Bajaj CS 400 Spotted! May be launched mid 2016

Bajaj CS 400 Spotted..

• 13 Apr 2016, 22597 Views

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1802

• 13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm ( 5 Photos )
Great news to Pulsar fans! The CS 400 is going to hit the markets soon! Bajaj's first power cruiser in the market- CS 400 has been recently spotted, testing under camouflage in India. Christened as Pulsar Cruiser Sport (CS) 400, the bike is expected to create waves in the market as it would definitely be a cheaper, yet promising alternative to the brutal Duke 390.
Love it:
  • Muscular, power-cruiser like design
  • Expect good performance from the engine borrowed from the Duke
  • Features such as dual instrument clusters, dual disc brakes, etc.
Hate it:
  • It took so long for Bajaj to come up with a proper Duke 390 rival
  • No Upside Down forks
Stand out features:
The bike's revolutionary 'power cruiser' design is a segment first and might just appeal everyone. Also, it gets all the goodies as expected from a Bajaj product. If it is priced
right and if the power figures are anywhere close to 40bhp, then it has the chance to make even the Duke 390 feel expensive!
One good thing about the camo colour is that it is easily recognizable as an upcoming bike.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

Note the well padded seat and wide dragster-like handlebars
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

The rear is well deigned. The meaty rear tire accentuates the muscular front
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

Image credit: technwheelz.com
The engine is expected to be a watered-down version of the Duke 390, tuned for cruising. This 'de-tuning' may actually have a positive effect in keeping the costs low. Going by Bajaj's drool-worthy pricing, my guess would be around 1.5 lacs. If they manage to price it at around that mark, then I'm sure it will set the market on fire!
The camouflaged version retains the split digital console. Sadly no USD (Upside Down) forks is seen on the production ready version. Other than that, the bike has retained almost all the elements which were there in the concept version, including illuminated switchgear, dual disc brakes with ABS, gas charged monoshock suspension and the likes. Kudos to Bajaj on that!

The bike also features a stubby silencer, split seats and the overall design of the bike reminds me very much of Ducati's Diavel. From the pictures, the bike looks a bit long. But this long wheelbase will help in keeping the bike stable at high speeds, a trait, essential for cruisers. The front forks has also undergone an increased rake angle when compared to the other Pulsars. The visual mass is more concentrated towards the front end of the bike, which indeed looks muscular. The stubby exhaust and the long swingarm at the rear effectively complement the design. The rear lights are also similar to the Diavel, yet retains the aura of the traditional 'Pulsar lights.' The rear pillion looks flat and broad enough to be comfortable. Expect the bike to be launched in the middle of this year.
Will it be a worthy contender to the Duke 390? Only time will tell!
Here are the photos of the concept version:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 3 Jun 2016, 4:18 pm
According to a report from NDTV Auto, Bajaj has confirmed the launch of the CS 400, possibly in the next quarter (July/ August/ September). Bajaj Auto President of Business Development & Assurance, S Ravikumar said, "We are planning to launch an upgrade for the Platina and a totally new Pulsar at the top-end in the next quarter." hinting at the CS 400. The Platina, in all probability, will get a visual treatment.
I can't wait for the "Indian Diavel" to hit the market! The Duke's engine, even though it is likely to be detuned, will provide the bike with ample power and the Bajaj tag would help keep the prices within reach.
One thing I have noticed is, on the launching powerful, affordable bikes like these, the number of fatalities have also gone up. Many irresponsible riders with the right amount of cash end up buying these powerful bikes and ride recklessly. The other day I saw two riders, one in a KTM RC 200 and another in RC 390 zoom between traffic without helmets. It is people like these who pose a threat not only to themselves, but also to other road users. Our country's two wheeler licensing should be based on the engine capacity or power to weight ratio. But who am I kidding, they'd rather ban all the performance two wheelers on account of them being 'dangerous'.

