My first "new" car - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol Manual

My first "new&q..

• 13 Oct 2016, 9931 Views

suyog

First Gear

Member: 26 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 59

• 13 Oct 2016, 12:30 am ( 22 Photos )
Thanks for encouragement of JOY MRC , I am writing my first ownership post here. I will keep it updated as far as possible and will like to answer questions from fellow users.
I am still trying to learn how to write forum posts correctly, especially referring to someone, adding pictures and editing in general, so excuse me for such errors.
@Moderators, please let me know if any edits are needed or make necessary changes.
I was able to quickly narrow down my options for buying new car and finally get actual delivery on auspicious day of Dasra (Vijayadashmi).
Let me just give you brief about how I started my search and how it finished.
I am relatively new to cars, having got my license just 2 years back. Also mainly driving in city (Pune) and weekend trips to nearby areas (300-500km).
When I bought my i20 (used) from H-promise (Hyundai), my intention was to buy cheap car and use for 1-2 years and then buy new one. I didn't want to have minor accidents, scratches on brand new car.
Decision to buy i20 was easy, as I got really great deal then with 2009 top end grey colour Asta in very good condition.It served me well for almost about 1 year, without much issues.
Fast forward to September 2016, I had already started thinking of buying new car as I realised that resale value of i20 was going down. Also since September,
I started seeing many offers , new launches which also made me think.
I had some basic things clear in mind about my purchase -
1) Must be Petrol (running < 700-800km/month) 2) Budget (max 7.5Lakh) 3) must get good exchange value for old i20 4) no longer than 1 month waiting
When I started checking forums, online sites, YouTube reviews, I narrowed down to following choices based on above criterions.
1) Ford Figo Titanium 6.7 lakh OTR
2) Hyundai Grand i10 Asta(O) 7.13 Lakh (Decided to go with this variant as it was almost fully loaded with safety and convenience features)
3) Toyota Etios Liva VX 7.4 Lakh
Baleno Zeta seemed very good, but long waiting periods. Polo Comfortline was also considered but heard bad stuff related to costly maintenance.
Had temptation to increase budget and get Elite i20 Sportz but sanity prevailed! Tata Tiago was great package but didn’t feel confident with it and again waiting period > 2 months
So I could do test drive of all 3 and though i liked Liva most in drive (underwhelmed by looks, interior), I felt Grand i10 was best package.
Both Figo and Liva didn't have any good offers, discounts Vs really good discounts by Hyundai with above average resale value in exchange for i20.
Meanwhile, there was news about Grand i10 Facelift. It got announced in Paris motor show as well. This was only thing holding me from going for Grand i10.
I tried to find out if facelift will launch soon, but realised by forum posts that it may not come in next 2 months. Also it will not be having discounts.
Finally, post by JOY MRC and some more discussion on forum (@Arjun) about his purchase of Grand i10 instead of Kwid was trigger point for me check that thread here
https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/topi...k-review/page2
I checked at 2 nearby Hyundai dealers (Ishanya and Kothari) and they offered almost similar deals for Grand i10. As i had taken i20 from Kothari, and they were
offering slightly better resale, i decided to book with them. Total package was - 7.13 Lakh OTR
Following were discounts
33k exchange bonus
7k cash discount
23.5k insurance (this is NOT including b2b)
3.5k 3rd year extended warranty
10k 0% b2b+engine protection+4.5k accessories
So overall , I had to pay ~ 4.2 lakh
Decided to add 3 accessories seat covers (7.9k), floor lamination 2.8k, front glass film 3.2k, also got 3M coating package 6.5k
this may be cheaper to do outside, but i didn't want to go though hassle again and wanted to get needed things fitted at delivery itself.
They showed me one Grand i10 fully loaded with accessories like caska AVN system. though it looked tempting , price was too high (~30k)
Initially i had thought of booking on Dasra(11th Oct) and taking delivery on 31st Oct, Diwali, but after checking I found that they can deliver on 11th itself.
So i fast tracked process in just 4 days, Sales guy assured that delivery would be done on 11th though i was sceptical. Got part loan from HDFC which helped in speeding up things.
Whole process happened fast and smooth way. Sales guys were helpful and followed up things regularly. Kudos to them !
On delivery day, I reached dealer showroom at 11AM. They had called and confirmed timing with me earlier. I couldn’t do PDI as I was out of town day before,
place was crowded as many customers had lined up to take delivery on special day. Most were Creta, Elite i20 and Grand i20 customers.
paperwork was done quickly and then one executive gave me overview , explained systems. I will be getting remaining papers soon.
I was out with car by 11:30, went straight to nearby BPCL petrol pump and got complementary Rs. 300 worth fuel and then straight to home.
Here are some pics after delivery.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_7## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_8## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_9## --> <!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_10## -->
Though I had taken 2 test drives of Grand i10 before , they were very brief. Hence for long (~ 12 km) drive to home , I noticed how different it felt to i20
Felt small, like i could better have idea of sides, take into tight spots without much worry, accelerates faster, suspension was much better than old i20
Big difference was seating position as it took some time to get used it. Gear shifts were also notchy (may be initially). Steering felt very toyish, far easier to drive in traffic.
checked basic stuff like radio, bluetooth pairing. It has 1GB memory, Using start/stop button felt strange initially. Keyless entry is really useful thing.
Automatic climate control(as was in i20) is not there, need to select AC and fan level.
I will try to update here as with my experience and questions, I hope this will help others as well as me in future.

