KUV1OO Drive From Ba..

• 18 Oct 2016, 6252 Views

Rajen_Joshi

First Gear

Member: 18 Aug, 2016

Total Posts: 23

• 18 Oct 2016, 11:53 pm
Hi all,
I'm planning to drive my Mahindra KUV1OO this coming Diwali, which is a long weekend. I've got four days and planning to cover both Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram. I'm going there for the first time, so need your help in planning the trip, suggest me a few places to visit, stay and maybe suggest me some itinerary. Thanks in advance,
Rajen

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 19 Oct 2016, 11:31 am

Rajen_Joshi
I usually drive almost till kanyakumari from Bangalore regularly, as I drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum and there is a turn to Trivandrum just before Kanyakumari , so its a familiar route for me. Its all 4 lane road till Kanyakumari and that stretch can be done in <10 hours on relaxed driving. For food, Dindigul is known for its biriyani options and spicy non veg food. Enroute you can stop at Madurai to see the Meenakshi temple. Kanyakumari has a few temples, the Vivekananda Rock and beaches. From Kanyakumari, you can go to Rameshwaram via Thirunelveli. From Rameshwaram you can either return via Madurai or via Thanjavur. Thanjavur also has many ancient temples and would not be a big deviation. If you have time, you can also go to Kodaikanal while going to Kanyakumari.

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 19 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

Bangalore to Rameswaram, a distance of 600-odd kilometres, takes about 10 hours depending on how many breaks you take. At the same time Bangalore to Kanyakumari, a distance of 640 kilometres, takes the same amount of time too.
Now, I would suggest you to drive down to Kanyakumari first, check-in to a hotel and go see the amazing sun set at the Sunset Point on Day One. The next day you could visit places like the Vivekananda Rock Memorial and Thiruvalluvar Statue. After that, you can spend some time at the beach for a while and walk around the various stalls that sell souvenirs. A trip to Padmanabhapuram Palace is also a recommended, but it is slightly out of the way as you have to head west and cross Nagercoil for that. But if you have the time, I highly recommend it. Avoid the Wax Museum in Kanyakumari as the tickets are highly priced and the quality of the work not that great. Avoid Courtallam Falls too as it will be crowded during the holidays and kind of dirty too.
The next morning (Day Two), you can drive towards Rameshwaram. It takes about 5-6 hours. I’m not sure of the condition of the coastal route now (Tirunelveli-Vembar-Ervadi), but I would recommend you take the Tirunelveli-Kovilpatti-Virudhunagar-Paramakudi route. This route is longer (will take you about 7-8 hours) but the roads are excellent (in fact I would say they are one of the best in the country). I highly recommend you spend two days here as there are quite a lot of places to visit in Rameshwaram which are all worth it. But do make sure to book a room in advance as there are not many good ones available there and could be overbooked for Diwali.
Here’s a list of places you can visit in Rameshwaram:
The Pamban Bridge is a must. It is a feat of great engineering. However, I think only one or two trains pass though it daily. You have to cross the road bridge running parallel to the railway bridge to get to Rameshwaram anyway, so you will definitely not miss it.
Dhanushkodi Beach and Church Ruins: The Dhanushkodi Beach is a must visit. The beach is generally clean and the white-coloured sandy beach is a sight to behold. The ruins of an old church nearby just adds to the whole experience. This church was destroyed in the 1964 tsunami along with many other structures there which gives the whole town an eery look. It is a good place to get some good photos taken. However, I don’t think you will be able to take the car there and may have to hop on to one of the buses that start from Rameshwaram Station.
House of Kalam: Another place you have to visit is former President APJ Abdul Kalam’s house-turned-museum. It is quite close the station and is hard to miss. The place is well maintained and all the articles there are neatly arranged.
The return journey from Rameshwaram to Bangalore will take about 10-12 hours. Once you cross Madurai, the roads are all good and progress is fairly easy. However, there is a high chance of getting lost in Madurai as the roads are not well organised. There is a bypass but finding it is very difficult. I would suggest you check Google Maps for proper directions. Madurai has a few good places to visit too, but I would suggest you to skip them for now as the city can get madly crowded during Diwali and it is easy to get lost in the maze. The roads through Madurai-Dindigul-Karur-Nammakal-Salem-Dharmapuri-Hosur is in a really good shape. But please note that there a huge number of toll booths on this route (carry lots of spare change!).
I have been to Rameshwaram twice before, so if it were up to me, I would skip all the attractions and go for a driving holiday through ECR which goes through Velankanni, Naggapatinam, Mayiladuthurai, Chidambaram, Cuddalore, Pondicherry and then finally on to Chennai. This route takes the same time as the one you have to take to get to Bangalore. So you would have to spend a night in Chennai before heading out for Bangalore again. I am mentioning this only because it is a great drive and this is what I would do if I did not want to see tourist attractions in Rameshwaram.
I think you are going to have a great trip provided you book your hotels before hand and also make sure that the car is in tip-top condition. Also, take a lot of photos in Rameshwaram as that place is simply stunning. Do let us know of your experience here on the forum and have a safe trip.

