Hyundai Tucson vs Toyota Fortuner: Which SUV To Buy?

Hyundai Tucson vs Toyota Fortuner: Which SUV To Buy?

Hyundai Tucson vs To..

• 11 Jan 2017, 3003 Views

nikki94

First Gear

Member: 11 Jan, 2017

Total Posts: 1

• 11 Jan 2017, 6:26 am
Hi
I am interested in buying a new SUV. I have been doing some research and I have come down to the 5-seater Hyundai Tucson and the 7-seater Toyota Fortuner. I live in a town in Kerala with frequent trips to Trivandrum. My drive will mainly include both city and highway trips of around 1200kms a month. I am an enthusiastic driver but will often be driving with my parents. So I prefer a good mix of performance and good seat comfort with cushioning. Tucson is more feature packed than the Fortuner but I am interested in putting an electronic sunroof for my car. Both these cars don't have one. My question for you is.
1) Which car would suit my needs better? For ride and comfort without negating the performance.
2) The Fortuner automatic gearshifts seems a bit sluggish to respond.So between the Tucson and Fortuner which would be the better bet for an enthusiast?
3) I have asked the respective dealers for sunroofs and they have told me that they can put it for me at an additional cost of Rs1lakh. That's when I heard that the 4WD of Tucson will be coming this year. Is there any chance of knowing when it would come and whether it would have a factory fit sunroof and ventilated seats?

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 11 Jan 2017, 10:46 am
Nikki94 In my opinion, considering your requirements, Tucson makes more sense. Being a monocoque SUV, it has better driving dynamics and lesser body roll. Plus the interiors of the Tucson feels plush and up-market and the balanced suspension setup will ensure good ride quality, without compromising on vehicle dynamics. Considering your mileage, I hope you are going for the petrol variant? Though the new 2.0-litre, 185 PS & 400 Nm diesel motor is the one to opt for spirited driving, it has enough punch for an enthusiast like you, and it returns very good fuel economy figures when compared to the Fortuner. And yeah, Hyundai has promised to bring in the AWD variant in April, and we expect it to have more features. It is highly probable that it comes with a Sunroof and ventilated seats. We will try to contact Hyundai officials to get more information on the same.

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2343

• 11 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm
"Originally posted by JijoMalayil"
Nikki94 In my opinion, considering your requirements, Tucson makes more sense. Being a monocoque SUV, it has better driving dynamics and lesser body roll. Plus the interiors of the Tucson feels plush and up-market and the balanced suspension setup will ensure good ride quality, without compromising on vehicle dynamics. Considering your mileage, I hope you are going for the petrol variant? Though the new 2.0-litre, 185 PS & 400 Nm diesel motor is the one to opt for spirited driving, it has enough punch for an enthusiast like you, and it returns very good fuel economy figures when compared to the Fortuner. And yeah, Hyundai has promised to bring in the AWD variant in April, and we expect it to have more features. It is highly probable that it comes with a Sunroof and ventilated seats. We will try to contact Hyundai officials to get more information on the same.
I agree with Jijo, the Tucson diesel should be a better SUV than the Fortuner for your requirements. Yes, it is true that Hyundai is considering launching an AWD version of the Tucson in the near future. But expect it to cost upwards of Rs 22 lakh. This variant should be fully loaded with a panoramic sunroof and ventilated seats. However, my question is do you really need a sunroof in Kerala? I am from Trivandrum myself but based in New Delhi for the last one year. From my experience, I'd say sunroofs are not the most practical feature for Indian cars - especially in the summer months. So if the sunroof isn't the top priority here, you could go for the Tucson immediately or else wait till the AWD version arrives. The good news is we are getting our hand on the Tucson 2.0 diesel day after and might go on a road trip to Amritsar in it this weekend. So stay tuned for our review and experience with the Tucson here on the forum. While we go to pick up the car, we can get some info from the Hyundai officials on when the AWD version will arrive too.

Fourth Div