DIY - Headlight Fogging FIX

DIY - Headlight Fogging FIX

DIY - Headlight Fogg..

• 14 Jan 2016, 6446 Views

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 14 Jan 2016, 9:35 pm ( 8 Photos )
This is an economical DIY for the Infamous Headlight Fogging Issue.Now,this will not be effective for headlamps which are broken/have cracks in them.but for those which are absolutely fine but turns foggy with just even a light drizzle.The problem can be traced to improper sealing of the unit from factory.There is a venting system for the hot gas inside the holder to go out but other than that there sometimes is and issue with the point where the lens/glass and the holder join.small gaps in them will let in moisture.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

The problem solution i have come up with is fairly simple,i searched youtube and found many methods.but the most logical one was to cover the ends with a silicone sealant.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

I have used a Rubberized gasket maker which was the only thing available in the spare parts shop.It costed me 140/- and the pics of the item are attached.When you are attempting this,I suggest you get the sealant in Black Color type or CLEAR type.I had only red and grey as option.so i chose grey.The material consistency is not what i expected and is fairly loose.so use proper care not to make a mess of the work area.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

Things you will need are -1) Disassembled headlights 2) Sealant/Gasket maker 3) Syringe 4) Cotton waste 5) News papers 6) Patience(Lots of it)
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

The removal of headlights is better left to a good electrician or mechanic to not have any accidental damage as headlights also have electronic components inbuilt to them.but the sealing is to be done by us as they don't have the patience and interest to do such jobs in general :P .So with the headlamps at your disposal,start by cleaning the edges thoroughly to get rid of any dust,grime on them.Blow dry the insides of the headlights if you see any moisture content inside and get rid of it.
Now,start filling the sealant onto the syringe and keep news papers spread on the area as you WILL SPILL sealant while doing this.then carefully inject the sealant onto the edges of the headlights and keep the line as tidy as possible.Improvise as necessary.if sealant runs down,don't try to wipe it off as it will get messy.instead leave it to dry as we can cut it out later on.apply a firm coat as seen in the attached pics and leave it to cure for 2-3 hours.after you feel it is dry to the touch,start cutting out the excess portion with a blade(just cut a line and scrape with something blunt only) the rubber will come off.you will notice at some points the sealant goes a bit into the glass casing.this is the spot through which the moisture is entering.Now that portion is sealed-off.check all around for imperfections and finish.Now you can give headlamps to refit next day.You're Done.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->

Enjoy your Monsoon ready Fog-Free Headlamps.Cheers !

More Photos

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 27 May 2016, 7:35 pm
Now that the rains are just about two weeks away in Kerala, I'm sure your tips will come in useful for a lot of people. Headlamps fogging up is a pretty common problem with many cars. However, it's not a serious issue, as the fog will dissipate with the heat generated from the bulbs. Of course, it looks bad cosmetically.
Another DIY that you can do, not really for fogging, is to clean up glazed lenses using toothpaste. Colgate Dental Cream, that plain white toothpaste works best for this. It has mild abrasive particles in it, which supposedly whiten your teeth, but it works well for yellowed out plastic lenses of headlights as well.

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 28 May 2016, 12:29 am
"Originally posted by Roshun"
Now that the rains are just about two weeks away in Kerala, I'm sure your tips will come in useful for a lot of people. Headlamps fogging up is a pretty common problem with many cars. However, it's not a serious issue, as the fog will dissipate with the heat generated from the bulbs. Of course, it looks bad cosmetically.
Another DIY that you can do, not really for fogging, is to clean up glazed lenses using toothpaste. Colgate Dental Cream, that plain white toothpaste works best for this. It has mild abrasive particles in it, which supposedly whiten your teeth, but it works well for yellowed out plastic lenses of headlights as well.
The Toothpaste trick works,but with a lot of repeated tries for the claimed magical results.There are also many headlight restoration paste's and kits which also does the same thing.BUT the problem is that none of them tell us 'to apply a protective coating after the cleaning'.It is very important as otherwise the yellowing restarts within a month.Reason is that the cleaned area(using paste/abrasive) is now ROUGH devoid of the coating that was there before.So in order to avoid long term damage,We must immediately apply some wax(have to do once a month) and if dealing with serious hazing restoration, Spray a coat of clear coat on the lights for the results to last.
BTW Rains have come early Roshun.Don't know what's in store if the real monsoons haven't started already

praveensonio

First Gear

Member: 26 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 2

• 29 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

Make your car headlight new again with the help of Wipe New Headlight Restore. This product is manufactured to offer sparkle shine to your fronts light quickly. This innovative formula enables you to restore the headlight without any help from professional. The headlight restoration kit clears car lenses just in few seconds. It will also provide a protection to your lights from UV weather that will stay after many of car washes. It converts foggy lights into clear appearance and improve driving visibility. Just apply the product once to add protection and shine to your lights for many of years.

Fourth Div