Rajen_Joshi

First Gear

• 19 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm
Thanks a lot @NikilSJ .. it is very informative.. I've already booked a hotel in Rameshwaram but the thing is I'm heading straight to Rameshwaram first n from there after spending 2 nights I'm going to Kanyakumari for a day(because of time constraint). And moreover I'm first time visiting so would stick to go to the attractions n the temple  

Would love to try the trip u suggested may b next time..
Also, if u can suggest an itinerary for bangalore-rameshwaram-kanyakumati-bangalorr that will b great.
Btw I'm yet to book my stay in Kanyakumari so do recommend any good budget stay for a couple of u have anything in mind.

Once again, thank you n have a good day!
Rajen

Rajen_Joshi

First Gear

• 19 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm
The plan has changed.. I'm heading directly to Rameshwaram from Bangalore n then to Kanyakumari.. so pls let me know if u have any suggestions.. thanks.
Rajen

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 20 Oct 2016, 1:51 pm
Rajen_Joshi Dhanushkodi beach is a must visit. It's fascinating to see the 4x4 maxicabs crawling through the beach, reaching the ruined old town. I'd suggest you book a 4x4 jeep instead of the maxicab or anything else because you can get a better all-round view from the Jeep. I visited the place some four years ago and the whole fording-through-the-water thing reminded me of 2005 flood-hit Chennai lol
On hindsight, I wonder how these vehicles are maintained. What with the frequent runs on salt water, sand, slush and all.

Rajen_Joshi

First Gear

• 20 Oct 2016, 4:32 pm
"Originally posted by Praveen"Rajen_Joshi Dhanushkodi beach is a must visit. It's fascinating to see the 4x4 maxicabs crawling through the beach, reaching the ruined old town. I'd suggest you book a 4x4 jeep instead of the maxicab or anything else because you can get a better all-round view from the Jeep. I visited the place some four years ago and the whole fording-through-the-water thing reminded me of 2005 flood-hit Chennai lol

On hindsight, I wonder how these vehicles are maintained. What with the frequent runs on salt water, sand, slush and all.

That's in my to-do list Praveen.. any chances of getting our own vehicles there? I've seen in some other discussion forums that they Wil start allowing once the roads r built. Not sure though. Whatever the case, I'm going to go there for sure.. 😋  thanks again.

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 20 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm
Rajen_Joshi
I'm not sure of taking our own vehicles is possible, but one needs a proper 4WD vehicle for this place. Most of the Jeeps and maxicabs in that area have high ground clearance also. FWD vehicles are prone to get stuck there. It'll be better if you park the car somewhere and then hire a jeep.

Rajen_Joshi

First Gear

• 23 Oct 2016, 11:50 am
"Originally posted by Praveen"Rajen_Joshi

I'm not sure of taking our own vehicles is possible, but one needs a proper 4WD vehicle for this place. Most of the Jeeps and maxicabs in that area have high ground clearance also. FWD vehicles are prone to get stuck there. It'll be better if you park the car somewhere and then hire a jeep.

I see.. in that case I'll hire a jeep.. 😄 will try to drive by my own if they allow me to.. let's see. Excited abt it 😜

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 25 Oct 2016, 8:10 pm
Rajen_Joshi
Currently, you will need a 4x4 vehicle to cross over to Danushkodi, as the so called "road" runs over a narrow strip of beach to the ruins of the old town. Many people I know have taken their own four-wheel drive vehicles on this stretch, but it is tricky. To really enjoy it, do hire a Jeep and enjoy the experience this time. Go again later, when you get your own 4x4. (I hear they are building a pucca road though, which may spoil this experience in a few years).

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 26 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm
Rajen_Joshi, I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip. Looking forward to a travelogue and pictures from your trip.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 29 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm
Rajen_Joshi
hey, I had seen your car near Karur (enroute to Madurai). I was in a Silver Figo with HVK sticker. Hope you have a great journey.

Fourth Div