DIY - Scratch Removal

DIY - Scratch Removal

DIY - Scratch Remova..

• 05 Jan 2016, 69847 Views

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 587

• 5 Jan 2016, 7:53 pm ( 2 Photos )
Bruises and scuffs happen to our cars all the time be it in parking or anywhere else. Sometimes we find our cars having different colored scratches on the painted part generously given by a partner in crime. Like we find a red long scratch on a pure white car, and so on. While deep scratches, which dug in and took out the paint and surface can only be cured by professional help, small dings can be fixed by the process I am about to explain. The following 2 items are needed for doing the procedure. No, it is not going to cost you a bomb and will last for many more applications.
1. 3M Finesse It Rubbing Compound small pack - Rs.84/-
2. 3M Liquid Wax bottle - Rs.125/-
The rubbing compound has minute abrasive/scrubbing agents which will remove the scratch/residue which is on the clear coat(top) layer. There are no step by step procedures as such just use cotton waste or a microfiber cloth to rub over the scratch with the generous amount of rubbing cream applied. Use only light pressure. Repeat steps until the area is clear or at least better than what it was. Next apply the liquid wax to give a protective coating and buff the area again with a microfiber cloth until you get a nice shiny surface.
Congratulations you have removed scratches yourself. Now, drink a glass of cold beverage and enjoy your day. Cheers.

More Photos

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2034

• 21 Mar 2016, 3:28 pm ( 3 Photos )
While rubbing compound and wax polish can deal with minor scratches on your car, not all scratches can be removed very easily. One of the biggest bug bears for anyone who loves to maintain a shiny car is swirl marks! Swirl marks especially show up in a dark coloured car. How do you deal with swirl marks? Well, here are some pointers. Feel free to suggest more, as it's quite a task really.
Bumper scratches:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

Swirl marks:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

First, let's look at the types of scratches you can get:
1. Swirl marks - this affects only the top-coat, the clear coat of the paint, as just a fine layer of scratches.
2. Deep scratch - this goes into the clear coat, and will usually show as a deep white line.
3. Very deep scratch - this goes beyond the clear coat and into the base colour of the car. It could be accompanied by a dent too. You can feel this with your finger nail.
4. Bare metal scratch - this has gone beyond the car paint colour down to the bare metal. The only way to fix this is to repaint the car.
Here's what the layers of the car's paint looks like:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

A scratch that affects only the clear coat, such as swirl marks and minor scuffing can be easily taken care of with a good wax polish.
A scratch that goes into the clear coat, but hasn't gone through the base colour can be repaired using a paint sealant pen or scratch removing pen, along with a good wax coating and/or paint sealant
A scratch that has gone beyond the base colour into the primer or metal, will require a touch up paint application. This is tricky. Depending on the extent of the scratch it may or may not require sanding.
Details on how to deal with the various scratches in next post.

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 22 Mar 2016, 2:53 pm ( 1 Photo )
Here's how you deal with the most common type of scratch on your car - Swirl Marks!
Almost every single car out there is a victim of swirl marks. Swirl marks are micro-fine scratches usually in a circular pattern.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

Here's what causes swirl marks in the first place:
1. Wiping your car with a dry cloth - the fine dust particles and grit on the surface of the car act like sand paper and cause these scratches. Never, ever, ever dry wipe the car!
2. Using dirty water to wash the car - rinsing the cloth in the same bucket which has grit in it.
3. Incorrect use of a polishing machine on the car's painted surface
4. Using a car cover on a dusty car - pulling the cover over the car causes scratches on the paint surface.
5. Not rinsing the car with enough water while washing it.
How do you get rid of swirl marks? One way is to go to a professional detailer and get the car polished using a buffing machine, glaze and wax polish. Or you could do it at home just as easily.
What you will need:
1. A clean car - washed with plenty of water and dried with a microfibre towel
2. A car polish that has No.7 cleaner - only for stubborn scratches or deep swirl marks (don't use this on the whole car as it actually removes a fine layer of the clear coat).
3. A good carnuba or paste wax polish
4. A sponge applicator
5. Microfibre towels (two of them).
What to do:
After cleaning and drying the car thoroughly (more on that in a separate post), work in a dust-free environment. First take the glaze polish or scratch remover and apply it using the a sponge to areas that are badly scratched. Wait for it to dry to a haze and then using a microfibre towel and a gentle back and forth motion, buff the area. Then using a clean sponge applicator, apply wax polish all over the car's painted surfaces - working one panel at a time. Let the polish dry to a haze. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes for this, and then start buffing it using a clean, folded micro-fibre towel. Keep turning the towel frequently and buff the entire car. Do one more pass using another clean micro-fibre towel to bring out the gloss in the vehicle.
Swirl marks should be effectively hidden if you use a good quality paste wax from companies such as 3M, Meguiars, Turtle Wax, Eagle One or even Motomax. As far as possible avoid spray-on-liquid polishes, except for quick detailing when needed. A good hard wax or cream wax does a better job of protecting the paint than a liquid.