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 13 Oct 2016, 2:00 am
Suyog
I congratulate you once again for the new car and for your first ever ownership review. Nice and crisp write up. Good job. Keep posting and you will get the official merchandise early next month after the announcements by the SuperMod Roshun. I have also done a piece on the recently purchased Grand i10 you've mentioned on my cousin's behalf Keep the revv's under 3000 rpm's for the first 1000km for the new engine to properly run-in. Regards...
https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...-i10-1-2-magna

suyog

First Gear

• 13 Oct 2016, 6:29 pm
JOY MRC
I hope to go on longer drive during weekend and can check more things.

suyog

First Gear

• 15 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm
I haven't got documents (insurance, RTO , tax invoice) from dealer yet so could not drive much. I guess Police can easily fine me.
Still I took it out early morning to check highway drive(~25 km), lights and also to fill tank full of petrol. Overall drive felt good (max. 90Km/hr) but i feel this wont be good at >120 (that will be crossing limits here)
Liking gear shifts and clutch (please note I am comparing with 7 year old i20 experience)
Few things I noticed and if anyone can give some clue about it, it will be great though I need to check more:
1) Warning beep sound (seat belt, door open) started and just wont go away. Initially I thought it may be because of low fuel level indicator but even after filling tank full it persisted. To be sure I confirmed seat belt, door, boot door are locked. Then I noticed that this beep is speed specific. i.e. when speed > 10km i guess (need to see carefully again)
2) I have paired my mobile (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) via bluetooth, but receiving calls via receive(green) button on steering is kind of hit or miss. I could receive many calls but for few it didn't. Not sure when i wasn't able to receive , whether it was issue with phone (it was on powersave mode) and Bt was not working.
3) I wasn't able to find out about how to delete some music songs already present in 1GB internal memory. I guess it was put by dealer. Need to check manual to figure it out.
4) Does fan need to be on (not at 0 position) to start AC ? Since i20 had ACC, I never bothered about fan speed in that.
5) There is only 1 button for defogger, does it handle both front and rear windshields ? Again i20 had 2 separate buttons

suyog

First Gear

• 15 Oct 2016, 5:45 pm
okay, point 5 is invalid. Just found from manual that separate button is for rear defogger only and air flow control knob has option to select front windshield defogger.
Point 1 - Checked again and found that warning beep sound is now not coming. I realised may be hand brake wasn't fully depressed.