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2041

• 8 Jun 2016, 10:20 am ( 2 Photos )
More shots of the CS 400 confirms that the bike will be equipped with dual-channel ABS (both discs have ABS rings).
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

The headlamp unit is carried forward from the concept version, with hardly any chage.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->

Bajaj in all probaility will launch the CS400 by September this year and the fastest and the most powerful Pulsar will target touring enthusiasts.
Image:- indianautosblog.com

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 1845

• 8 Jun 2016, 10:39 am
I like the fact that Bajaj has this healthy co-opetition going on within its portfolio. They wait for KTM or Kawasaki to launch a model and then bring in a rival from the Bajaj brand. Actually, more KTM than Kawasaki. Example, when KTM launched the Duke 200, Bajaj was quick to use the same mechanicals and launch the Pulsar NS200 with the same engine to rival the Duke. Sales revenue from both go into the Bajaj coffers anyway in India. Now after the Duke 390, comes the Pulsar CS400. And Bajaj is considerably cheaper! In the car world, I can draw a parallel with the VW group - Audi / Skoda and VW, and their engine sharing.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 8 Jun 2016, 10:47 am
JijoMalayil The Pulsar CS 400 is going to make a valuable proposition, especially considering power-to-VFM ratio. But I think people who are serious about riding will still consider the Duke 390 because well, it is a KTM! I have a feeling Bajaj may soon come up with CS 400-centric touring events after the bike is launched.

NikilSJ

Total Posts: 2126

• 8 Jun 2016, 10:53 am
Praveen if the CS400 is launched with a conventional front fork, is it possible to go for an aftermarket upside down fork without changing anything mechanically? Also, will it affect the ride and dynamics of the bike? I know an old friend of mine who had the original Pulsar 200. He had done the conversion, but unfortunately he totalled the bike a couple of days after. So I was just wondering if the conversion was to blame for it or his stupidity

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 8 Jun 2016, 11:03 am
Roshun This type of product platform sharing can offer aspiring riders plenty of choice over a wide budget bracket. A person wanting Duke 390- like performance with limited budget can opt for a CS 400. I think the CS 400 will be more comfortable than the Duke 390, thus attracting more touring enthusiasts. Whereas people prioritizing performance will go for the Duke 390. That way, everyone wins!

JijoMalayil

• 8 Jun 2016, 11:15 am
Praveen Yes, the price difference is considerable between KTM and Bajaj products. The Pulsar 200NS costs under 1 lakh rupees, while the Duke 200 retails at 1.55 lacs. Silmilary, if Bajaj prices the upcoming CS 400 at around 1.6 lacs, it would be epic! FYI, the Duke 390 costs around 1.95 lakh rupees.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 8 Jun 2016, 11:19 am
NikilSJ I am not sure about installing aftermarket Upside down forks on the CS 400 as it is an all new bike. We'll have to wait till the aftermarket manufacturers come up with one specifically designed for the CS 400. The advantage of using an Upside Down fork is it reduces the steering inertia as the weight is concentrated more on the steering side rather than the wheel-side. In that way, the unspring mass is also reduced.
Moreover, the overlap inside the fork is also more because the sliders are longer than conventional forks. That gives USD (Upside Down) forks more rigidity. All in all, USDs are superior to conventional forks. But, conventional forks are cheaper and that is probably why the CS 400 comes with it, to keep the costs down.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 8 Jun 2016, 11:29 am
JijoMalayil Yeah, 400cc bike for less than 2 lac will be a very tempting option for many prospective buyers! It would be similar to how Mahindra priced the Mojo. Sadly, the Mojo isn't doing that well in the market and I think the main reasons being lack of proper dealerships and service center and the eccentric styling of the bike which may not be everyone's cup of tea. I personally have no problems with the bike's styling, though. And, by the way, the Mojo sounds wonderful! Those dual exhausts make it sound like it is a much bigger bike than it is!

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 10 Jun 2016, 4:02 pm ( 1 Video)
Now, more and more clips are surfacing online about the sightings of the new Pulsar CS 400. The latest one is this video taken by a rider with a GoPro in Maharashtra. Check it out.

The video gives an idea about how the riding posture is and you can also hear the exhaust note a bit. Apparently, the bike is very well capable of handling triple digit speeds as the rider in the video struggles to keep pace with the CS 400 post 100 kmph.

