X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NikilSJ
    started a topic Auto Expo 2016: Tata Hexa unveiled, launch soon

Auto Expo 2016: Tata Hexa unveiled, launch soon

Tata Motors unveiled the all-new Hexa SUV at the 13th Auto Expo in Greater Noida. The Hexa, when launched in likely to compete with Mahindra’s XUV 500 and Toyota’s upcoming Innova Crysta. The Hexa, thanks to its butch and rugged looks, will be aimed at car buyers who want the practicality of an MPV but need the street presence of an SUV. In that sense, the Tata Hexa hits the sweet spot as not only does it look tough, it will come with All-Wheel Drive as an option for those brief off-road runs.
    The Hexa looks like a proper hunk. That model though, not so much
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tata Hexa-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	2078

What you’ll like about the Tata Hexa
    • The butch design that means business
    • Shift-on-fly All-wheel drive with Terrain Response System borrowed from Land Rover
    • Premium interior
    • ConnectNext Infotainment system developed by Harman
    • Automatic climate control on middle and top variant
    • 154bhp of max power and 400Nm of peak torque
    • 6-speed manual and AMT option available
    • Driving modes
    • 6- and 7-seater option
    What you won’t like about the Tata Hexa
    • Steering wheel borrowed from the Zest/Bolt doesn’t look too premium
    • 5-inch screen for infotainment system seems to small for this segment
    Exterior
    The profile of the Tata Hexa may be quite familiar to some of you. That’s only because the Hexa is based on the now discontinued Tata Aria MPV. The Aria’s biggest failure was it’s van-like proportions. The design and the exorbitant price tag with which the Aria was launched was one of its biggest downfalls and led to poor sales. But one glance at the Hexa and you realise the amount of effort the designers at Tata have made to set the Hexa apart from the Aria. Gone is the van-like proportions. Instead, you get a very rugged looking SUV with a very functional-looking body cladding all around.

Name:	Tata Hexa-3.jpg
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	2079

At the front, the Hexa gets a completely reworked fascia when compared to the older Aria MPV. The Hexa gets a large chrome-lined grille with honeycomb pattern with a large ’T’ logo stuck bang in the middle. The bumpers are more squarish and chunkier than the Aria’s. The Hexa gets blackened-out headlamps with classy-looking projector headlamps. The LED day-time running lights (DRLs) with chrome-surround are housed just above the fog lamps on the chunky bumper. The faux air intake on the bumper looks like a design element borrowed from the Tata-owned Range Rover cars. The air dam at the front is quite large and makes the Hexa look more rugged than the Aria.
    The profile of the Hexa may be familiar with some of you. That's because the Hexa is based on the now discontinued Aria MPV. The designers have done a splendid job in making the Hexa look less van-like and body cladding and wide wheel arches lend the Hexa a very tough look

Name:	Tata-HEXA-TUFF-front-quarter-Auto-Expo-2016.jpg
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	3810

The clamshell bonnet with a muscular bulge running down the middle adds to the Hexa's imposing street presence. The Hexa's design looks more cohesive than it's main rival - Mahindra's XUV500. The front is more squarish than the Aria's too.

Name:	Tata-HEXA-TUFF-front-three-quarter-Auto-Expo-2016.jpg
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	3811

Here is a shot of the older Aria for comparison

The Hexa gets projector headlamps as standard

Name:	Tata-HEXA-TUFF-headlight-Auto-Expo-2016.jpg
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	3812

The LED DRLs and fog lamps are housed in the faux air dam. The overall design feels like it's been lifted off a Land Rover

Name:	13b.jpeg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	3813

Don't they look a lot like the ones on the Land Rover Discovery Sport below

I guess it's only right since Tata owns Jaguar Land Rover!
    The bonnet gets a clamshell design with muscular bulges running right through the middle. The front fascia, in my opinion, is more butch than Mahindra’s XUV 500 and I’d gladly move out of the way if I see one barreling down the road on my rear view mirror. Unlike the XUV 500, there is no mishmash of design elements and looks more cohesive than its rival from Mahindra.

