Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Type Of Gear Knob Do You Prefer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Type Of Gear Knob Do You Prefer?

    We might have test driven many car and might have found the car lagging due to long gear throws, notchy or a clunky gearbox. Recently, I found one more issue which I usually face in my daily driver - Fizzy.
    Fizzy has short gear throws, good gear ratios and feels well spaced out in every gear yet holding the knob doesn't inspire enough confidence or help make better use of the short gear throws. I had driven the Maruti Suzuki Swift and some Hondas which had ball-type gear knob which surely feels good to hold and i find myself shifting quicker than my beefy Fizzy's gear knob.

    So my question to all is which type of gear knob do you prefer over the others and why? Which gear knob provides you the quickest gear change?

    Pictures attached for reference

    Ball Type
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Speed-Black-PU-Leather-font-b-Gear-b-font-Shift-font-b-Stick-b-font.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	7771


    Beefy Knobs
    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7772


    Pole Type
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Type-R-Satin-Finish-Shift-Knob-by-TWM-Performance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	7773


    Slim Leather Wrapped

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Brand-New-High-quality-Universal-Manual-Leather-Shifter-Shift-font-b-Knob-b-font-Cover-Stitch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	7774
    4
    Ball Type
    75.00%
    3
    Pole Type
    0%
    0
    Beefy Knobs
    25.00%
    1
    Slim knobs
    0%
    0
    Full Sweep

  • #2
    I prefer the ball-type knob as it easily fits in my small hands. I love the gear knob on the older Hondas. I always wanted to get a ball-type one for my Punto. But sadly, the Fiat is no longer with me

    Comment


    • #3
      NikilSJ If Fiat had a better gear knob for a better grip, it would still suffer from its gearbox IMO Yes, I too prefer ball type Suzukis and Honda's gear knobs. Imagine an Indian car having a T-type knob in an MT like we use to see in any Hollywood movie .
      Full Sweep

      Comment


      • #4
        Ronny I like those beefy knobs, like the one seen in Ford cars. It is complemented by those short throw gear box. Just feels Nice
        if everything comes your way, you are in the wrong lane.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ronny View Post
          NikilSJ If Fiat had a better gear knob for a better grip, it would still suffer from its gearbox IMO
          Yes, I too prefer ball type Suzukis and Honda's gear knobs.
          Imagine an Indian car having a T-type knob in an MT like we use to see in any Hollywood movie .
          Hahahaha. I have to agree with you that one. The Punto's gearbox is terrible no doubt. What's the T-Type knob though. I don't think I have ever seen one. Can you post a picture?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JijoMalayil View Post
            Ronny I like those beefy knobs, like the one seen in Ford cars. It is complemented by those short throw gear box. Just feels Nice


            Yes, they are my second favourite one. I love my dad's Ford EcoSport for the short throws. It feels so quick changing gears and it slots in nicely.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NikilSJ View Post


              Yes, they are my second favourite one. I love my dad's Ford EcoSport for the short throws. It feels so quick changing gears and it slots in nicely.
              I am referring to these type of T- gear knobs seen on Vin diesel's muscle cars.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	dodge_challenger_82211622.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	7798

              I am myself used to beefy ones on my ford figo but somehow unable to get the perfect grip that i desire to have while quick shifting. Though it does its job as it should but still ball type knobs is my first choice for sure.
              Full Sweep

              Comment


              • #8
                Ronny Vin Diesel's gear shifter reminds me of this meme. Even though the T-type gear knob looks cool, it would suit only automatics where most of the shifting is in one direction. When you have to move it left and right a lot especially while driving the round gear knobs feel better. When moving the T type gear lever to left, the strain would be on your fingers and not on your palm which wouldn't be great on long drives. My choice would be round gear knobs for shot throwing gearboxes and Ford type beefy ones for long throws. In the long throw gear shifters you would prefer holding a little lower to push the lever more easily. However its not a deal breaker for me. Within a few hours, we do get used to the gear knob and can easily manage with any type of gear shifters.
                I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.

                Comment


                • #9
                  [QUOTE=JijoMalayil;n16976]Ronny I like those beefy knobs, like the one seen in Ford cars. It is complemented by those short throw gear box. Just feels Nice


                  Yup! I like those ones too! Feel nice and chunky to hold. Had the normal ball type in my Scorpio 2.6TDI, and but the beefy ones of the XUV combined with the cable shift 6-speed is a breeze!


                  I’ve never really seen the pole type gear knobs. Wonder where they have been used? Doubt it’s in any car sold in India. And it seems to be without any advantage as well.


                  Originally posted by Arjun View Post
                  Ronny
                  Vin Diesel's gear shifter reminds me of this meme.

                  Even though the T-type gear knob looks cool, it would suit only automatics where most of the shifting is in one direction. When you have to move it left and right a lot especially while driving the round gear knobs feel better. When moving the T type gear lever to left, the strain would be on your fingers and not on your palm which wouldn't be great on long drives.
                  My choice would be round gear knobs for shot throwing gearboxes and Ford type beefy ones for long throws. In the long throw gear shifters you would prefer holding a little lower to push the lever more easily.
                  However its not a deal breaker for me. Within a few hours, we do get used to the gear knob and can easily manage with any type of gear shifters.
                  LOL! Yeah, that's hilarious!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like beefy type of gear nob , in fact changed mine ball type of nob of Swift dezire with beefy type which comes with ciaz

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ronny My preference is a type coming in Aspire.It looks good as well as feels good while shifting gears.It even gives a premium look to the cabin.😄

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X