NikilSJ

• 10 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm
"Originally posted by Praveen"
Apparently, the bike is very well capable of handling triple digit speeds as the rider in the video struggles to keep pace with the CS 400 post 100 kmph.
I wouldn't say the rider couldn't keep up. He is riding a Yamaha R15, so it would have been possible to just stay behind the CS400. Maybe he was backing out to give us a clearer shot of the bike. Maybe

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 10 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm
NikilSJ
Sounded to me that he was pretty unsure at first of what it was and then backed off to think. Also, I think he's a sensible rider, not exceeding the speed limit by much "Ok, I'm at 117 kmph" he does say at one point. The CS400 is pulling away even at that speed.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 21 Jun 2016, 3:21 pm ( 1 Video)
Yet another sighting of the CS 400 test mule in NH4 highway: This time a Duke 200 gets left to dust by the CS 400! The Duke, by any means is no slouch but the amount of power the CS 400 offers is simply amazing! Check out the video:

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 21 Jun 2016, 4:10 pm ( 1 Photo , 1 Video)
Yet another sighting of the CS 400 test mule in NH4 highway: This time a Duke 200 gets left to dust by the CS 400! The Duke, by any means is no slouch but the amount of power the CS 400 offers is simply amazing! Check out the video:
Guess what we also spotted two Bajaj CS400 test mules on NH7 (Bangalore - Hyderabad) highway when we were on ZigDrive 6, with the convoy heading to Avalabetta. There were two of them. Both had pillion riders and were riding really fast. We didn't bother to chase for spy shots because we were in a convoy. Here's one photo, I managed of them.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_7## -->

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 28 Jul 2016, 3:41 pm
The cat is finally out of the bag! The Pulsar CS 400 is set to be launched in August! Rajiv Bajaj, MD of Bajaj Auto has confirmed to a website that the launch will happen next month. The CS 400 will be the first bike to be equipped with LED headlamps. The price is likely to be Rs. 2 Lacs or just under it. I think it will definitely undercut Duke 390, at least in terms of price.

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 28 Jul 2016, 5:08 pm
Pulsar fans will rejoice. The Pulsar CS400 at a price point of about Rs. 2 lakh sounds like a good deal. Let's see what Bajaj will price it at finally. Since the engine block is from the Duke 390, one can expect pretty good performance from it - at least 44 horses from that one cylinder. But do you think someone who is keen on a KTM would be swayed by a Pulsar?

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 28 Jul 2016, 6:20 pm
Roshun I think it will appeal to those who want a decently powered cruiser and are not so keen on Royal Enfields. The Duke is a capable tourer, but it is not built specifically for it. The CS 400 on the other hand, looks promising. If it does well in sales, then I think Bajaj will even bring up its official riding group, just like they did for the Avenger and the RS 200.

JijoMalayil

• 29 Jul 2016, 11:15 am
Praveen If Bajaj manages to price the CS400 at around Rs 1.8 lacs, it will make great value-for-money. And take on the Mahindra Mojo straight on, or just kill the market for it. Becoming the most sensible & affordable cruiser around.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 29 Jul 2016, 12:41 pm
JijoMalayil I really hope Mahindra expands its dealer and service network and comes with an ABS equipped version of the Mojo. There is no escaping from doing these two things if Mahindra wants to survive in the premium two wheeler segment. At least on paper, I think the CS 400 will outperform the Mojo by a considerable margin. Only a proper road test of the two bike will reveal which one is really better.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 30 Jul 2016, 8:11 pm ( 5 Photos )
Here's autocar's spy shots of the production version of the bike. Going by the pictures, it is more or less the similar to the camouflaged ones we have been seeing in so many places.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_8## -->

This would be the first Pulsar to sport LED headlight
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_9## -->

The seats look comfortable and the seats coupled with the large fuel tank and comfortable riding position hints at touring
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_10## -->

The exhaust could have been finished better, in my opinion.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_11## -->

The engine comes with triple-spark technology
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_12## -->

Vijender Singh ..

First Gear

Member: 13 Apr, 2016

Total Posts: 3

• 1 Aug 2016, 8:00 pm
I believe power output would be around 43 bhp because I am sure they will try to give competition to yamaha R3 as well apart from duke 390

Vijender Singh ..

