Ford EcoSport (Petrol) - very. very poor mileage

Ford EcoSport (Petro..

• 18 Mar 2017, 37564 Views

mario

First Gear

Member: 18 Mar, 2017

Total Posts: 10

• 18 Mar 2017, 12:26 am
Yes, it's true. This car gives hardly 8 kmpl without A/C in the city. It gives up to 8.5 if you drive it really carefully. Whatever Ford claims about mileage may be under some unreal driving conditions that nobody ever encounters in real life. And they are totally evasive about it. They will do their best to cover this up in various ways.

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 18 Mar 2017, 12:50 pm
Mario I believe you have the 1.5-litre petrol variant. Is it an automatic one? Even so, it is quite a low efficiency figure. Have you raised this issue with Ford service guys?

mario

First Gear

• 20 Mar 2017, 9:21 am

JijoMalayil
Yes Jijo, it's a manual transmission. I did raise it with both, Ford and the dealer. Their response was that their standard protocol is that they would need to test and verify the mileage themselves in my presence by emptying out the fuel tank completely, filling it full with a measured quantity of fresh petrol, then driving it for 100-150 km with me as a passenger, then calculating the mileage. My tests are done in exactly the same manner but they won't accept that. The bigger joke is that they won't accept even the reading from the dashboard cluster. That reading also coincides with what I got by manual testing. The least they could have done was to verify that the cluster reading indicator works properly. Later on, a service manager admitted to me that the actual mileage is just 8-9 kmpl. With that they closed the matter (as an early first service visit rather than as a problem report), saying that nothing can be done unless I take a day off work and submit to their test protocol at my own expense. The car is a complete disappointment, and so is Ford as a company.

JijoMalayil

• 20 Mar 2017, 11:09 am
Mario I understand how these service centres can be a pain in the ***. Since they are not accepting the same, I suggest you do the test prescribed by the company just to disprove their claim. Later you can escalate it to higher levels of Ford India with those test results.

mario

First Gear

• 21 Mar 2017, 9:47 am
JijoMalayil
I offered the dealer the option of taking the car and doing whatever tests they wanted at my expense, but without my presence. In other words, I was willing to offer them a level of trust that they are unwilling to offer their customers. They declined, so the matter rests there until someday I am willing and able to take a whole day off to meet this manufacturer's demand.
Before that, I also plan to take the car for a long drive outside of the city myself some time soon to see if the efficiency significantly improves under more steady driving conditions. My observation within the city is that the only way this car will give an acceptable mileage is if you manage to drive it in a sustained 5th gear at a steady 40-45 kmph, which is an impossibility in any Indian city.
I repeat, though, this car has the current fuel efficiency in kmpl available in plain eyesight on the dashboard cluster. Either Ford should say that it's just a meaningless decoration or they should ask whether that readout should be questioned. All they do is stonewall. The dealer says that they cannot escalate to Ford unless the prescribed test has been done, and Ford merely goes on bombarding me with questionnaires about how good the dealer experience is/was, as though Ford and their products are flawless.
This car has other issues as well, but I'm not going to go into them here because that's not the point of this thread. I've realized too late that t's not a great car, and I wish I had never bought it.

JijoMalayil

• 21 Mar 2017, 2:11 pm
Mario Have you ever measured efficiency by the tank full to tank full method? What was the best figure that you have received till now (not what's shown in the cluster)? You should also talk about the other issues that concern you. We have many Ecosport owners on the forum.

mario

First Gear

• 22 Mar 2017, 2:28 pm

JijoMalayil
Yes, as I've already said earlier, I've measured the efficiency using the full tank to full tank method. But one doesn't need to do that. To know whether your efficiency is only 8 kmpl when it should be 13 kmpl, ie, the discrepancy is too huge, even a half tank is enough. Trip meters, fuel guages, ..... whatever..... it is understood that all of them provide just approximate readings, not precise ones. The key word is "approximate". They are not off by huge margins, so even approximations are enough for this purpose. Full tank to full tank is recommendable if you want to measure even small variations in efficiency very accurately. And besides, when an authorized service manager has already told me that all Ecosports give only 8-9 in city traffic, I don't think I should be the one trying to prove him wrong. That's Ford's job. I also invite other manual transmission Ecosport petrol version owners to kindly share their fuel efficiency experience here.
Again, as I said earlier, my plan is to take the car out for a long, steady drive at moderate speeds in conditions that require relatively less clutching and braking. If it gives something at least close to their claimed mileage of 12-13 kmpl then I will know where the problem lies.
Regarding the other issues, they are mostly conceptual design and reliability flaws that could be attributable to designing for some other country's conditions and and then selling the car in India, which has totally different driving conditions. Maybe some day I'll write about my observations, but for the time being my main gripe is the mileage. I can't change the design and reliability issues, but I'm hoping the mileage is a problem that can be fixed.
I had never owned a Ford before. I thought that a manufacturer that has at least 100 years of experience behind it would have produced a very acceptable car by now, so I didn't do enough research before buying. That was my mistake and I have learned a lesson the hard way.

