Is 100kg in a car ne..

• 30 Jan 2017, 4901 Views

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 30 Jan 2017, 7:34 pm

Santhosh Raj
Technically, it does make a difference as the lighter car will be more fuel-efficient and will have better acceleration when compared with the same, but a heavier car. However, in real-time, there won't be much of a difference as it is just akin to a large person sitting inside the car. But when it comes to safety, the Baleno is a superior car compared to the Swift as it gets a four-star NCAP rating. But the thing is, the Baleno crumples, absorbing the impact energy, thereby saving the passengers. So, it will be difficult to repair after an accident. The Swift, on the other hand, has scored zero stars for adult protection and only one star for child protection. So, overall, the Baleno will be a better buy, I feel.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 30 Jan 2017, 8:44 pm

Santhosh Raj
Till a few years back, a car was considered safe only if the doors close with a thud, if its heavy and if it's having metal all over.
This maybe true when it comes to small accidents, but in high speed impact, sometimes these cars were more harmful. Now days, the focus in on lighter and stronger material.
Like most technology in automotive field, even this ideology of lighter and stronger comes from the aviation industry. The lighter the car, the more efficient it is, thanks to lesser weight to carry. Similarly it gives better power to weight ratio which gives better pick up.
Fortunately, times have changed and now we have NCAP(new car assessment programmes) in the world. Unfortunately we don't have the programmed for all new Indian cars, but the NCAP programme has to a large extent proven that weight isn't everything. The crumple zones and design play a major role during high speed impacts. It was seen that the Mahindra Scorpio which is heavy and macho scored lower than the Baleno which was considerable to be unsafe as its too light.
Also, in the initial days, an accident with a Baleno was showcased where the vehicle had crumpled badly. It has to be noted that the accident was with two trucks coming from the opposite side ,and any other vehicle would be in a similar state after that. There is only so much car's safety features can do. Its first the driver's responsibility to drive safe.
I would recommend the Baleno taking into consideration its NCAP ratings, and you are gaining with more fuel efficiency and space over the swift.

manish_bagade

First Gear

Member: 10 Mar, 2017

Total Posts: 2

• 10 Mar 2017, 4:23 pm
Swift is 1000 KGS in India and in foreign its 1900kgs
Ratings as on safety India swift gets 0 and foreign gets 3
Fools buy lightweight cars to get average

manish_bagade

First Gear

Member: 10 Mar, 2017

Total Posts: 2

• 10 Mar 2017, 4:24 pm
Santhosh Raj you are thinking of 100 KGS I am thinking of remaining 900 kgs

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 11 Mar 2017, 10:42 pm
I am not sure where you get your information from, but even the Euro spec Swift weighs (kerb weight)1020kgs for the 5 door version and 1005kgs for the 3 door one. This is the spec for the Swift in UK.
Also, please look into a subject named strength of material. The strength is not proportional to weight. Also, to design a good car, crumple zones with lower strengths need to be made and the passenger cabin needs to be strengthened.
If adding weight is all it takes to make a car safer plenty of manufacturers would easily do it. Please talk to anyone who has worked in designing crash test cases (in India, you can find people working for Mercedes R&D, Ford R&D and couple of others) who would explain you how cars are made safer.
A heavier car does improve safety taking into consideration the transfer of momentum, however that is limited.

Shreyans

Member: 27 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 60

• 12 Mar 2017, 1:21 am
"Originally posted by Santhosh Raj"
I want to buy Maruthi Suzuki Baleno Automatic. When I was checking the reviews, I discovered that Baleno is 100 kgs lighter than Maruthi Suzuki Swift?One of my friends told me 100 kgs is negligible. Is 100kgs really negligible in a car? Can someone explain me this technically?

Fact is that from a safety point of view, we can only speculate. The "made in India sold in India" Baleno has not been subjected to crash tests by any independent authority.
As for better/stronger materials leading to weight reduction, Maruti has a black record. They may have the know-how at their disposal but have been found to deliberately underspec the cars they sell here. Case to point - the chassis of the Euro spec Swift stays stable and intact during crash tests but that of the Indian Swift fails. Hence, I will take their tall safety related claims with a pinch of salt until they are properly verified.
If you are rejecting the Baleno and opting for the Swift for safety related concerns based on the fact that it is 100kg lighter, don't. Because the Indian Swift is proven unsafe. Chassis fails upon impact.

Fourth Div