How To Detect Fraud at Petrol Pumps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reshma
    Considering the discussion going on here is it better to switch to a particular brand for petrol for cars as well? Right now I use normal petrol which is around 70Rs/litre in Mumbai. Has anyone used the different options available & has it helped increase mileage?
    More than shifting to any particular brand, it would make sense to identify one petrol pump you trust and keep filling from that pump. You could also considering using premium petrol or adding an additive to the petrol once in every four tankfuls as this keeps the fuel injection system clean.
    Drink coffee and drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Reshma
      Considering the discussion going on here is it better to switch to a particular brand for petrol for cars as well? Right now I use normal petrol which is around 70Rs/litre in Mumbai. Has anyone used the different options available & has it helped increase mileage?

Reshma, like Roshun says stick to a specific pump as far as possible. It's not about a brand, Bharat Petroleum has also come up with a good initiative- Pure for Sure-PLATINUM. These pumps claim to have the best practices for ensuring quality and quantity. Typically COCO [company owned, company operated] pumps might be slightly more reliable than dealer pumps. Private companies' pumps have lesser chances of 'jhol' happening. So when you're zeroing on a pump to stick to, consider these aspects also.

Comment

Shell petrol pumps are the best place to fill fuel.Receipts appears from the machine itself so less chance of cheating.Ganesh_Udupi

Comment

The biggest fraud in the petrol pumps is adultration which is done ouside the petrol pump. Who can control this??

Comment

Vaddiparthi_Ramanarayana Yes, adultration of fuel is a big problem. Even though not a fool proof solution, sticking to company owned and operation petrol pumps helps us avoid this situation to an extent. I have been sticking to COCO fuel pumps and they are quite easily available on the highways. In order to have a good choice of fuel, I start looking for pumps when I reach quater tank when I am driving on the highway. For Diesel, I use Shell, as the price difference is not there anymore as compared to regular petrol pumps. As mentioned by Roshun earlier, the fuel quality is much better at Shell and we manage to get better fuel efficiecny out of it. Reliane has also restarted opearations now and they also have got good fuel quality as compared to the other operators.
            I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaddiparthi_Ramanarayana View Post
              The biggest fraud in the petrol pumps is adultration which is done ouside the petrol pump. Who can control this??
              If you mean the adulteration that happens on the way from the refinery to the petrol pump, then yes, that is the trickiest part. One of the news channels had done a story on that a few years ago, where they showed how the tankers that leave the refinery are stopped, some amount removed, topped up with naptha or something and then sent on their way. It's a comprehensive mafia operation.
              But oil companies, especially the private players [and now increasingly also the govt cos] have initiated measures to monitor the trucks enroute. Things such as GPS tracking, along with electronic seals and other security devices ensure that the trucks are completely monitored and foolproof.

As a thumb rule, however, stick to COCO pumps or Shell/ Reliance pumps. That should ensure that the fuel you use in your car is just about as pure as possible.

Comment

Always a problem in Gurgaon

Comment

Everyone speaks the quantity and quality (adulteration) of the petrol, how can we find if we ask Power petrol but filled with normal unleaded petrol with correct quantity, is there any ways to find which kind of petrol is been filled?

Comment

It is difficult to spot the difference between 97 Octane / 93 Octane and 91/89 Octane petrol. If a pump is really that corrupt so as to fill an entire underground storage tank with a lower quality fuel and sell it as a higher quality fuel, then they will have to be reported. Unlike kerosene which is dyed blue in colour, the different grades of petrol and diesel don't have any distinguishable colour difference, unfortunately.
                    Kamesh_Babhu

Drink coffee and drive!

Comment

I have also felt that they do not start from 0, especially if a small amount was filled earlier. I have now changed my practice. I come out of the car and then tell them the quantity. I prefer auto cut-off position so that the attendant will just lock and wait till it automatically cuts off. Also, suggest avoiding filling after the auto cutoff.

Comment

Gautam _67 Even I prefer Auto cut off, unless I am taking longer drives during uncertain bandh or hartal days where petrol bunks maybe closed, when I want the maximum range. I also modify my driving style to improve the range in such days. The Auto cut off feature also helps you keep a tab on the fuel efficiency when you are using an app like Fuelio. In my opinion keeping an eye on fuel efficiency is important, not just from an economical point of view,but also as a drop in fuel efficiency is an indicator of fuel quality or a problem with the car. Also, its said that as fuel is sold by volume, its best to avoid fueling in the afternoon. The fuel expands and in the afternoon you would get lesser fuel in the same volume than you would get in the evening.
                        I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.

Comment

When to tank up:
                          There is a marginal expansion of volume of fuel during the day. Petrol would expand approximately 1% when the temperature rises from 15 to 24 degrees C. But this temperature change happens during the day overland. Petrol pumps store their stocks in underground tanks, where the temperature variation is not that much. But even if you consider a 1% increase in volume, an average tank up of 30 liters will give you ~300ml less, ie you're paying ~INR 2100 and but getting INR 21 worth of fuel less. This mind you, is considering a 1% volume change, reality is probably even less.
                          If you do want to optimize your refuelling however, it's best not to do it in the evening, because it'll be evening by the time the underground tanks undergo change in temp.

Comment

Originally posted by gautam _67 View Post
                            I have also felt that they do not start from 0, especially if a small amount was filled earlier. I have now changed my practice. I come out of the car and then tell them the quantity. I prefer auto cut-off position so that the attendant will just lock and wait till it automatically cuts off. Also, suggest avoiding filling after the auto cutoff.

It's always the best practice to get out of the car when they are refuelling. It's also perfectly fair to dismiss any other people who may seek your attention while the refuelling is going on. If you're paying by credit card, not to hand over the card to the attendant but make him bring the machine to you or go to the machine yourself and hand it over to him only at the time of inserting it in the machine.

Auto cutoffs:
                            I beg to differ on the matter of auto cut-offs.
                            The auto cut-off system is designed only to ensure that the fuel doesn't overflow by mistake. It doesn't have any connection with the amount of fuel in the tank. The way it works is that there is another pipe called the Venturi, parallel to the fuel nozzle that is air-filled. The moment fuel seeps into the venturi, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle valve open and shuts it down. This can happen even when fuel is gushing out of the nozzle into the tank faster than it can be taken in, and when air gets trapped causing the fuel to back up. Hence, this method is not a very predictable method to judge a tank-full.
                            Try this the next few times you're tanking up: At the auto stop, note the amount of fuel dispensed after the auto cut-off till you start to see the fuel at the neck of the fuel inlet. It'll be different every time. I have experienced that the extra fuel can vary up to 5-7 liters varying from pump to pump, nozzle to nozzle and time to time.

If you want to be on the safe side, it doesn't matter if the a couple of liters of fuel were less- in that case use the auto cut-off method. If however, you keep track of the mileage by the tankful method, then an error is seeping into your calculations, the magnitude of which can vary but it's very much there.

Comment

Another thing one may try is the filling time. Fuel is sold by volume, not weight. It gets heated up in the afternoon and hence one gets lower density fuel. However, mornings are cooler and one can get slightly more fuel.

Comment

Many times I have also faced lights-out problem and they start from 100 but he feeds 400 out of 500 in the panel.

Comment

Working...
                                X