mario

First Gear

• 22 Mar 2017, 2:31 pm
JijoMalayil
In reply to your other question: the best figure I got till now is 8.6 kmpl. I have never seen a higher number than that in the dashboard readout.

gautam _67

First Gear

Member: 27 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 31

• 22 Mar 2017, 6:32 pm
mario My friend has the 1l ecoboost engine. He gets 12kmpl on the highway. In city conditions, it is lower.

mario

First Gear

• 23 Mar 2017, 9:23 am
Gautam _67, thanks for your input! Ford claims on it's India website that the Ecoboost (which was specially designed to give greater fuel efficiency) gives 18.88 kmpl. And besides, if the 1.0 Ecoboost gives 12, that too on a highway, I guess we should be expecting the Ecosport to give significantly less.

Tanujeet Singh

First Gear

Member: 03 May, 2016

Total Posts: 3

• 23 Mar 2017, 11:45 pm
Mario Hi friend, I can understand the difficulty u are facing. My cousin also has the Ecosport 1.5l trend model and that too the one that got manufactured during the time when Ecosport was launched in India. He's been getting a constant mileage of 15 in the city with the ac working most of the time. He changes the gears at the recommended speed as per what is mentioned in the owners manual. He is not an enthusiast so in the city he drives at the speed between 50 to 70 km/hr and at highways he drives between 85 to 90km/hr. He hasn't encountered any problem with the car yet as he has driven it 15000km. One thing is that make sure that u build a rapport with a Ford service station technician by simply giving some money due to which he will help u a lot by simply servicing ur car with the needed parts and not adding any useless spare part ur car. Also, they have the power to replace any damaged part with a good working used part or even with a new part at cheap prices. Also, the petrol pumps in India put a dent in the customers pocket by filling less fuel by setting their meters. Simply never tell the petrol pump guy to fill the petrol for 1000,500 IE in whole figures. Always use odd figures like 430, 460, 860, 890 anything like that because the pump owners get their machines altered by setting the meters at whole figures like 500, 1000. When u tell them to fill the fuel for that whole figure u get 15 to 20% less fuel than what u have paid for as I got to know this information by reading several articles on the internet about this fuel fraud. Also, maintain the tyre pressure at recommended air pressure as suggested by the manual.

Tanujeet Singh

First Gear

• 23 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm
Mario Also offload the car with any unnecessary luggage or things that u don't require as that also increases the running weight of the car. If these things by chance don't work, then there's definitely a manufacturing defect in the car for which you can complain to the higher authorities and demand the necessary compensation.

Tanujeet Singh

First Gear

• 23 Mar 2017, 11:58 pm
Forgot to mention one the last thing that when he drives on the highway at 80 to 90km/hr, then it delivers a mileage of 17 to 20 km/l.

gautam _67

First Gear

Member: 27 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 31

• 24 Mar 2017, 11:29 am
mario I agree. He is also upset. The service station guy asked him to drive at the ford recommended speed. That's very difficult on the highway.

Other vehicles will give a figure closer to the ARAI figures on the highway.

mario

First Gear

• 26 Mar 2017, 10:19 am
Tanujeet Singh
Thanks Tanujeet.

mario

First Gear

• 26 Mar 2017, 10:31 am
Gautam _67
ARAI measurements are taken under very stable, controlled conditions that are not really reflective of real world driving conditions in most places in India.