JOY MRC

• 22 Mar 2016, 3:28 pm
"A scratch that goes into the clear coat, but hasn't gone through the base color can be repaired using a paint sealant pen or scratch removing pen, along with a good wax coating and/or paint sealant."
Regarding the Scratch-Remover Pen,Please DO NOT BUY OR USE THEM.It is just a marker with some clear coat paint.the problem is that it only works(masks) hairline scratches.but when you do use it,it leaves a bigger thicker line of clear coat visible like when you get a drop of superglue dried onto something.It looks odd and does nothing like what it is shown in the Product advertisements.BEWARE

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 22 Mar 2016, 4:07 pm
"Originally posted by JOY MRC"

Regarding the Scratch-Remover Pen,Please DO NOT BUY OR USE THEM.It is just a marker with some clear coat paint.the problem is that it only works(masks) hairline scratches.but when you do use it,it leaves a bigger thicker line of clear coat visible like when you get a drop of superglue dried onto something.It looks odd and does nothing like what it is shown in the Product advertisements.BEWARE
They are not permanent fixes for a scratch. I've tried these scratch removal pens, and they work for like a couple of weeks. Of course, there is a bit of spill over on the neighbouring areas of paint, so you need to apply it very, very gently. I've even tried paint touch-up pens, but they are messier to work with, as the paint is fairly thick and the repair is quite visible on close inspection.
There's no fool-proof method really. Folks, any other pointers on scratch removal? Anyone tried anything else?

themallustig

First Gear

Member: 08 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 57

• 23 Mar 2016, 11:08 am ( 1 Video)
Here is one of our super-mod's earlier videos of "how to remove sticker glue from car paint" ? Take a look.

Video Courtesy: cartoq.com

tush.desai

First Gear

Member: 01 Feb, 2016

Total Posts: 52

• 7 Apr 2016, 4:00 pm
"Originally posted by Roshun"

First, let's look at the types of scratches you can get:
1. Swirl marks - this affects only the top-coat, the clear coat of the paint, as just a fine layer of scratches.
2. Deep scratch - this goes into the clear coat, and will usually show as a deep white line.
3. Very deep scratch - this goes beyond the clear coat and into the base colour of the car. It could be accompanied by a dent too. You can feel this with your finger nail.
4. Bare metal scratch - this has gone beyond the car paint colour down to the bare metal. The only way to fix this is to repaint the car.
I am having Type 4 Scratches on my Car doors.
I want to repaint my car on my own at home. Please suggest me the process to be followed. I am thinking to buy a Spray Gun. Will it be cost effective? Will I be able to get the finishing like professional car painters? Somebody, Please suggest a good spray gun needed for my purpose.

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 7 Apr 2016, 7:57 pm ( 1 Video)
"Originally posted by tush.desai"

I am having Type 4 Scratches on my Car doors.
I want to repaint my car on my own at home. Please suggest me the process to be followed. I am thinking to buy a Spray Gun. Will it be cost effective? Will I be able to get the finishing like professional car painters? Somebody, Please suggest a good spray gun needed for my purpose.
What colour is your car? If it's a popular colour, you will get a touch up paint can from ComPaint or any other brand. Look up Amazon / Snapdeal for these. Once you have the touch-up paint of the colour of your car, you need to go through the following steps. You will need the following items.
1. Masking tape
2. Paint thinner (or nail polish remover - believe me it works better than any thinner known to mankind. It can eat down to bare metal with just a dab).
3. Cotton waste
4. Emery paper (wet type, of very fine grit)
5. Soap water solution
6. Gloves
7. Rubbing compound or scratch removing paste
8. Wax polish
9. Microfibre cloth.
10. Touch up paint spray can (of the colour of your car)
11. Clear coat touch up spray (also called lacquer)
Here are the steps.
1. First wash and clean the area around the scratch thoroughly with soapy water. Park the car in a dust-free area, away from direct sunlight.
2. Take the masking tape and cordon off the area to be painted. Use newspaper in all adjoining areas to prevent any spray from accidentally falling on other parts.
3. Take the emery paper and wrap it around a sponge or cotton waste ball. Gently sand down the area of the scratch, constantly wetting the area so as to cause minimal scratching to adjoining paint areas. You need to work very gently.
4. Wash and clean once you've managed to sand down the scratch a little (you will see a dull hazy effect on the adjoining paint).
5. Shake the touch-up paint can thoroughly. Then try a test spray on some other object to see if the spray is coming out evenly. The spray in light even motions over the area. Don't overlap your spray. Wait for about 15 minutes after the first coat and then spray again.
6. Wipe down the area and then spray one coat of clear coat paint.
7. Once it has dried, using rubbing compound or scratch remover, buff the painted area nicely to blend the edges with the normal paint.
8. Apply a thick coat of wax polish and buff it to a shine.
If you do this right, you will be pleased with the results. DIYs are risky, but totally worth the effort. Do take photos of every stage, so you can share it with us
EDIT: This video may help. But do spray on a clear coat over the base coat if you want good results.