First Gear

• 1 Aug 2016, 8:04 pm

I do not like the rear mudguard. It is like copied directly from Duke. NS200 rear was best.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 2 Aug 2016, 11:50 am
Vijender Singh Ahluwalia
True, it is likely to give a tough competition to the R3 and considering the slow sales of the R3, I don't think Pulsar has to worry about Yamaha, at least for a considerable period of time. Yamaha is now focussing more on the commuter segment and looks like they are not doing well in that either, barring the sales of Fascino. The Saluto RX did not justify the RX moniker for sure and despite that they are trying their best. I say, bring the R25 with a competitive price in India. Either that or the price of the R3 needs to be reduced considerably to make an impact in the budget performance segment.

Vijender Singh ..

First Gear

• 3 Aug 2016, 12:51 am
I personally believe they also need to launch Bajaj SS400 soon, because now I heard the news of TVS Akula launching, with price as low as KTM RC 200 would affect the sales of Pulsar CS 400.

JijoMalayil

• 4 Aug 2016, 1:30 pm ( 1 Video)
Here is the exhaust note of the Pulsar CS400. A pulsating idle which transforms into a snarly exhaust note under throttle.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 4 Aug 2016, 1:46 pm
JijoMalayil These riders who test the pre-production versions- they are not supposed to stop and show off to the public, right? Because, the whole point of camouflaging is to prevent people from seeing the product before the launch, right? On a side note, the exhaust note could have been deeper, complementing the butch looks of the bike. But then I cannot judge the exhaust note solely by the video quality. I think something similar to Mojo's exhaust note would be apt for the CS 400.

NikilSJ

• 4 Aug 2016, 1:54 pm
JijoMalayil, the CS400's note sounds raspy. Not bad for a pre-production test mule. I am sure Bajaj will tune the note and make it a notch higher for the final production version. For now, all we can do is just sit and wait.

CorsaVeloce

"Stage 3 Mod"

Total Posts: 1268

• 5 Aug 2016, 1:12 pm ( 1 Video)
Another video that has just surfaced the web has a passerby kindly ask the test rider to rev the engine of the test mule. Not bad I say!!

JijoMalayil

• 10 Aug 2016, 10:39 am ( 1 Photo )
A non-ABS version of the upcoming Bajaj Pulsar CS400 was spotted. This is supposed to be the base variant. Bajaj is likely to price the CS400 very agressively starting at around Rs 1.6 lakhs in India.
Image:- shifting-gears.com

JijoMalayil

• 17 Aug 2016, 3:34 pm ( 2 Photos )
The official brochure and the ARAI test report of the Bajaj new flagship cruiser reveal that the new Pulsar will be called VS400 and not CS400!

The engine as per this document, is a 373.27 cc generating 35 PS@8,000 rpm. The same engine delivers 44 PS on the KTM twins.

Bajaj Pulsar VS400, Does the V stand for Victory as in the case of Bajaj V15? Don't tell me it has parts of INS Vikrant in it
Image:- maxabout.com

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 17 Aug 2016, 4:02 pm
JijoMalayil I knew they'd detune the engine and make it more suitable for cruising! Looks like they changed the name as the last resort to make things interesting as people already knew almost everything about the bike lol

JijoMalayil

• 17 Aug 2016, 5:39 pm
Praveen Maybe! All boils down to the price now. Around Rs 1.6 lakh mark would be a sweet spot. Will Bajaj be able to price the CS400, Sorry the VS400 around that mark?

NikilSJ

• 24 Aug 2016, 11:49 am ( 9 Photos )
The highly-anticipated launch of the Bajaj Pulsar VS400 is just around the corner. How do we know that? That’s because a completely undisguised version was spotted on public roads.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_13## -->

The new bike will be named the VS400 instead of CS400. The ‘VS’ moniker stands for Vantage Sport. From the shots, it is clear that Bajaj has taken inspiration from bikes like the Ducati Diavel for the VS400.
An Autocar India reader posted these images on the website. The bike stays true to the concept that was shown at the 2014 Auto Expo. Though the VS400 will be more touring-focused, it does not adopt a conventional cruiser look. It looks more like a hybrid between a cruiser and a street fighter. The slighlty raked front-end like the Mahindra Mojo should help the VS400 be an able highway cruiser.
The front cowl features a swept back visor and all-new LED headlight setup. The VS400, however, will not sport the USD forks shown at the Expo and instead will use regular telescopic forks. At the rear, the VS400 will sport a monoshock suspension as is the norm these days.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_14## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_15## -->

