bike was on my right foot thanks to the sandy track nothing happened or else i would have got injured and would have ruined the day for others as well. On my way back to home(Vaishali) i was riding along with mailsarkar (the gentlemen with Triumph, Really a very big heart is required to ride a Rs6lakhs+ bike on this kind of rough track) that was also a nice experience for me as i was enjoying the sweet sound of Bonniie's exhausts (arrow), And thanks mailsarkar for keeping his speed low so that i can follow him and not get lost on the way. I will be looking forward for this kind of rides in future also. Thanks Roshun & team for this ride.

Comment

Vaibhav Sharma that Bonnie sounded really good no. I could hear mailsarkar's Bonnie's arrow exhaust even in my sleep. Looking forward to the next ride.

Comment

The Zigride-trek-ride was totally worth it. Single file formation did help in maintaining good discipline. The trail ride was so much fun! I got stuck thrice where stones got caught on either sides of the rear wheel and they ended up supporting the bike's swing-arm lol! Coupled with the 190-odd kilogram weight, the bike was simply immovable and i was determined not to drop the bike. Three fellow riders came and helped me out of the rut. I learnt that the best way to navigate through rough terrain is to go with the flow and not against it. I'd suggest the next ride should kick off early in the morning to beat the traffic and the heat. Overall, it was a good learning experience and I got to meet many like-minded individuals. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next ride!
                  Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

A brilliant event put together by Zigwheels and a special note of appreciation for my old friend Roshun for playing the perfect GL on the ride! The Bonneville performed beyond my expectations frankly. Given it's snappy throttle in first and the amount of torque flowing through to the rear wheel, I half expected it to bog down on the deeper sand tracks. And it did too, or started to anyway. Fortunately, the rear Metzeler has worn out some depth during it's 10k kms lifetime and offered lesser groove to dig than what would've been healthy in the loose sand That and some acceleration kept the wheel afloat and saw us bouncing about without serious damage. I knew the KTM was going to ace the track all the time, and it did.
                    As for the exhaust - I never get to hear it in the same vein from the saddle. But thanks for letting me know it sounds as good as it does Let's ride again soon.

Comment

Yes, the KTM was undoubtedly the most capable bike on the trail but the surprise package really was the Suzuki Gixxer Sukhpreet Singh had brought along. The Honda Hornet 160R too was quite a surprise. Can't wait for JijoMalayil's review.

Comment

Originally posted by NikilSJ View Post
                        Vaibhav Sharma that Bonnie sounded really good no. I could hear mailsarkar's Bonnie's arrow exhaust even in my sleep. Looking forward to the next ride.

My neighbours probably agree with the sentiment NikilSJ, especially when I'm taking the bike out early mornings. But nowhere as charitable as you are

Comment

Folks, ZigDrive 7 is here. This time it's an Offroad Riding Event in the Delhi NCR. Check it out HERE
                          Drink coffee and drive!

Comment

Roshun Couldnt be part of this, but recently i visited Death Valley in California [youtube_video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfMjaL_5nbA[/youtube_video]

Comment

Working...
                            X