How to Store Your Motorcycle

How to Store Your Mo..

• 27 Sep 2016, 47331 Views

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 27 Sep 2016, 5:02 pm ( 1 Photo )
Life commitments and motorcycles don’t always go hand-in-hand and when that happens, people sometimes end up sacrificing the pleasure of riding. Many a times, the sacrifice is only for a short term but owners tend to miss out on proper storage precautions for their bikes. Inclement weather and moisture will take a severe toll on unattended bikes as it causes rusting and a host of other problems. If the bike is left idle for a month or more, then it is advised to take the necessary steps to ensure proper storage of the bike. Here are a few tips I’ve compiled that’d help you preserve your prized possession:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

PC: www.thebikebarn.net
Storage:
* If your bike has any technical issues, sort them out by giving it to the authorised service centre. Get it washed and cleaned properly and let it dry for sometime.
* Check and lubricate all the joints. Apply WD 40 on places like brake lever joints, kick start linkage, footpeg joints. Cover all the electrical terminals with a film of WD 40. That way, the wires are protected from moisture and rust formation. WD 40 is sort of a magic fluid which has a variety of uses. So, make the best use of it.
* Apply some WD 40 on the exhaust tip to prevent rusting and moisture formation. Plug the hole with a plastic bag. Cover the exhaust tip with a plastic bag to keep insects away.
* Clean the motorcycle chain thoroughly and apply WD 40 over it. Same reason - prevents rust and moisture build-up. This is done only when the motorcycle needs to be stored. A thicker grade lubricant is recommended when the motorcycle is in use.
* Drain out the fuel from the petrol tank completely.
* Remove the spark plug, pour a little engine oil into the spark plug hole, so that the cylinder inside is coated with oil. Close it and crank the engine a couple of times to ensure uniform coating. Fit the spark plug back. The oil prevents rust formation inside the engine.
* Remove the battery and clean it. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Then apply WD 40 on the terminals, cover the battery and store it in a cool, dry place.
* If your motorcycle has chrome plated parts, then apply ‘Brasso’. It cleans the surface and then wax polish the surface. Brasso is normally available in hardware stores. Please note that do not use Brasso on painted surfaces. For wax polishes, I’d recommend going for a good brand like 3M.
* Take four stone blocks or bricks and put two of them under the centre stand. Place the other two bricks under each wheels. This makes sure the tyres don’t soak in water when it rains.Also, ensure the tyres are inflated to the recommended pressure. Cover the bike with a properly fitting bike cover. Go for the one recommended by the manufacturer. They usually fit quite well. Spray Mortein or any other bug spray around the bricks and around the bike. This will prevent insect infestation. It is better if the storage is done in a covered area, free of moisture.
Reuse:
After storage, when you want to reuse your bike, make sure you take the necessary precautions:
* First, take off all the covers carefully without tearing it. You may need them for another time. Clean the bike thoroughly and check the tyre pressure. Inflate the tyres to the correct pressure.
* Check the fuel lines for any signs of degradation.
* Clean the air filter. If your bike uses a viscous paper filter, then do not clean as it is not recommended for that type of filter.
* Take out the spark plug and clean it. Please check the manual for the correct gap between the electrodes. You can use a feeler gauge to measure the gap.
* Check if the clutch and throttle cables are taut.
* Fill the tank with fuel.
* Fully charge the battery. You can get this done from a bike mechanic or the service centre. Install it in the motorcycle and connect the terminals.
* Now, pull the choke and start the motorcycle. If your ride has a kick starter, use it as it puts less stress on the bike’s battery. Warm up the bike for a few minutes before you start riding. If you have anything to add, you can expand this thread by commenting below. Cheers!

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 28 Sep 2016, 7:06 am
Praveen
I can see the article sparkly clean ,shiny, and slippery with the use of all the WD40 .
WD40 is godsend for all mechanical items. Even at home, I fix half the issues with WD40. Someone once said, fixing mechanical things is simple. You just need WD40 and duct tape. If it should move and isn't moving use WD40. If it shouldn't move and is moving, use duct tape.
I was surprised when you mentioned WD40 for the chain, but as its mentioned its only for storing the bike, and that the chain needs to be lubricated before use, it makes sense. For long term, when the bike stand is on bricks, I believe we should try to keep the tyres from touching the ground and even if they touch they should touch minimally. This would help in slower deflation of tires.
Draining the tank may not be a good idea for FI bikes in my opinion. It may cause the fuel pump to stop if its cranked immediately after refilling.
In order to start a FI bike which had its fuel tank emptied you need to prime the fuel pump before starting. Mostly, it will throw an error if the fuel pump gets no fuel. Now when you turn on the ignition, you can hear the fuel pump. Once fuel is refilled, just switch off and then on the fuel pump. Repeat the procedure 4-5, times before attempting to crank the engine.

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 28 Sep 2016, 11:23 am
Arjun Yes, WD40 is indeed a one-stop-solution for one's car/bike needs. Your statement reminds me of this funny post:
https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/topi...=2328#post2328
Do check out their website. It has all the recommended uses and frankly it makes me wonder how did they come up with a single fluid that can be put to so many uses! By the way, what you've advised makes sense for fuel injected motorcycles. I think this should be the same procedure for Roshun 's Classic 500. Oddly, RE has not mentioned any FI- specific procedures for long term storage of the Classic 500 in their instruction manual.

Fourth Div