How To Get The Maximum Fuel Efficiency From Your Bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Get The Maximum Fuel Efficiency From Your Bike

In India, bikes are primarily used to commute from one place to another and a lot of people are concerned about the mileage of the bike. Every time a prospective buyer looks for a new bike in the market, one of the first few things he/she looks for is the mileage. The mileage quoted under ARAI specifications are often done under ideal test conditions, which are almost impossible to achieve in real-world environment. This post is dedicated to let users know about the tips to get the maximum fuel efficiency of their bikes, irrespective of the make. These tips may or may not give you the figures quoted by ARAI but will certainly improve your fuel efficiency by a considerable extent.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	How To Maximise Mileage From Your Bike.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5610

* The worst enemy of fuel efficiency is weight. Carry as little weight as possible. Adding unnecessarily heavy crash guards may have a negative impact on fuel efficiency. If you have any touring kit installed in your bike, remove it when not in use as it only adds unwanted weight and affects the dynamics of your bike. Riding with a pillion also reduces fuel efficiency. You may not be able to avoid certain things like a pillion rider, but keep in mind that adding weight reduces your bike's mileage.

* Keep the bike in good condition. Make sure all your bike's internals are well maintained. Ensure the air filter is clean, engine oil topped up and chain properly lubed.

* Maintain correct tyre pressure in your bike. Inflate it only as specified by the manufacturer. Most people fill 25psi at the front tyre and 35psi at the rear no matter what they ride. Your bike may or may not confirm to the pressures. Read the instruction manual and make sure what the correct tyre pressure is. Always check your tyre pressure when the tyre is cold.

*Always try to fill fuel only at the fuel station you know. In that way, the chances of getting cheated are less. (Also see: How to detect fraud at petrol pumps)

*Fill your tank up early in the mornings or late at night. Avoid filling it up in the afternoon as the fuel expands and evaporates too.

*Keep the bike running in the highest possible gear and at the lowest possible speed, which the drivetrain can achieve without lugging the engine. Usually, it is between 40- 55 kmph in normal bikes. Lugging is when the bike 'jerks' when the decreasing speed is too much for the engine to handle. At that time, the engine tends to half-stall while the drivetrain forces it to run. This is especially detrimental to the chain as the varying speed may force it to snap.

* Make sure your throttle inputs are slow and gradual. Sudden acceleration can lead to more fuel consumption. It goes without saying that racing starts should also be avoided.

*Avoid idling the engine too much. When you are at a long traffic signal lasting more than 20 seconds, shut down the engine. If you come across too many long traffic signals, if your bike has a kick start, use the kick-start so that the battery does not get loaded often. That way, you can improve the life of your battery too.

* Maintain a steady pace while riding. When slowing down, slowly decelerate using the engine instead of braking at the last moment. A keen awareness is needed to ride efficiently. Always look ahead and decide accordingly when you would want to decelerate. You can save your brake pads' life too!

* Avoid clutch riding and brake riding. Many people tend to keep the clutch pulled while riding. What happens is, the clutch slips and there is a loss of power from the engine to the drivetrain. Hence, the power transmission does not take place efficiently. I have seen many riders do brake-riding. Brake riding means keeping the foot pressed against the brake pedal while riding. When you do this, the brakes constantly create unnecessary friction and hampers the movement of the wheel.

* Make sure you shut off the fuel tap (if equipped) when the bike is not in use. Before taking the bike out, do not forget to switch the fuel tap back to the “On” position.

* When starting the bike for the first time, allow the bike to idle for at least two minutes. This ensures the oil is at the optimum temperature and circulates properly to the entire engine unit.

* Last but not the least, plan your route. Use routes that are less congested and time your journey in such a way that the traffic is minimum.

Please add any other fuel efficiency tips you use with your bikes in the posts below.

Also see: How to Get Maximum Fuel Efficiency from your Car

• Arjun
    replied
    Sunny_Rathod As your running is quite low, and you would be spending quite some time, warming up the engine and starting daily, you maybe getting very low fuel efficiency. It should be better in longer rides.

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Rathod
    replied
    Dude,I ride 500cc classic bike. I ride approx 3-4 kms for a day,is it good for my bike. And I get approx 18 kmpl mileage,so how can I improve my bikes mileage.

