2016 EICMA: Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Revealed

2016 EICMA: Kawasaki..

• 10 Nov 2016, 14027 Views

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 10 Nov 2016, 1:46 pm ( 3 Photos )
Realising the potential of the quarter-litre adventure segment, Kawasaki has unveiled the smallest in the Versys range- the Versys-X 300. As expected, the bike shares its powerplant with the Ninja 300 that is already on sale in India. But, the chassis and rest of the body are all new. True to the adventure-tourer design philosophy, the bike employs a set of 41mm long travel front forks, wind-screen, padded fuel tank, quarter fairing with the headlamp and a gas-charged 'Uni-Trak' monoshock at the rear. More than the Versys' design language, I feel the design of this bike is more reminiscent of the KTM adventure series.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

Information is displayed on an analogue-digital combo cluster. It is equipped with two trip meters, gear indicator, clock, distance-to-empty, current and average fuel consumption, and an eco mode indicator. Kawasaki claims that if the bike is capable of covering over 385 kilometers on a single tank in eco mode. On the safety front, ABS and slipper clutch are standard fitments. The 19-inch front and the 17-inch rear are apt for both on and off-roading as they are shod with IRC Trail Winner tires. Moreover, upswept exhaust means easier water-wading!
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

An interesting thing about this bike is that it is available in two variants- one for the urban jungle and the other for adventure-seeking. The urban variant gets a 30-litre top pannier, centre-stand and hand guards while the adventure variant gets two 17-litre side panniers, centre-stand and an engine guard. Kerb weight is expected to be around 170 kg and the saddle height would be around 800mm. I really hope Kawasaki brings this to India but in all probability, this will be sold at a premium over the Ninja 300. If Kawasaki manages to price it competitively, then it has the potential to make a strong case for itself. Especially because, this would be a refined twin-cylinder entry-level adventure motorcycle. What do you guys think?
Other EICMA Hot Topics:
KTM Unveils 2017 Duke Range at EICMA

BMW G310 GS Unveiled at EICMA
Suzuki Gixxer 250 may be launched soon

Anuj_Mishra_1

First Gear

Member: 06 Oct, 2016

Total Posts: 1

• 10 Nov 2016, 4:42 pm
Praveen
Just looking forward to the prices to be revealed. Because that's the factor which would decide whether it is worth the purchase. However, this bike looks like a proper adventure tourer coming out of shrinking a big capacity motorcycle

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 11 Nov 2016, 11:15 am
Anuj_Mishra_1 The realist in me says it will be more expensive than the Ninja. In all probability, I feel it will be brought from Thailand via the CKD route, just like Ninja 300. Moreover, all Kawasaki products are on the premium side and that means they're more expensive to maintain. If Kawasaki really wants to make a dent in the Indian market, then pricing is very crucial. But then they have to maintain their quality standards as well, which is a difficult balance to achieve.
Also, timing is crucial as well. Next year, we're going to witness a slew of launches including the likes of 2017 390 Duke, Husqvarna bikes, BMW G 310 R and then later G 310 GS. If Kawasaki is considering to launch the Versys X 300 in India, then they'll have to do it as soon as possible.

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 11 Nov 2016, 7:33 pm
Praveen my guess is that the Versys X 300, like the Ninja 300 will be priced at a premium. There is no way Kawasaki can undercut the KTMs as they are assembled here. The Versys X 300 looks like a proper tourer and if they can price it the same as the BMW G 310 GS, then we'll have a healthy fight going on between these two.
One aspect that makes me think this bike the ideal one for Indians is that kerb weight and saddle height. At 170kg, the Versys seems like a good learners bike for people getting into fast motorcycles. What do you think?

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 14 Nov 2016, 11:49 am
NikilSJ Exactly. That's the USPs of these entry level adventure tourers. Low saddle height, controllable power and compact dimensions make it ideal to ride in a country like India! The same mantra was used by Himalayan as well and despite some small niggling issues, the bike is doing pretty well in the market! Moreover, Royal Enfield has ironed out a number of issues in the recent batch, including gear shift issues. I'd say the market for entry level adventure bikes is picking up its pace and things are going to get more and more interesting from now on. I really hope RE brings the Fuel injected, ABS version of the Himalayan as soon as possible in order to keep up with the competition.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 1 Dec 2016, 7:12 pm ( 2 Photos )
Kawasaki Versys- X250 Launched in Indonesia:
Looks like Indonesia always gets the good stuff. Japanese two-wheeler giant Kawasaki has launched their latest budget adventure tourer- the Versys- X250 in the country. The icing on the cake is that the bike is available in two variants- one for city riders and another for adventure-touring riders. The City variant is priced at INR 3.12 Lakhs while the tourer variant is priced at INR 3.67 Lakhs. The bikes are powered by the Ninja 250's twin cylinder 250cc engine. Though no official power figures were revealed, expect the bikes to put out a similar amount of power albeit a bit more tuned towards touring and off-road riding.
The bikes are equipped with top cycle parts like slipper clutch, fuel injection, 41mm telescopic front forks, Nissin brakes, six-speed transmission and a 17-litre fuel tank.
PC: paultan.org
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

The 'Tourer' variant gets a full crash-guard with twin LED auxiliary lights, handguards and two hard-case panniers. The 'City' variant is the basic model without all these fittings. I wish Kawasaki brought this mile-munching/mud-plugging (your choice!) machine to India. If they do, then I'm sure Kawasaki will sell these bikes like hotcakes because right now people are just touring with the Ninja 300 as there is no affordable model from Kawasaki in the touring segment. The Versys- X250 has a good potential to do well in our market. What do you guys think?

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 2 Dec 2016, 11:09 am

Praveen Impressive list of equipment, Kawasaki should definitely bring this twin-cylinder bike to India. I guess the prices if introduced in India will be in the range of Rs 3-3.5 lakh. That would ensure it will give a tough fight to the upcoming BMW GS 310.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 2 Dec 2016, 11:20 am
JijoMalayil
Yes. But I think the G 310 GS will undercut this bike both in price and equipment. It'll be a welcome addition to the segment nonetheless. The only issue is the service costs. Most of Kawasaki's parts are imported and are really expensive. I hope Kawasaki does something about this and make the bikes a little more accessible to enthusiasts like me.

Fourth Div