The muscular tank seems to have been inspired from the older NS200. The VS400 also comes with a long, deep and generous seat which should be ideal for those long, tiring rides.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_16## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_17## -->
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_18## -->

The tail section is upswept and ends abruptly like the Ducati Diavel and sports the signature Pulsar twin-slash LED-taillights.
The Autocar report says that the VS400 will come with a chunky box-section swingarm along with a long wheelbase which should give the bike good high-speed stability. The report also says this could lead to the VS400 losing the light and flickable nature of the Pulsar. However, let’s not come to a conclusion just yet and wait for some proper reviews to come out. Unlike the KTM 390 Duke, Bajaj won’t equip the VS400 with Metzler rubber and instead opt for the MRF Revz C1 tyres as they have a longer life even though they have less outright grip.
The Pulsar VS400’s engine will be derived from KTM’s fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, 373cc single cylinder engine from the 390 Duke. The basic engine structure will remain the same but the setup will be different. Bajaj will give this engine its signature triple-spark technology which will give the VS400 about 40hp of peak power (4hp down from the KTM 390) and 30Nm of torque. The engine will be tuned for touring purposes and won’t be as frantic as the KTM’s. A six-speed gearbox is also expected.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_19## -->
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_20## -->

The speedometer is an all-digital affair and the flat-ish handlebars should be comfortable on long-rides as well.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_21## -->

The VS400 will feature disc brakes at both the front and the rear. A single-channel ABS is likely to be part of standard equipment too. Dual-channel ABS might come in later in 2018 when the new law to make cars and bikes safer comes into place.
The VS400 is likely to be priced between Rs 1.6 lakh to Rs 1.7 lakh. The more-expensive Mahindra Mojo is the only possible competitor for the VS400.

MotuSid

Hot Hatcher

Total Posts: 317

• 24 Aug 2016, 1:58 pm ( 1 Photo )
Is it just me or does the VS 400 look a lot like the Mojo 300?
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_22## -->

NikilSJ

• 24 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm
MotuSid if you just look at it in profile, it sort of does. Especially, the front cowl and the short and stubby rear end. USD forks would have enhanced the VS400's looks though I feel.

Lakshman_A

First Gear

Member: 04 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 2

• 4 Sep 2016, 12:48 pm
JijoMalayil
it is very saddening to know that there will be no inverted telescopes as the concept, I can't find a reason why not? Even the mojo has inverted forks. That would have made the bike an overall improvement in looks as well.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 5 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm
Lakshman_A The reason why Bajaj VS 400 doesn't have inverted forks is due to cost constraints. Also, inverted forks are expensive to maintain. The oil reservoir is at the top and if there is any oil leakage, then the oil drains quickly as opposed to normal forks in which the oil reservoir is at the bottom. The advantage of inverted forks is that it reduces unsprung weight and aids in handling. But Bajaj isn't keen on extracting pure performance from the VS 400 as it is only a cruiser. That is probably why they stuck with the regular forks.
The USD sourced by Bajaj from WP (Seen in KTM bikes) may be more expensive than what Mahindra is using for Mojo and that may also be the reason why they are using normal forks.

Lakshman_A

First Gear

Member: 04 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 2

• 6 Sep 2016, 9:28 pm
Lakshman_A The reason why Bajaj VS 400 doesn't have inverted forks is due to cost constraints. Also, inverted forks are expensive to maintain. The oil reservoir is at the top and if there is any oil leakage, then the oil drains quickly as opposed to normal forks in which the oil reservoir is at the bottom. The advantage of inverted forks is that it reduces unsprung weight and aids in handling. But Bajaj isn't keen on extracting pure performance from the VS 400 as it is only a cruiser. That is probably why they stuck with the regular forks.
The USD sourced by Bajaj from WP (Seen in KTM bikes) may be more expensive than what Mahindra is using for Mojo and that may also be the reason why they are using normal forks.

