Car Colour Fading Concern - Hyundai Elite i20

Car Colour Fading Co..

• 13 Jan 2017, 3362 Views

intrepidneo

First Gear

Member: 13 Jan, 2017

Total Posts: 1

• 13 Jan 2017, 3:13 pm
Hi. I recently bought (Jan 2017) a Hyundai Elite i20 (Passion Red). I park the car in front of my house, with the car cover (Silver) provided by the dealer. The car would experience sun's rays from 9am - 2pm. I would like to know if there is a chance that over a period of time, the color of the car would fade? Has anybody had any similar experience? The salesman is mentioning that since its Metallic paint, the issue of fading wont be seen with the car.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 16 Jan 2017, 2:58 pm
Intrepidneo
Cars do experience some level of paint fading due to UV rays over a period of time. But since you keep the car covered most of the time, this would be quite minimal. However, to prevent paint fading, it is best to get your car wax coated with a UV wax-polish once a month or so. This is best for dark colours, where some amount of fading happens. Get a 3M paint protection job done and then follow it up with a monthly UV wax job, and your car will stay shiny with minimal fading for many years.

monk4rdist

First Gear

Member: 29 Dec, 2016

Total Posts: 14

• 16 Jan 2017, 3:17 pm
"Originally posted by Roshun"
IntrepidneoCars do experience some level of paint fading due to UV rays over a period of time. But since you keep the car covered most of the time, this would be quite minimal. However, to prevent paint fading, it is best to get your car wax coated with a UV wax-polish once a month or so. This is best for dark colours, where some amount of fading happens. Get a 3M paint protection job done and then follow it up with a monthly UV wax job, and your car will stay shiny with minimal fading for many years.

Intrepidneo
I agree with Roshun, keeping the car under wraps with a good, matte finish cover always help. I got a teflon coating from 3M when I bought my Golden Bronze Ecosport and that has been helpful. Added advice - whenever there is water or dew on the paint, try not to expose it under severe sunlight, the droplets work as lense (or prism) for sunlight and lead to patches. Spending 10 mins with a clean cotton cloth in the morning and then putting on cover will help you preserve that metallic red finish for a long time.

Fourth Div