Leave a comment:

• Praveen
    replied
    Siddhant KTM uses a single cylinder engine which doesn't have a counterbalancer shaft (2017 390 Duke is equipped with it, though). So, it is normal for the engine to give out vibrations. Do check if the body panels are all screwed tight. Sometimes the fairing tends to rattle. Also, check if the rear view mirror is fitted tightly. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• siddhant
    replied
    I have a ktm.rc.200 I need a solution to the vibration ..I repair it by tightening the bolts but still there is vibration what can I do for this praveen?

Leave a comment:

• Roshun
    replied
    Originally posted by Karthick_Mani View Post
    Hi friends, glad to join this forum. I have bought a new bike, Pulsar 150cc, about 20 days ago. There is a noise coming from the engine when I cross 50 kmph onwards. I didn't ride the bike above 50kmph speed. What may be the issues? Let me know. And can anybody give a solution also to increase mileage?
    regards,
    Karthic.V.M
    Chennai
    Hi Karthick, Welcome to the ZigWheels Forum. And congrats on your new bike. Can you describe what kind of sound you are hearing from the engine? Is it a knocking sound? The engine will sound a bit rough for the first 1,000 km or so till the bike has fully run in. As for fuel efficiency, it will improve a bit once the bike has run in, once all the parts wear a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Karthick_Mani
    replied
    Hi friends, glad to join this forum. I have bought a new bike, Pulsar 150cc, about 20 days ago. There is a noise coming from the engine when I cross 50 kmph onwards. I didn't ride the bike above 50kmph speed. What may be the issues? Let me know. And can anybody give a solution also to increase mileage?
    regards,
    Karthic.V.M
    Chennai

Leave a comment:

• Praveen
    replied
    Mandar_Satvilkar Yes, Arjun is right. Make sure you periodically maintain your bike. Since your motorcycle has done 20,000 km, you may have to take extra care of your bike as not all the stock parts in the bike may be in good condition. You may have to clean/ change your air filter a little more than normal because your primary usage is only within city limits.

Leave a comment:

• Arjun
    replied
    Mandar_Satvilkar The fuel efficiency you are getting is not very low but not great either. How are you measuring the average? Is it the tankfull to tankfull method? As you ride in moving traffic, at speeds of 45-50kmph, its possible that you may be riding in a low gear which is leading to your engine to reach a higher rpm and resulting to lower fuel efficiency. Try to keep the vehicle in a higher gear preferably 5th or 4th and see if it brings any difference in the fuel efficiency. If you are already riding on higher gears, you can try changing your air filter. A clogged air filter can also lead to lower fuel efficiency. That said, fuel efficiency loss can be due to a lot of factors and these are just two I pointed out as they can be checked easily.

Leave a comment:

• Mandar_Satvilkar
    replied
    Hi.
    I am using suzuki gixxer std from last 1 year. I have done 20000 kms till date. The max average is just 38 to 40. The service center guys tell me that 150cc bikes get only this much average. Are there any means to increase the average. My max riding time is in moving traffic at 40-45 kph and go 50 km per day.

Leave a comment:

• milind_bondre
    replied
    I use my Suzuki GS 150R to commute about 45 to 50 kms of highway riding per dat in Mumbai. I have started using ADON, a petrol additive by Indian oil which i get it Indian Oil petrol pumps.Its helped me with mileage and also smooth g

Leave a comment:

• Praveen
    replied
    Kapil_Raheja Wow, 52 kmpl from a Royal Enfield is insane! Good that you are maintaining your bike properly. I think the modern Royal Enfields are relatively trouble free as long as you maintain it regularly. Do post an ownership review of your ride if you can. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Kapil_Raheja
    replied
    Praveen i ride a classic 350 which I bought 6 months ago. I always fuel up tankfull and hence measure FE TF to TF. I always fill up only V Power from a nearby Shell outlet. Believe it or not I get an incredible FE of 52 kmpl. I do all that's mentioned in this article to increase FE. I clean and lube chain every 500 kms. I have run 3.5k km so far. Since I stay in a suburban area, my commute is mostly on the highways.

Leave a comment:

• Syedmoiz73@gmail.com
    replied
    Both are good in different aspects.

Leave a comment:

• Praveen
    replied
    Kirtikumar_Gaikwad Yes, that is a fool-proof method i suppose! By the way, what bike do you ride?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X