tush.desai

First Gear

• 8 Apr 2016, 10:30 am
Thank you very much Roshun Ji.

What colour is your car? If it's a popular colour, you will get a touch up paint can from ComPaint or any other brand. Look up Amazon / Snapdeal for these.

It is having Silver Colour, Etios Liva Silver.
Yesterday, i saw a few links on amazon and other sites. I am providing a couple of those which i found relevant.
http://www.amazon.in/Com-Paint-Scrat.../dp/B011OBWUFQ
http://www.amazon.in/F1-AEROSOL-SPRA...0030539&sr=1-2
I think the first Product, the Com-Paint Kit is perfectly suitable. But in that kit, they are giving only 120 gm of base colour. I have big scratches on doors, & bumper corners. Is the quantity sufficient?

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 8 Apr 2016, 10:56 am ( 2 Videos )
Thank you very much Roshun Ji.
It is having Silver Colour, Etios Liva Silver.
Yesterday, i saw a few links on amazon and other sites. I am providing a couple of those which i found relevant.
http://www.amazon.in/Com-Paint-Scrat.../dp/B011OBWUFQ
http://www.amazon.in/F1-AEROSOL-SPRA...0030539&sr=1-2
I think the first Product, the Com-Paint Kit is perfectly suitable. But in that kit, they are giving only 120 gm of base colour. I have big scratches on doors, & bumper corners. Is the quantity sufficient?
Yes, I think the first kit from Com Paint is the correct one as it has the Toyota type of silver colour. I would recommend you first buy one kit and try it in a small area. If you are satisfied with the results then only order more. A 120 gm can will cover about the area of one door panel.
Here's Com-Paint's demo of how to use the kit:

(I'm sure you can do a better job than the guy in the demo video )
And for minor scratches, you can actually use a paint pen. See this video:

tush.desai

First Gear

• 8 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm
Thank you Roshun Ji!

(I'm sure you can do a better job than the guy in the demo video )
Yes, I am going to try it myself for sure. Just ordered a kit on industrybuying.com. Amazon & AskMeBazar were not giving CoD for my pincode (STRANGE! ), so tried this new online cart for the first time.
Once i receive the kit, I will give it a try. I will update the forum about how I perform, good or bad.
​Thanks Again!

tush.desai

First Gear

• 10 May 2016, 4:17 pm ( 12 Photos )
I received the kit. I tried it myself.
Let us visualise it step by step.
Stage 1: This is how the area around door panel looked like.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## --><!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->
Stage 2: Once I applied Body Filler, It looked like this:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->
Stage 3: After Applying Paint
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_7## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_8## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_9## -->
I think I did a fair job considering I did it first time in my life!
I have not got 100% finishing, but still, it looks way way better than before. I did a mistake by not applying it on entire door. Had I done that, i could have got 100% finishing.
But, No issues! will keep this thing in mind when I do it again in future (may be next year, considering the driving style of bikers of Surat).
Thanks Everyone for helping me!

JOY MRC

• 10 May 2016, 8:24 pm
Let us visualise it step by step.
Stage 1: This is how the area around door panel looked like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]n9858[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n9859[/ATTACH]
Stage 2: Once I applied Body Filler, It looked like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]n9860[/ATTACH]
Stage 3: After Applying Paint
[ATTACH=CONFIG]n9861[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n9862[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n9863[/ATTACH]
I have not got 100% finishing, but still, it looks way way better than before. I did a mistake by not applying it on entire door. Had I done that, i could have got 100% finishing.
But, No issues! will keep this thing in mind when I do it again in future (may be next year, considering the driving style of bikers of Surat).