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 16 Oct 2016, 1:16 am
"Originally posted by suyog"

1) Warning beep sound (seat belt, door open) started and just wont go away. Initially I thought it may be because of low fuel level indicator but even after filling tank full it persisted. To be sure I confirmed seat belt, door, boot door are locked. Then I noticed that this beep is speed specific. i.e. when speed > 10km i guess (need to see carefully again)
I doubt if it may have been caused due to a loose contact in the seat belt buckle end(part near the seat) or one of the Doors latch which would have got stuck then. I have this doubt because, normally when handbrake is applied, It shows a red warning light on the dashboard only, like this LINK . Not sure if the handbrake has a warning sound. same goes for low fuel warning, it's just a light on the dashboard which also triggers a visual message in the MID 'Low Fuel Warning' (Glad you didn't buy the TUV3OO. It has human voice messages for all these things which gets really annoying after sometime). If problem comes back ever again, take a pic of the instrument panel light that is triggered with this warning/ 'bong' noise and show it to the service center. Nothing to worry.
2) I have paired my mobile (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) via bluetooth, but receiving calls via receive(green) button on steering is kind of hit or miss. I could receive many calls but for few it didn't. Not sure when i wasn't able to receive , whether it was issue with phone (it was on power save mode) and Bt was not working.
Must be the issue with phone or network. If this happens again, try restarting the phone.
3) I wasn't able to find out about how to delete some music songs already present in 1GB internal memory. I guess it was put by dealer. Need to check manual to figure it out.
Refer manual and while you are at it, go through the entire manual even if its just a quick read. The info's will come in handy on the long run.
4) Does fan need to be on (not at 0 position) to start AC ? Since i20 had ACC, I never bothered about fan speed in that.
Yes, fan needs to be turned ON for the AC to work(you can however turn the cooling/heating off with the AC button and just use the blower as a FAN but not the other way around.) If you find it too cold even at level 1, try adjusting the thermostat knob[leftmost one] from blue to a comfortable level. this is the knob which you adjusted in the ACC which adjust the temperature readout in degrees. if its turned max to blue, it is at 16 degree celsius, the coldest position.) If you don't like air blowing right at your face even after adjustments try the 3rd knob and select the blower mode(right most one with THIS icon is the front windshield defogger mode). The button with THIS icon is the air re-circulation model and THIS icon is the Fresh air mode. Re-circulation mode is recommended if you want the ac to give fast and more efficient cooling and keep the cabin away from foul smell outside(if any). You may know all this, but I am mentioning just in case, as you are so used to the automatic climate control system in the previous i20. All these info is given in the Owner's Manual.
5) There is only 1 button for defogger, does it handle both front and rear windshields ? Again i20 had 2 separate buttons
You know it now.

suyog

First Gear

• 17 Oct 2016, 1:28 am
Yes, regarding issue 1, it was my mistake handbrake warning it was with visual indication on MID.
Issue 2 - Phone Bluetooth issue is also sorted , I need to disable stamina mode (kind of aggressive power save) on my mobile.
Issue 3 - Quickly found that it is easy to delete songs via menu option and selecting delete via optional button actions (1,2,3 etc)
Issue 4 - You are correct, fan must be on to start AC but i can use only fan without AC if needed. AC performance is really good even at mid end of blue range (may be 20 C)

suyog

First Gear

• 19 Oct 2016, 12:42 am ( 1 Photo )
Got registration number (within week, that's fast) and also free cricket kit finally. It is of high quality , proper bat and ball.