Name:	Tata Hexa-4.jpg
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	2081

Name:	4.jpeg
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	3821

The XUV 500 certainly looks like a true blue SUV, the Hexa isn't bad either
    A side-on shot reveals the gargantuan size of the Hexa. Since it shares the same platform as the Aria, the dimensions are pretty much the same. The Hexa measures 4,746mm in length, 1,895mm in width and an imposing 1,780mm in height. That means the Hexa is 160mm longer and 5mm wider than the XUV 500. The Mahindra SUV, however, stands a tad bit higher than the Hexa by 5mm.

But more than the dimensions, what grabbed my attention was the changes Tata has made to the side of the car to keep it apart from the Aria MPV. The changes are substantial, starting with the body cladding I mentioned before which are subtle and not too -in-your-face’.
    The Aria looked too plain and the van-like proportions didn't help sales either
    The Hexa previewed at the Auto Expo was shod with 19-inch wheels with 235/55 rubber. To me, these wheels looked quite large for the Hexa. In fact, it looked like something people would do to their cars on ‘Pimp My Ride’. Expect the final production variant of the Hexa to come with 18-inch wheels as standard with the top-end variant getting the option of 19-inchers.
    19-inch wheels look too large. I'd rather prefer 18-inch wheels with chunky rubber

Name:	6b.jpeg
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	3822

Dual exhaust outlets scream for attention. This plus a wicked exhaust note should get the enthusiasts' heart pumping

Name:	9.jpeg
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	3823

Tata will also equip the Hexa with ORVMs with integrated turn-indicators as that is the norm in the segment these days. Both the XUV 500 and the upcoming Toyota Innova Crysta will come equipped with ORVMs with turn indicators.

The Hexa’s glasshouse is identical to the Aria’s but to give it a different look, Tata has added a little kink finished in chrome at the C-pillar with the words ‘HEXA’ etched into it. The B, C, and D-pillar get the blackened-out treatment to give the roof a floating effect. The final effect is quite striking and manages to make the Hexa more premium that its rivals.
    From the rear, the Hexa looks completely different from the Aria MPV it is based on. Gone are the Indica-like upward stacked tail lights. Instead, the Hexa gets all-new LED tail lamps that wraps around the rear. But the most noticeable feature at the rear are definitely the twin exhaust outlets that just screams for attention. Overall, Tata designers have done a splendid job in making the Hexa look rugged. The macho design is surely going to lure a lot of customers who would otherwise have considered buying the XUV 500. Most importantly though, the design is so un-MPVish that it makes the Toyotal Innova Crysta look like a jaded people carrier.
    The Aria-roots are visible only from this angle. But the Hexa has enough elements to set it apart from its predecessor. The 'christmas tree' tail lights on the Aria has made way for a horizontally-placed tail lamps. The chrome bar connecting the tail lamps are a bit too garish in my opinion.
    At the Auto Expo, Tata even showcased a special edition version of the SUV called Hexa Tuff. Tata says the Hexa Tuff is a personalised version aimed at “active lifestyle seekers” (read: off-rad enthusiasts). So what do you get on the Tuff variant?
    • A more muscular-looking body kit.
    • 3D mats on the inside
    • Head-up display
    • Tyre monitoring system
    • Navigation system
    • Cycle carrier

Name:	Tata Hexa-1.jpg
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	2080

Name:	DSC04735.jpeg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	3826

Name:	Tata-HEXA-TUFF-rear-quarters-Auto-Expo-2016.jpg
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	3827

Expect some of these features to make it to the top-end version of the Hexa as well.Images courtesy indianautosblog.com, team-bhp.com

Attached Files
    Last edited by NikilSJ; 24-02-16, 01:17 PM.