Excellent work my man.You'll be a pro soon with this level of skill

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 11 May 2016, 9:02 pm
Wow. That is an awesome job tush.desai . I would think you've done a fabulous job for a first timer and that too on a silver car (matching colours is difficult even for professionals). Now that you have managed to do it, I'm sure many more of us will be encouraged to do it . To even out the paint shade, trying doing a quick buff with rubbing compound and then nicely wax polish it once more and see.

tush.desai

First Gear

• 12 May 2016, 9:41 am
Thanks for encouragement, Experts!
Roshun , I will try it and see what happens.

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2338

• 12 May 2016, 11:46 am
tush.desai that's a job well done I'd say. Covering up a scratch on silver coloured cars is a tough job if you ask me. You could try what Roshun suggested, a quick buff and polish should do the job I think. Up next, fixing the scratches on JijoMalayil's Ritz!

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 674

• 12 May 2016, 12:01 pm
tush.desai , great job. Did you need to use anything outside the kit? Any tools or materials?
I have a few scratches on my Silver Figo, and can attempt this. Thanks for sharing.

Akshat Pokhriya..

First Gear

Member: 02 Apr, 2016

Total Posts: 94

• 12 May 2016, 12:16 pm
tush.desai nice work. This did give me a lot of confidence and motivation as well. I am gonna try this soon. You know bikers and auto drivers of our world yeah.

tush.desai

First Gear

• 12 May 2016, 4:02 pm
Thanks Guys for the compliments.
I did not use any outside material except the Water Papers. I received 2 small pieces of water papers in Kit. After applying it on a small area, I felt that Paper size was not sufficient for my need.
So, I bought 1 Sheet of Water Paper numbered EP400 from a local shop, paid Rs.20/- for that, I got an A4 Size EP400 in Rs.20.
Covered the area with News Paper & regular tape (sello-tape).
I am still left with little Filler, almost 75% of Com-Cut Tube, and almost 75% of Com-Merge Spray.
On the Touch-up Paint Sprayer, the MRP mentioned is Rs.300/-. So, If I can get a Spray individually, I am interested to buy (SYMPHONY SILVER for TOYOTA). In this case, I will get some body filler & Water Paper from a local shop (lets Guess it will cost me 50/- + 20/- = Rs.70/-), & I will be able to spray EITHER an entire door OR both the corners of front bumper in Rs.370/-.

tush.desai

First Gear

• 12 May 2016, 4:29 pm
NikilSJ , JijoMalayil
Just found following Product, which I think should be fine for Maruti Suzuki Ritz:
http://www.amazon.in/Com-Paint-Scrat...s=silver+paint
Arjun , This link is for Figo, as they have mentioned:
http://www.amazon.in/Com-Paint-Grey-...paint+for+figo

JijoMalayil

Total Posts: 2293

• 12 May 2016, 4:36 pm
NikilSJ , JijoMalayil
Just found following Product, which I think should be fine for Maruti Suzuki Ritz:
http://www.amazon.in/Com-Paint-Scrat...s=silver+paint
Arjun , This link is for Figo, as they have mentioned:
http://www.amazon.in/Com-Paint-Grey-...paint+for+figo
Thanks, I have ordered the same one (Dusky Brown). Will try making a video this time! Hopefully it will go just fine

JOY MRC

• 18 Aug 2016, 11:51 pm ( 14 Photos )
DIY - Paint Transfer Removal
When I started this thread back in January, I had done some rubbing on my car bumpers but hadn't clicked any pictures while doing it. I had a clean streak for the last 7 months until yesterday night (17-08-2016), when a moron driving a Honda Unicorn decided it was time to end that streak. My pride and joy, a Premier Rio CRDi4 Lx 2014 had survived all the abuse taken on the paint till date. Thank god for that. My Maruti 800 or Esteem would give away paint fairly easy. This car has been extremely good so far. The panels come pre-painted from Zotye motors in China (Read more HERE ) and the quality shows.
Coming back to the night before, I had painstakingly washed the car taking 3 hours doing full interior and exterior cleaning including the alloys. I don't wash it often and just do a quick dust with a Jopasu Duster or give it to the nearest car wash. Since black is a high maintenance colour, frequent cleaning is required. But when I do clean the car, I make sure its spotless inside out.
So after I did all the hardwork, I had to go out for some shopping and since I gave such a good clean up, the rain gods decided that it need not be that good . So, all of a sudden, a small shower happened but thankfully it was past 8pm, the dust had settled and it didn't get dirt spots as much as it would during the day.The rain only lasted for 5 minutes just so to irritate me.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_10## -->

Adding to this,I found a perfect parking space.Went ahead and started parallel parking in reverse.The biker clearly seeing this tried to quick park at the space and this happened...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_11## -->