Thanks for the info. I have been reading about it and looks like it is hard to maintain. Anyway waiting for a release date.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 13 Sep 2016, 11:14 am
Word is that the VS 400 might be available in two guises. One will have a de-tuned engine (34-odd bhp) and the more expensive, more powerful one will probably have the same tuning as the Duke's powerplant. According to sources at Motoroctane, the more powerful version is likely to get slipper clutch along with ABS. Makes sense, doesn't it? If one wants a no-nonsense Duke-rival from Bajaj, they can go ahead with the more powerful variant! If one's on a budget, then they can opt for the cheaper variant. I think it is a win-win situation. JijoMalayil

JijoMalayil

• 13 Sep 2016, 11:27 am
Praveen Slipper clutch for a cruiser? Is it really necessary? Not very sure if Bajaj will tune the engine seperately for different variants, I think they are just rumours!

NikilSJ

• 22 Sep 2016, 11:40 am
The managing director of Bajaj Auto, Rajiv Bajaj, in an interview revealed that the new VS400 will be launched in the same segment as motorcycles from Royal Enfield. This makes Bajaj Auto the first manufacturer to enter the same segment as Royal Enfield. Bajaj said the VS400 is all ready for launch but the company is delaying the launch of the new cruiser that festive season volumes are not affected because of the launch of an all-new model. The delayed timeline will surely give the Indian bike manufacturer to ensure that the new model is ready for the market.
The company also revealed that the new VS400 will not carry the Pulsar moniker as previously reported. The reason for this could be that the Pulsar branding usually stands for sporty performance with an attractive pricing.
Rajiv Bajaj said that the VS400 will not rake in the same numbers as Royal Enfields as the Chennai-based manufacturer is the market leader in the cruiser segment. But Bajaj said that he expects Siddhartha Lal, CEO and MD of Eicher Motors that owns Royal Enfiled, to promote the new VS400 as the cruiser segment is all about brotherhood and sharing the same passion.
He also said that customers could expect the new 2017 range of Pulsars soon with revised styling and performance upgrades. Over the last year, the company has gained 5-6 per cent market share in the country thanks to the resounding response to the V and new Avenger series. The company is now set to raise their sales figures from 1.9-1.9 lakh units a month to 2.2-2.3 lakh units after the new VS400 is launched.

JijoMalayil

• 22 Sep 2016, 11:55 am
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"
But Bajaj said that he expects Siddhartha Lal, CEO and MD of Eicher Motors that owns Royal Enfiled, to promote the new VS400 as the cruiser segment is all about brotherhood and sharing the same passion.

What? Does he really expect the Sid Lal to do that! No wonder why Bajaj recently came out with that "Brotherhood" ad where an Avenger and Royal Enfield were seen together somewhere in Ladakh. Here is the video - #Letusrideasone :P

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 22 Sep 2016, 12:46 pm
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"
The managing director of Bajaj Auto, Rajiv Bajaj, in an interview revealed that the new VS400 will be launched in the same segment as motorcycles from Royal Enfield. Rajiv Bajaj said that the VS400 will not rake in the same numbers as Royal Enfields as the Chennai-based manufacturer is the market leader in the cruiser segment. But Bajaj said that he expects Siddhartha Lal, CEO and MD of Eicher Motors that owns Royal Enfiled, to promote the new VS400 as the cruiser segment is all about brotherhood and sharing the same passion.

I hope the VS 400 will change the perception of Bajaj's cruisers being the poor man's Royal Enfield. I don't think Bajaj can expect much from Royal Enfield as they seem to be going on full offensive in their goal to become the no.1 middle weight bike manufacturer. This isn't surprising considering their R&D on a 750cc parallel twin engine and their (alleged) plans of phasing out the 350 cc motors and upgrading them with a bigger engine, most likely the 410cc powerplant.

JijoMalayil

• 23 Sep 2016, 5:46 pm ( 1 Photo )
Another shot of the upcoming Bajaj VS400. Dual-channel ABS and just look at that front disc, 320 mm?

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 26 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm
JijoMalayil Yes, I think it is 320mm. Even Mahindra Mojo also has similarly sized front discs. I hope VS 400's brakes doesn't end up being as 'wooden' as the Mojo's.