• Ativeer
    replied
    <a href="https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/profile/11">kaiserketkar</a>Sir XUV is much better than Hexa. HEXA,s interior looks dated and the design also adds to the drama Hexa's poor sale is making it worse than the XUV. XUV gives u a lot of feature even more than the Fortuner.<br>

Leave a comment:

• Ativeer
    replied
    <a href="https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/profile/20">NikilSJ</a>&nbsp;Sir the back look is very dated and is not eye catching. The automatic gearbox is not smooth and the interiors make u feel like u r in zest or bolt.or tigor<br><br>

Leave a comment:

• themallustig
    replied
    After a really long wait, the reviews have started pouring in after the Hexa's media preview. Here is Autocar's take on the same. Minor ergonomics niggles, heavy steering and notchy manual gearbox. But according to the reviewer, the automatic impressed them, along with the ride quality and features on offer.

Leave a comment:

• Arjun
    replied
    JOY MRC I really hope the Hexa picks up sales. Though, I won't be buying this car now( strict used car only policy) , after 2 years (2018/9) , when my next car is up for replacement, this is the kind of vehicle I would like to replace it with. I am sure Tata will surprise us(pleasently) with the Hexa. They have managed to do that with the Zest, Tiago and I am sure theu wouldn't disappoint us with the Hexa. From what I have seen till date, Tata always undercuts the market predictions with regards to pricing. The gap between the launch and media drive maybe for the same reason.Tiago would have raised their spirits and also would help mend their market image. If they manage to get one successful car each in both ends of their portfolio, they will be able to get more successful products into the portfolio bases on the image built by these two.

Leave a comment:

• JOY MRC
    replied
    kaiserketkar I too love the blue shade and the overall looks of the vehicle(still, too much chrome at the rear for my liking). I hope people too feel the same way and HEXA manages to sell in good volumes like the Zica. oops... Tiago

Leave a comment:

• Roshun
    replied
    NikilSJ
    Tata has a lot riding on the Hexa. Like I had said earlier, it would do well to price it at a very attractive introductory price, below the XUV and Innova, to get back in the game. The Aria hangover is still there, so if buyers even sniff anything Aria with the Hexa, it wouldn&#39;t work quite well for the company. The reviews are still not out because of an embargo, and a lot is riding upon what the media says about the Hexa. I guess that&#39;s why there is a huge gap between the media reviews appearing and the actual vehicle launch, which I hear is to take place in January. If there are any negatives that come out during the media review, Tata would likely work on fixing it before the actual launch of the vehicle. It really has thrown in all the chips on this one. As far as the design goes, it so far has been getting good feedback. Let&#39;s wait and see what the drive reports say.
    kaiserketkar
    Abhay_V and Karthikeya are at the media drive of the Hexa. All reports will appear tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• NikilSJ
    replied
    [QUOTE_NODE]"Originally posted by CorsaVeloce" If the Cartoq article is to be trusted, the Hexa will be priced below the Innova Crysta and XUV, thereby giving it an edge. The Hexa is going to sell around Rs. 17.49 lakhs, ex-Showroom, Pune for the top-end XT 4×4 MT variant and INR 17.44 lakhs, ex-Showroom, Pune for the top-end automatic variant, the XTA 4×2 AT. Both, AT and MT variants will feature a 6-speed boxes, which could be the game changer for Tata. Arvind Fluidic, the website link is this - "http://hexa.tatamotors.com/" Also, prospective customers can give a missed call on to 8306688282 and drop in their details. [/QUOTE_NODE] Yes, the Tata Hexa will surely be priced below the Innova Crysta. If Tata can convicne prospective customers about the reliability of these new Tata products, then I'm sure they will be able to take a good slice of the MUV/SUV segment. But I'm not sure if it will be cheaper than the XUV 5OO. I think it will be more or less on par with the Mahindra.