You can also see the car covered in raindrops
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_12## -->

The biker started defending himself which later turned into an apology. After some heated exchange of words I left running to the store which was about to close by then. I Knew I could fix it but my concern was if any damage would be left back. So as soon as I reached home (around 10pm) a quick revisit to my room of many great stuff's was in order.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_13## -->

I collected the required stuff - Rubbing Compound(3M), Wax Polish (3M) and a good branded Microfiber Cloth. I've been using ArmorAll brand and It has been doing wonders for me. [Please don't use a waste cloth or t-shirt/rags as these can't hold the dirt and will create new scratches while rubbing] WD-40 shown for reference only. If you don't have a wax polish, WD-40 can be applied as intermediate protection until you polish the rubbed area (rubbing takes away a small surface of clear coat above the paint, so we need to apply a wax coating afterwards for paint protection and lasting shine without the paint fading)
I started by cleaning the area (again) and applying rubbing compound liberally. I tried my best to get it off but it was still visible as it was really hard pressed onto the bumpers. This is how it looked after 2 attempts...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_14## -->
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_15## -->

It was getting really late so I wrapped up for the day and waited anxiously for morning.
Daylight came and the damage looked like this...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_16## -->

Took the TOOLS and got back to work by washing the area and reapplying the compound. Did my best and the results were satisfactory, but the area looked a bit dull than the other side.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_17## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_18## -->

So Next step,Polishing...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_19## -->

Apply the wax compound liberally. Here, I used 3M Liquid Wax but normal hard type of wax can also be used while the latter being a bit harder to apply and buff out due to time constraints I am limiting the area I will be doing to the absolute necessary. You can do the whole area (In this case,full bumper for an even finish)
Pointer : When applying wax or any kind of polish, after application, always remove it if applied over any black(unpainted) plastic trims.The wax will leave a whitish layer if dried and will be hard to remove. So remove before it dries off like what I have done in the following pic.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_20## -->

Give the wax 10 mins to soak in and do its job. Buff it off with a clean microfiber towel afterwards and switch faces of the towel if it gets covered with wax for better shine.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_21## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_22## -->

With my morning exercise completed. Enjoyed the flawless shine. If it happens to you next time, Just fix it yourself.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_23## -->

Cheers !
Coming Soon...
DIY - Dashboard Painted Trim Restoration(re-spray) using Com-Paint
Regards...

NikilSJ

Total Posts: 2338

• 19 Aug 2016, 10:59 am
JOY MRC that looks like a job well done. I have always thought that it would be more difficult to remove a scratch from a black coloured car. But from your work above, it seems like a piece of cake. This whole process must have been a good work out session for you no? Anyway, I'm glad your pride and joy Rio is spotless again. After all it is a rare car on our roads By the way, how much does the 3M scratch removal kit cost?

JOY MRC

• 19 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm ( 3 Photos )
NikilSJ
It's been 1 year and 11 months of ownership and still the New car on the road feeling is pretty much there. I still get followed and asked around about the car every other day. So it is important to upkeep the car in spotless condition for ma peeps
You are right about the work out part.especially rubbing and taking pics with the dirty hands was something i hated. but didnt want to let this writeup go a miss for the benefit for others. But after seeing the results, The feeling was like Salman after the workout in Sulthan Movie(BGM Playing in my head) and for us motorheads DIY moments are priceless. In my mind be like -
"Acheivement Unlocked - Detailing Expert"
You will be shocked by hearing the investment for the 3M wax and Rubbing compound.
1. 3M Finesse It Rubbing Compound small pack - Rs.84/-
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_24## -->

2. 3M Liquid Wax bottle - Rs.125/-
That is less than half of what we pay for a car wash.The Armorall Microfiber cloth set is a bit more but its a 3 pack and if used properly the pack will last the lifetime of the car.quality is exceptional.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_25## -->

3.ArmourAll(3 piece) Microfiber cloth set - 500/- I use one for washing and one for detailing and one as spare for future.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_26## -->

I have spent a bucket load of money(over the years) for the things in my "Room Of Many Great Stuff's and then I read about this Endy owner who spent 1.6 Lakhs on 3M center for PPF(Paint Protection Film) coating(all panels except roof and lights) accounting to ~1.25 lakhs and others things for the rest.What do you do when you're in Love.eh?
But on another note;I may be a bit too late in writing this piece.He could have saved some serious dough.No?

tush.desai

First Gear

• 30 Aug 2016, 3:31 pm
JOY MRC , great result achieved. It will be useful for me the next time I go for DiY stuff.

Fourth Div