Hero Launches Lectro- Bicycles with Electrical Pedal Assist

Hero Launches Lectro..

• 25 Nov 2016, 9332 Views

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 25 Nov 2016, 12:00 pm ( 7 Photos )
One of India's top bicycle manufacturer, Hero Cycles has launched a new brand- Lectro. The brand offers three Electric Pedal Assisted Cycles (EPAC)- 'Renew', 'Ozone' and 'Spark'. These bikes come with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery which powers the rear hub motor. The batteries are rechargeable and can be charged at normal home sockets using a power cable. The company claims a range of 30-50 km per charge, depending on the usage; two- five hour battery recharge time and a battery life of five years.
Renew:
The biggest USP of this bike, umm, bicycle is the fat tyres. This makes it ideal for traversing through mud, snow and sand because the contact patch is much more than other ordinary bicycles. It comes with a high-torque (80 Nm), 250 W hub motor. And no, that 80 Nm of torque isn't exactly felt. That's because the motor supplements pedal power proportionately and the motor power cuts of at speeds greater than or equal to 25 kmph . The battery is a 48V, 11.6Ah unit while the frame is made of aluminium alloy. The weight of the bike is at a rather higher side- 31.6 kilos, to be precise. The bike also comes with an LCD display which shows the current speed, average speed distance to battery depletion, etc. The bike also has a seven-speed Shimano gear unit.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

Ozone:
The Ozone is lighter than the Renew and is the least expensive of the lot. The bike is equipped with a smaller 8.7 Ah Li-ion battery and a 36V, 250W, 40 Nm rear hub motor. The average range per charge stands at 45 km and the bike weighs at 22.6kg. This bike also comes with a seven-speed Shimano gear. The Ozone also comes in two sizes to suit both tall and short people. Braking duties are taken care by a mechanical disc brake on both ends.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

Spark:
This particular model is loaded with user-friendly technology that makes it the most advanced among the three. The Spark has an all-in-one rear hub motor with integrated battery, sensors and controller. The USP of this bike are the regenerative braking capability during reverse pedalling and a smartphone-controllable embedded hub lock. Additionally, you can also track the location of your bicycle using your smartphone. The bike is equipped with a 5.3 Ah battery, mechanical disc brake at the front and V-brake at the rear. The Spark also comes with a smartphone holder which is quite convenient to use when you've paired your phone with the bike. The bike has a front three-speed Shimano gear system and a rear single-speed Shimano gear. The range per charge stands at 25 km.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

From L to R: Mr V Sreeram, Director- Marketing, Hero Cycles, Mr Pankaj Munjal, CMD, Hero Cycles, Ms Vesna Jacob, Internationally acclaimed Pilates/ Multi functional fitness expert, Mr Rohit Sharma, Chief Communication Officer, Hero Cycles.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->

When it comes to pricing, the bikes are priced as follows:
Ozone: INR 42,050 /-
Spark: INR 81,150 /-
Renew: INR 83,050/-
“EPAC is a nascent segment in the Indian bicycle market. Even as the premium bicycle segment has shown strong growth over the past few years, the EPAC segment has only recently started and has huge potential in the country. Lectro was designed and developed for the European market where EPAC’s are a major draw, with a consistent growth of over 25%, in India, Hero has taken the lead to build and create this category. With Lectro, we are aiming at bringing about a shift in the consumer behavior and give a boost to the EPAC segment,” said Mr Pankaj Munjal, Chairman and Managing Director of Hero Cycles.
The bikes are manufactured at Hero Cycles' plant in Sri Lanka. The Ozone, in particular makes good sense to use in urban India because the price is only marginally greater than a good quality ordinary bicycle. Since there is an electrical back-up, the effort taken to pedal is also minimized, thereby making them ideal for short commutes to schools, offices, markets, etc. What do you guys think?

kaiserketkar

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 403

• 25 Nov 2016, 4:27 pm
Praveen
This is an excellent option for bikers in India, even better because it's the home brand- Hero.
When did these launch? I'm asking because last Sunday, I saw the Renew on the streets of Pune. I remember it distinctly because of the H.U.G.E. tyres, I also noticed the battery pack attached to the frame and figured it must be an electric assisted bike, but never imagined that it would be an Indian bike.
Looks quite good in person.
But yes, the best option would be the Ozone, especially considering the price. I wouldn't be surprised though if a sizeable number of people pick up the Renew simply for it's stand-out looks.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 25 Nov 2016, 4:46 pm
Kaiserketkar
The bikes were launched yesterday, but oddly enough, I also saw a bike that looked like the Renew- here in Gurgaon! It had the same fat tires! I couldn't get a closer look as the traffic was dense. I think we might've seen one of the test bikes. And yeah, since these bikes have an electrical backup, the anxiety of running out of stamina is greatly diminished.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 25 Nov 2016, 5:13 pm
Praveen
I see these bikes as a good local runabout to have. Since it has electrical assist, you really don't have to pedal too hard to move around. Of course, those who want a workout while cycling are better off getting a regular cycle. But those who want to run to the store for something or just travel 5-10 km for something, can easily invest in something like this. The Renew looks butch!

kaiserketkar

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 403

• 25 Nov 2016, 6:26 pm
"Originally posted by Praveen"
The bikes were launched yesterday, but oddly enough, I also saw a bike that looked like the Renew- here in Gurgaon! It had the same fat tires! I couldn't get a closer look as the traffic was dense. I think we might've seen one of the test bikes.

I doubt they were test bikes, the one I saw was being ridden by what appeared to be a young school/ college girl.
"Originally posted by Roshun"
Of course, those who want a workout while cycling are better off getting a regular cycle.

Those who want a workout can ride faster than 25kmph, that's when the battery stops providing power, doesn't it?

KPR

First Gear

Member: 22 Feb, 2016

Total Posts: 72

• 26 Nov 2016, 3:53 pm
I would like to take one as my daily commute to office

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 28 Nov 2016, 9:46 am

"Originally posted by kaiserketkar"
I doubt they were test bikes, the one I saw was being ridden by what appeared to be a young school/ college girl.

Apparently, there are a number of bicycles with fat tyres. Yesterday I saw one with really fat tyres minus the battery compartment. It had some other branding. These bikes with fat tyres are available with prices ranging from Rs. 15-30k in the used and new bicycle market.

Fourth Div