Leave a comment:

• NikilSJ
    replied
    [QUOTE_NODE]"Originally posted by kaiserketkar" I somehow really like the way the Hexa has turned out, especially if you look at it's precursor. This blue color really looks appealing, I'm loving it. Hope it looks just as good in person. Roshun who from Zigwheels is at the #HexaExperience drive today? [/QUOTE_NODE] Yes, I saw it at the Expo and it looked really good in the flesh. However, the 5-inch touchscreen is a bit too small for an SUV this size. I really liked the effort Tata has put in to make the Hexa's interior premium. It looks way better than the Aria for sure.

Leave a comment:

• NikilSJ
    replied
    Kaiserketkar, I think Abhay is at the Hyderabad drive and so is Karthikeya Singhee who recently joined our company after quitting Autocar

Leave a comment:

• kaiserketkar
    replied
    [QUOTE_NODE]"Originally posted by JOY MRC" HEXA microsite is now live - http://hexa.tatamotors.com/ [/QUOTE_NODE] I somehow really like the way the Hexa has turned out, especially if you look at it's precursor. This blue color really looks appealing, I'm loving it. Hope it looks just as good in person. Roshun who from Zigwheels is at the #HexaExperience drive today?

Leave a comment:

• JOY MRC
    replied
    Originally posted by Arvind Fluidic View Post
    Indian auto blog has reported that a new micro site for the upcoming Tata Hexa is live now. It also further states that the new website allows interested customers, to enter their personal details so that they can be intimated upon the car&#39;s launch as well as for requesting a test drive upon the car&#39;s launch.

But i searched for the micro site, but unable to find it. If anyone finds it, it would be helpful if you post a link of it here. Image: IAB.
    HEXA microsite is now live - http://hexa.tatamotors.com/

Name:	TATA.jpg
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	9041

Leave a comment:

• CorsaVeloce
    replied
    If the Cartoq article is to be trusted, the Hexa will be priced below the Innova Crysta and XUV, thereby giving it an edge. The Hexa is going to sell around Rs. 17.49 lakhs, ex-Showroom, Pune for the top-end XT 4×4 MT variant and INR 17.44 lakhs, ex-Showroom, Pune for the top-end automatic variant, the XTA 4×2 AT. Both, AT and MT variants will feature a 6-speed boxes, which could be the game changer for Tata. Arvind Fluidic, the website link is this - "http://hexa.tatamotors.com/" Also, prospective customers can give a missed call on to 8306688282 and drop in their details.

Leave a comment:

• Arvind Fluidic
    replied
    Indian auto blog has reported that a new micro site for the upcoming Tata Hexa is live now. It also further states that the new website allows interested customers, to enter their personal details so that they can be intimated upon the car's launch as well as for requesting a test drive upon the car's launch. But i searched for the micro site, but unable to find it. If anyone finds it, it would be helpful if you post a link of it here. Image: IAB.

Leave a comment:

• JijoMalayil
    replied
    The media preview/drive for the Tata Hexa has begun in Hyderabad and here are a few more facts that have been revealed about the Hexa.

Name:	Tata_hexa-infographic_Exteriors.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	9042
    Your smartphone can be doubled up as a remote control for mood lighting and the infotainment system. The sound system is 10-speaker JBL unit which Tata claims that 1000 hours have gone into custom tunning it. Hexa was tested over 8 lakh kilometres across Europe, Asia and Australia where the temperatures varied from -20 to 50-degree celsius.

Name:	Tata_hexa-Interiors.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	9043
    The Hexa Automatic has a Race Car sensing function that adjusts gear shifts to ensure the engine stays in the 3000-4000 rpm band. Hexa carries a kerb weight of 2280 kilos and has a ground clearance of 200 mm. The fuel tank capacity is 60 litres. 6-speed Auto gets two driving modes- Eco & Sport. The 6-speed Manual gets four- Comfort, Dynamic, Rough Road & Auto.

Name:	Tata_hexa-infographic_Engine.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	9044
    Hexa comes with all-black interiors and is offered in 6/7/8 seat configurations. Bookings open from 1st of November and will be launched in January 2017. Quite impressive, If priced in the expected Rs 12-18 lakh mark, it would be a great VFM product.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X