Are Diesel Engines Really Necessary in Cars?

Are Diesel Engines Really Necessary in Cars?

Are Diesel Engines R..

• 21 Mar 2017, 1543 Views

Arjun Maruthava..

First Gear

Member: 21 Mar, 2017

Total Posts: 1

• 21 Mar 2017, 3:31 pm
Dear all,
Being a person in the automotive industry and an automobile lover, I am also a big fan of our environment and the mother nature herself. I have always been unable to convince myself about the diesel engine requirement in Cars and other forms of small segment public transport. Although the major reason is fuel economy, I still am not convinced as there are other issues like the ownership cost and the environmental issues and so on. Why is it so difficult to ban diesel vehicles in the majorly populated cities, considering the environmental norms?
Please feel free to contribute your ideas whether for or against. Regards.

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 21 Mar 2017, 4:07 pm

Arjun Maruthavanan
I feel it is difficult to ban diesel vehicles in a populated country like India because many people's lives depend on it. Even if you exclude the well-to-do people, there are millions who earn a livelihood by driving diesel vehicles. So there's the question of a form of amicable compensation. I think a slow increase in diesel prices will bring down the number of cars but then again, it will affect the business of truck drivers.
Let's face it, unless there's a clean, reliable, cost-efficient alternative power source, petrol and diesel will always remain. Electric propulsion seems to be the way to go, for now. But even that is marred with issues, which can be read here:
https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...e-off-in-india

Ramdas Tilak

First Gear

Member: 24 Mar, 2016

Total Posts: 9

• 2 Jun 2017, 7:33 pm

Arjun Maruthavanan
Private cars consume around 13 % of total diesel fuel retail, this year it could be even lesser due to increased sales of petrol private cars. It would be beneficial to convert the segment that uses the most diesel if you want to really make an impact. private Car owners are a small percent in the country and its easier to attack car owners with taxes and regulations and the sort, than to transform the commercial transportation sector and other high consumption sectors - they will put up a fight, but thats where it should be done instead.
Forgot to mention about the sub-4 metre situation, the 1.2 litre capacity constraint means that slightly heavier cars cannot function efficiently with such small engines no matter what turbo-super-magic charging they do - you`ll end up with single digit fuel economy, the Diesels even if it is only 1.2 (they allow upto 1.5) however produces more power in traffic speeds or low engine speeds and work better, consumes less fuel in the process as well.

Eshwar Prasad

First Gear

Member: 02 Jun, 2017

Total Posts: 2

• 4 Jun 2017, 5:57 pm
Praveen
Arjun Maruthavanan
Hi All,
Diesel is a widely used fuel in the commercial vehicle segment in India and the livelihood of a lot of people depends on it. Trucks, taxis, trains, tractors and a lot of other things run on diesel.
The environment that we live in today needs to be protected but there are many other factors which are effecting it. Its not only the diesel vehicles that are having an impact on it.
Moving to BS VI will definitely reduce the vehicular pollution by upto 75% as per a recent study. Electric vehicles will be the way forward, but we would need more electricity to run them. Electricity doesn't create pollution. It's they way we create electricity that creates pollution. Most of the worlds electricity is made through coal or oil, which create harmful carbon dioxide for our ozone layer. Electricity itself does not create pollution.
Unless we come up with ways to create zero emissions energy the problem will not be fully solved even if we introduce electric vehicles.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 6 Jun 2017, 4:36 pm
Arjun Maruthavanan
Welcome to the forum. Its nice to see someone from the industry trying to get inputs and understand the perspective of commoners.
I agree with you that the Diesel engines are polluting and to protect the environment and to make a better future, we need to to reduce the pollution from these.
However, how much is this going to help. I completely agree, that diesels are bad, but are petrols much better? By banning diesels are we not just trying to stop any kinds of improvement in the technology?
Instead of putting a blanket ban, we must add more strict pollution norms. This would push industry to make things more efficient and in case they fail, then that would indrectly ban the diesel engines which cannot attain the norms.
These norms should be implemented for all vehicles irrespective of the fuel type. This way we can ensure that the pollution levels are reduced and technology advances.

Fourth Div