JijoMalayil

• 26 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm
Praveen I'm a little skeptical of the Bajaj VS 400 taking on the Royal Enfield bikes in India though. They have their own charm and image, breaching into that territory is going to be really difficult. I bet you agree, being an RE owner!

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 26 Sep 2016, 1:47 pm
JijoMalayil
I think it will be awkward because at least on paper, the VS 400 is superior to Royal Enfield motorcycles. Considering this, I don't think RE will support Bajaj. A person wanting a cruiser/ tourer may sway towards the VS 400 owing to superior technology. But a person wanting a Royal Enfield will go for it even if the bike has any blatant shortcomings. Because Royal Enfield is that well established.

JijoMalayil

• 27 Sep 2016, 2:40 pm
According to reports, Bajaj is to name their new cruiser under the brand name of Kratos. thus making it Bajaj Kratos VS400. 'Kratos' is a Greek God of war and personifies strength, might, sovereign rule and authority in all its forms, the report states.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 27 Sep 2016, 3:36 pm
JijoMalayil
Kratos? Reminds me of the anti-hero from the game series 'God Of War'. In a way, the name 'Kratos' suits the bike because of its muscular, Diavel-ish styling.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 15 Nov 2016, 3:20 pm
Bajaj Kratos 400 to be renamed as Dominar 400:
Apparently, Bajaj is unable to register the brand name- Kratos to their power cruiser as the name is already being used by some other Indian company. Hence, now it is likely to be called 'Dominar 400'. Yeah, I know, it sounds like a pizza lol. The reason Bajaj isn't tagging it as another Pulsar or CS is because Bajaj wants the bike to have its own identity and depending upon how Dominos, err Dominar performs in the market, Bajaj will launch more bikes. Only premium bikes will be launched under the Dominar moniker. The Dominar 400 is likely to be launched mid-December.
Source: NDTV Auto

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 21 Nov 2016, 12:12 pm ( 2 Photos )
Production of Dominar 400/ Kratos 400/ VS 400 Commences:
The first power cruiser has finally rolled out from the stables of Bajaj and it was done by an all-women team! The launch is expected to happen in mid-December and that's when we'll come to know what exactly the name is. The bike will fill the void in the cruiser segment which is performance cruisers. Currently, the segment is ruled by laid-back cruisers from Royal Enfields and Bajaj intends to turn the tides in its favour by the new 375cc Power cruiser. The bike is equipped with LED headlamps, which is a segment first and the Diavel-like design is sure to grab the attention of many potential customers. Other interesting features include a full digital instrument cluster and tank mounted tell-tale lights. The inverted forks as seen in the concept has been given a miss to keep the costs down and on the hindsight, I feel it is a good idea because traditional forks are much simpler and are ideal for indian terrain.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_23## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_24## -->

The expected ex-showroom price is around INR 1.7 lakh and if Bajaj prices it competitively, then not only Royal Enfield will have a serious competitior but also other tourers/cruisers like UM Renegade twins, Mahindra Mojo and the likes. What do you guys think?

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 30 Nov 2016, 6:09 pm
Bajaj Dominar 400 to be Launched on December 15:
Bajaj has officially confirmed the launch date of its flagship bike- the Dominar 400. And yes, the name has also been officially confirmed as 'Dominar 400' (English translation- 'To dominate' ). According to a report by Hindu Businessline, the bike will be unveiled on December 15. Commenting on the upcoming unveil, Eric Vas, President (Motorcycle Business), Bajaj Auto said, “We are delighted to announce the name of the most anticipated brand from the Bajaj Auto stable. The Dominar 400 has already created a lot of excitement amongst bikers, which is befitting for what’s going to be one of the most path-breaking products in the history of the Indian motorcycle industry."

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 1 Dec 2016, 6:49 pm
Bajaj's microsite for the Dominar 400 is now online. If one registers online, one will be able to get invites for city launch, limited edition online brochure and access to live webcast of the launch on the launch day and here's the best part- priority test rides! Here's the link to their microsite:
http://www.bajajauto.com/BajajDominar/Dominar400/

Fourth Div