More Photos

suyog

First Gear

• 4 Nov 2016, 8:32 pm
Some update as ODO is reading over 500 km now.
1) To my surprise , registration was done quickly and got number (nothing fancy) within 10 days of delivery considering festival season and good sales.
2) Out of 500 km , almost half(250) was on highway (Mumbai Pune expressway) and 100 km was on really bad interior roads and 150 km was in city.
3) Had minor accident when at traffic signal, one stupid guy (palio) rammed on my left rear wheel which he claimed due to some biker's mistake.
I heard loud thud and felt major damage but as I got down and checked there was very minor(not noticeable) dent on wheel arc and small scratch. Palio's bumber was scratched badly by alloys of my car.
Will get dent fixed on my first service. But felt really lucky to not have any damage at all.
4) Gear Shift still feels notchy, especially 2nd to 3rd shift is sometimes not sure slotted. I hope this will improve.
5) Breaks , especially in city traffic at low speeds have too much bite to my liking. On higher speeds , its good.
6) This is not car to push in corners at high speed, steering feels vague.
7) Feels far more responsive than old i20. Overtaking is easier.
8) AC performance is superb, rear ac vents are very good. At 2 level blower, AC level at medium it cools cabin quickly and I have to switch it off.
9) Suspension is much better than expected after driving on really bad roads with huge potholes (or craters ???)
10) Speed sensing door auto locks should have been there , especially with children at back. Hyundai should note and make improvement.
11) Average fuel consumption, distance to empty must be there. Again, Hyundai ???
12) For long drives, I feel requirement of adjustable front neck rests.I will be buying neck cushion/pillow now.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 5 Nov 2016, 2:54 am
Suyog
That's a nice mix of terrain in the first 1000kms. An expressway drive, bad roads, city roads and a minor accident, wow. That's very eventful.
The lack of speed sensing locks has been a woe in many Hyundai models. Even in some bigger cars, Hyundai does not provide this simple but essential feature. However, I believe you can use child safety locks, so that the rear doors can be opened only from outside and are not accidentaly opened by kids.
There is also a device that connects to the OBD2 port, which can activate this functionality, which costs around 1000. Some people have used it on the Creta AT. I am not sure if its compatible with the Grand i10, but I believe you may find something similar for your car also.
The gearshift is something you get used to, and overtime you would start getting the slotting right. The handling has always been a sore part, but then you will realise its limits and stick to it over time. The head rests are a real pain on long drives. The neck cushions may help to an extent regarding the same.

suyog

First Gear

• 6 Nov 2016, 6:01 pm ( 1 Photo )
Arjun
I will be heading to longish drive(800 km) again so decided to check neck rests in nearby accessories shop. Idea was to try them and get it if price difference is minor Vs Online. But after checking following 2 types, I felt these will not be much useful.

Seat height with integrated headrest itself is less i.e. it comes upto mid of my neck. So using neck rests won't help much. I will be better off taking some breaks periodically than using neck rests. Now I miss adjustable head rests alot.
For Speed sensing door locks, I am surprised that even Elite i20 was not having it untill they added in Asta(O) variant. My old i20 was intial batch(2009) and it had this.
I checked in nearby Hyundai service and they dont have clue about how to add this. Also module seem to be very model/variant specific as I read on other forums. Need to check with other hyundai service centers now. I hope doing this won't void any warranty, right?

Arjun

• 7 Nov 2016, 12:38 pm
Suyog
As it is just connecting to the OBD2 port, and does not involve any cutting or splicing of wiring there shouldn't be an issue with warranty.
Moreover, I would recommend you to remove the OBD device while giving for service as during the service the mechanics may use the OBD port for diagnosis. They would have to remove your add on device and they may not handle it well. So its best to remove all the easily removable accessories before giving for service.
Right now, it is quite uncertain as the device isn't sold in India. The seller has not been able to test it on many Indian cars, but those who have got it are experimenting on different cars . I am sure that soon someone will test it with manual versions and other cars.
For long drives taking enough breaks is always recommended. Less boring, less tiring and you tend to remain more alert. Its also better for the co passengers as otherwise it gets very monotonous.

suyog

First Gear

• 10 Nov 2016, 8:23 pm ( 5 Photos )
Arjun Thanks , will try to check with other Grand i10 owners.
Just came back from drive ~ 800 km and gave car for first free service @1300 km
I did coastal konkan trip and encountered various road conditions - smooth long highways, swirling ghat sections, small roads, pathetic almost off roads, ferry crossings. Very happy with performance of car.
Got mileage of ~ 17 in this trip, earlier to that it was around 13.
First service was normal - AC filter clean, consumables top-up, cleaning (badly needed !). I was able to get car back in 3 hours @Kothari Hyundai Satara road, Pune Service center.
If possible , i will post short post about my trip soon. Here are some pics.

