• 16 Jan 2017, 2115 Views

Aldrin Alwyn

First Gear

Member: 16 Jan, 2017

Total Posts: 2

• 16 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm
Hi Everyone,
Warm Greeting from Thailand
I am an Indian working in Thailand and I belong to group of Thai biking enthusiasts who are excited in making a Leh Ladakh trip this year. We would like to use our own Thai bikes for making this happen.
I would like to know the rules and regulations with regard to bringing these "Thai registered" bikes to our country.
I was reading another blog which suggested that we would need to pay around 200% of the bikes cost as a refundable deposit (which is very hefty).
Can anybody explain the procedures for this? and how much we will need to pay?

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 16 Jan 2017, 5:55 pm
Aldrin Alwyn
That's one hell of an adventurous plan you have there Aldrin. And I'm sure it will be a fun ride. Now, as far as I know, the "Carnet" fees have been revised - it is now Rs. 50,000 or so for a bike (according to a person who just rode to 5 countries) (See this link: https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...anmar-thailand). It is a refundable deposit, and you will have to contact an automobile association in Thailand for this. This CarNet will allow you to ride your bike into India for a period of six months, and once you take it back again, you can claim your refund. Now, the only grey area is Myanmar - you will need to check the rules for crossing through Myanmar to India.

Aldrin Alwyn

First Gear

Member: 16 Jan, 2017

Total Posts: 2

• 17 Jan 2017, 4:21 pm
Roshun
Hey Roshun, thanks for the info.
However we are not planning to drive all the way from thailand because of this Mynmar issue. We plan to bring them to india by some other modes than driving them. Maybe by air or something like that.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 17 Jan 2017, 7:06 pm
Aldrin Alwyn
In that case, I think it is fairly straightforward. Contact one of the Automobile Associations (AA Western Region is pretty active) and get the Carnet formalities sorted out. Then it's only a matter of shipping it via air or sea to either Kolkata or Chennai and starting out on your ride.

manojkeshwar

First Gear

Member: 31 Jan, 2017

Total Posts: 3

• 31 Jan 2017, 11:34 am ( 2 Photos )

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->
You can check more about Leh Ladakh motorcycle trip here : http://www.viktorianz.com/bike-tour-leh-ladakh

Fourth Div