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 27 Mar 2017, 12:19 am
mario Hi poor fuel economy and petrol prices are a bad combination for the wallet indeed. since the entire service center attitude is listed by you and many have commented on same, I am not going to. but just try these small things to see if your mileage improves.
1)Source a can of Iftex System-'G'(system-D is for diesel so be careful) and pour along with petrol @1ml per liter of petrol, since you are trying it for the first time you can be liberal with the dosage(pour it before filling up so that it mixes well with fuel). It works. I used to purchase it from rogermotors.com but now they have stopped selling in single packs and only give in bulk(10nos). so have to source one locally(available in some pumps).
2)Replace the Airfilter(you can do this yourself after buying the spare or any mechanic can do it in minutes)
3)check the tyre pressure and keep it in recommended levels
4)fill petrol from a reputed pump(govt monitored like supplyco if possible)
Try these tips and Im sure you can get a small bump in FE as much as 2-3kpl. if it is working, keep using system g till you finish 2 bottles and then stop for a while. Keep us posted. Regards...

mario

First Gear

• 27 Mar 2017, 9:33 am
JOY MRC
Many thanks for your suggestions.
1. I should try Iftex System G, even though it is something more meant for ageing cars that would have built up deposits in its engine system. My car is not even 1000 km old, so its fuel system and engine would be pretty clean.
2. Same with the air filter. It was last cleaned at that problem visit which the dealer converted into a first service.
4. Tyre pressure - I check and maintain it every week.
5. Petrol - yes, I fill from a reputed pump, and I go to the same one every time so that the mileage measurement efforts are controlled.
All these points are good ones, but they are more like little measures I as a customer must put cost, attention and effort into to increase the mileage a tiny bit when the car itself has a significant issue that Ford is not willing to own up to. Unless there are more people with better experiences I would say that the Ford Ecosport petrol version is not suited to mileage-conscious buyers like myself.

PriYankush_Dutt..

First Gear

Member: 01 Jun, 2017

Total Posts: 1

• 1 Jun 2017, 10:56 pm
Mario
It might be because of small nd heavier steel tire, i have a 1.5 p titanium trim, it happily delivers me around 14kmpl, i have achieved a highest mileage of 15.5, according to the trip computer, i think lighter alloys paired with nitrogen can really bost the mileage

Ramdas Tilak

First Gear

Member: 24 Mar, 2016

Total Posts: 9

• 2 Jun 2017, 7:24 pm
Mario
Mario
The mileage figure you have quoted is not unusual and not bad either , I am familiar with a similar capacity 1.6 petrol engine in a verna and the figures werent that very different, a 1.5 petrol engine in a relatively heavy car will lead to such fuel consumption figures in heavy city traffic. If the car is in top shape by all means, you maybe able to stretch it by another KM or two in the city traffic with AC, not by a lot.

Alok_Kumar

First Gear

Member: 05 Jun, 2017

• 5 Jun 2017, 11:04 pm

Dear, you did a wrong thing. As per the protocol,the testing costs are beared by the company.Its company's responsibility. My cousin also did it with ford and they found themselves guilty that car have some problem. The informed us that they will soon rectify it and resolve it they also 1200 per can charges for offices we feel shy to speak until unless we don't raise nothing will be change

Azim_Baldiwala

First Gear

Member: 18 Oct, 2017

• 18 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm
Mario
now what milage is u r car giving

Jp_Murty

First Gear

Member: 25 Oct, 2017

• 25 Oct 2017, 8:46 am
Mario
This is pretty much the standard mileage in city conditions. I own the petrol version and I have done the full tank to full tank test. Driving in Delhi the best mileage I got was 9 km/lt.
I spoke to the engineer at the service station. He was categorical. The Ecosport petrol version, would not give a better mileage than this in city conditions.
We are retired civil servants and our usage is around 300 kms a month. So I did not pursue the matter further. If you have been more successful than me, can you please let me know? My mail id is jpmurty@yahoo.com.
Best. JP Murty

dipin_sambhyal

First Gear

Member: 21 Nov, 2017

• 21 Nov 2017, 12:28 am
Jp_Murty
Hi Murty,
I recently purchased the 1.5 L petrol Manual one, and I'm too encountering the same problem of mileage which u guys are facing
the Mileage is not above 8.5 KM
I have tested the above twice & got the same result !

Ajit_Dharap

First Gear

Member: 27 Nov, 2017

• 27 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm
Dipin_sambhyal
in 2 months 1000kms and avg is 9kmpl, 1.5 petrol Titanium EcoSport

vikrant_badguja..

First Gear

Member: 28 Nov, 2017

• 28 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm
I owns a Ecosport Ecoboost which is around 1.2 years old now. I gets mileage of around 14kmpl in city & I have clocked 17kmpl on highway. I takes care of pedal I am pressing to achieve good FE

Fourth Div