Arjun

• 11 Nov 2016, 4:45 pm

Suyog
​​​​​The warning beep sound is usually the door open or the seat belt indicator. As it was neither for you, there is nothing I can think of. Is there any warning light also coming up?
For the AC to work, the speed should be always 1. If the fan doesn't work AC cannot circulate the air. This is similar for most manual ACs.
I guess you have figured out that the defogger switch is only for the rear windshield. For the front one you need to open the windshield vents and use the AC.
Usually the RC book takes some time to come,but the dealer should be able to provide you with the tax receipt and RC book receipt, along with insurance copy. With these you can drive around without tension. Ask your dealer for these documents. These should be provided with the car. Printing the RC book takes time but all other docs should be available.

suyog

First Gear

• 12 Nov 2016, 11:13 am
Arjun
Hi, most those issues got resolved and posted updated then. I have all required documents now and already driven over 1300 km. RC book/Smartcard still to be delivered though. But I have tax receipt so no worries now.

suyog

First Gear

• 20 Nov 2016, 3:06 pm

Guys, I am looking at adding dash cam. Can you suggest any decent models? I need the following:
1) Good, clear recording especially during the twilight hours. Early morning and during the evening.
2) Easy to transfer data and manage videos
One of my friend is in the USA and will be there during the upcoming Black Ffriday sale.
I am thinking of getting a compatible dashcam for my Grand i10 via him. Please help. Also, I hope there wont be any issues with compatibility, warranty issue?

KPR

First Gear

Member: 22 Feb, 2016

Total Posts: 72

• 21 Nov 2016, 8:26 am
suyog
Kindly go through the manual of your car for warranty related issues if after market electricals are put. Also there is always chance that the dealer raise their hands when something happens and this after market is attributed to that cause ! Some of the notorious dealers are so great in dealing situations with very low acumen. Be careful.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 21 Nov 2016, 12:50 pm
Suyog
I have dashcams in both my cars. One has a rear-view mirror integrated dash cam, and the other has a separate dash cam - a Transcend Drive Pro 220. The latter one is a fantastic cam in terms of the clarity of videos. It also has GPS and hence notes the speed and Lat/Long position of the car. It also has additional functions like lane detection, overspeeding and collision aversion warnings - all of which I have switched off because they are quite annoying in Indian traffic conditions. It also has wifi, making it easy to download footage from the camera to your phone, without taking it out of the mount.
See this thread for more on dash cams: https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...st-suggestions

suyog

First Gear

• 21 Nov 2016, 8:37 pm
Roshun
Thanks, I had read your post earlier but just couldn't find it by searching forums. Blaupunkt one looks good , will check that.

suyog

First Gear

• 29 Nov 2016, 9:55 pm
I have ordered dash cam after reading various forums and youtube reviews. Transcend Pro 220 is being used by my friend's cousing in Elite i20. It felt bulky and kind of distraction. Also my plan to order from USA didn't work as I couldn't find any good deal (Not even in Black friday). Difference in Price was very less.
Then I came across various chinese branded dash cams like VIOFO, YI, ddpai. After checking user reviews and forums, I felt ddpai mini 2 will be good choice. So I ordered from Aliexpress for ~ $ 88. There was one more seller which was selling at $75 but I felt it was not genuine. I bought from "Shenzhen Smartway" which has certificate as official ddpai brand seller. Expected delivery time is very long (~ 40 days) but I was told that item can arrive in 3 weeks also.
Check this link for ddpai mini 2 details:
http://en.ddpai.com/mini2.php
Then I asked my friend to buy Sandisk High endurance card 64GB.
I will update once i recieve all items and I can test it. I plan to not do hard wiring and just use provided charger point with ddpai supplied charger.

Arjun

• 29 Nov 2016, 10:57 pm
Suyog
hey. I was in a similar dellimma. The Transcend drivePro 220 is highly recommended with our super mod Roshun using one himself.
I was not sure if I want to invest that much on a camera. I have purchased one named Xiomi Yi. Similar case as yours, its shipped but will travel for a while. Please update once you get the cam installed with cam pictures and videos.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 30 Nov 2016, 12:16 pm
The type of dash cam you install depends on your budget and the utility. I have a rear-view mirror mounted camera in my older Scorpio (Alria brand), which is pretty average. It cost Rs. 4,500. In my new one, I have the Transcend Drive Pro 220, which has excellent clarity and added features such as GPS (notes lat, long & speed), lane departure warning (I've turned it off as it is annoying in Indian conditions), collision alert (again a feature that keeps beeping), overspeed alert etc. As for its size, it's not that big - yes, there are smaller, more compact ones available. Check the photo of it below:

Arjun, suyog

Fourth Div