KTM to launch new Duke 200/ Duke 390

KTM to launch new Duke 200/ Duke 390

KTM to launch new Du..

• 19 Sep 2016, 72619 Views

CorsaVeloce

"Stage 3 Mod"

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1305

• 19 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm ( 2 Photos , 1 Video)
UPDATE: The 2017 Duke Range has been unveiled at the 2016 EICMA motor show. The event is covered in the thread below:
The internet has been abuzz with speculations and spy pictures of the 2017 KTM 200/390 Dukes. The most recent pictures snapped in India and Europe show that the changes in the bike are anything but minor updates. There is also a video that has emerged from the Youtube channel 'Burn N Run' with a full walk around of the 390.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

Firstly, it’s been confirmed that this is pretty much the final form for the updated model and it actually looks like a scaled-down version of the 1290 Super Duke R. In fact, one or more of the paint schemes on offer will be identical to its larger 1,301cc sibling. Although the new tank’s capacity is still unknown, the spy images reveal a more aggressive design. The interesting bit, however, is that the tank is now supposed to be all-metal; great news for those who want to use magnetic tank bags and other riding gear. The 390 has been the bike of choice for many who like to take the open highway.

There’s a lot more to be excited about; There is a brand new LCD instrument cluster that looks extremely contemporary, it will be full color TFT unit. Like the bigger siblings, this unit should be able to connect to the riders’ smartphone, and will be able to show GPS data. And just like that from the 690, the tachometer graph will change colours as the revs climb. The latest video also confirms new 4-way input switchgear to navigating the menus on this new LDC instrument cluster.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

CorsaVeloce

"Stage 3 Mod"

Total Posts: 1305

• 19 Sep 2016, 12:23 pm ( 1 Video)
Here is another video spotted of the KTM rolling on the highway. Not a big fan of the extended rear mudguard though, looks hideous.

This bike is expected to make it's global debut at the upcoming EICMA in Milan. Should make to India by early 2017.

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2343

• 26 Oct 2016, 5:36 pm
Some more details of the upcoming KTM 200 Duke and 390 Duke has surfaced online. A video of the 390 Duke undergoing tests shows that the larger capacity Duke will come with the revamped full-colour LCD instrument cluster that was first seen on the 690 Duke sold in Europe. The four-way mode switches on the left handlebar confirms the same.
The 200 Duke test mule on the other hand was caught testing with the older instrument cluster. On both models, the key slot has been moved from the top of the triple clamp to the front portion of the fuel tank. Both the bikes will run the same engine as before albeit with slight revisions for a smoother power delivery (power and torque figures are likely to stay the same). The new engines will also have to meet Euro IV emission norms. The underbelly exhaust will definitely be scrapped for a conventional side-mounted unit. The new Dukes will also come with ride-by-wire technology as part of standard package. However, the added weight of the new bikes is likely to blunt the top speed by a small margin.
The new Dukes will get a new two-piece frame as mentioned elsewhere on the forum. The 390 Duke is also set to get separate functioning forks which simply means that one side will be configured to handle compression damping while the other side will handle rebound damping. Such forks already feature of the Austrian company’s dirt bikes. Body work, seats and headlights are likely to be the same for both the bikes. The headlights may feature LEDs for main beams too.
The new 200 Duke and 390 Duke will be unveiled at the Milan motorcycle show (EICMA) and is likely to hit India sometime early next year.

Praveen

Enthusiast

Total Posts: 2027

• 4 Nov 2016, 12:59 pm ( 1 Video)
A teaser is out, hinting at the 2017 Duke range. Here's the video:

The new Duke will be unveiled on the eighth of this month, at the EICMA show. But details of this bike is still not clear and we don't know if it is the 390 Duke or the parallel-twin 800. Damn, the next four days are going to be so long!

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 9 Nov 2016, 12:24 pm ( 3 Photos , 1 Video)
KTM Unveils 2017 Duke range in EICMA:
The cat is finally out of the bag as KTM has revealed the much awaited 2017 Duke series at the EICMA today. You can watch the unveil here:
Just skip to 14:00 to watch the unveil:

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

Let me skip the pleasantries and come straight to the point. Here are the changes made in the new 2017 390 Duke:
* Bigger fuel tank (13.4 litres)- a godsend for tourers!!!
* Bigger front disc- 320 mm now, up by 20 mm.
* Digital TFT Display- displays a multitude of information including gear shifts, mileage, etc. Can be paired with the optional MY RIDE interface with which one can pair one's phone to the bike's display and navigate using the handlebar-mounted buttons. The display also adapts to the ambient light to ensure optimal visibility. Also, MY RIDE can display incoming calls and music on the instrument panel itself!
* LED headlamps- Hopefully this ends the poor illumination woes of the current gen Duke.
* Euro 4 compliant engine which is more refined, thanks to the balancer shaft. The bike gets a side mounted exhaust and the power stands at 44 hp.
* Improved front USD forks with adjustable pre-load. The forks has fewer components and are easier to maintain as well.
* Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
* Increased front rake angle- 66 degrees now, and reduced wheelbase- 1357 mm, for better handling.
* Increased ground clearance- 185 mm and increased saddle height- 830 mm.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

Apart from these, the bike has the same six speed transmission as found on the current gen Duke. Slipper clutch and ABS are standard as well. All these changes have resulted in an increased in weight by ten kilos. The bike now tips the scale at around 149 kg dry. It shouldn't be much of a bother considering the fact that the amount of equipment this motorcycle offers is absolutely mind-boggling! The new Duke could indeed be the stepping stone for riders looking to graduate towards more powerful bikes. This bike is expected to demand a premium of around Rs. 20,000 over the current gen Duke and if they manage to price it competitively, it has a solid chance to simply obliterate the competition!!
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

JijoMalayil

Total Posts: 2293

• 10 Nov 2016, 1:30 pm ( 1 Video)
Here is a walk around review of the new Duke 390 done by Overdrive. The new Duke series was unveiled at the EICMA 2016.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 10 Nov 2016, 2:06 pm
JijoMalayil At 0:44, the KTM Spec display says 'Weight ready to race (without fuel)' Dafaq does that mean? lol On a serious note, the bike looks absolutely ravishing nonetheless. I'm pretty sure my next ride is going to be this! One small niggle, though- there is no provision for a windscreen, not even a small one. Riders will complain about the wind blast as this bike is already capable of reaching hair-raising speeds.

NikilSJ

• 11 Nov 2016, 7:24 pm
The new Dukes look stunning. It certainly looks a lot more grown-up than the older bike even with all those cuts and slashes. The new exhaust doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. However, I find the headlamp a bit too wild. They look very alien-ish. I like the smaller units on the current bike better.
From the walkaround video, it looks like the new Duke has a bigger pillion seat which is good. The older bikes seat was rather tiny and high-set. However, this has robbed the Duke of the stubby tail. The new tail looks longer and somehow makes the bike look like it belongs in a segment above. Just my thoughts.
Another concern I have is with the full-colour digital TFT display. While the whole unit looks modern and refreshing, my worry is will it be legible under bright sunlight? The 800 Duke was the first of the Dukes that featured a similar display and reviews said that it worked brilliantly under different lighting conditions. However, this being a cheaper bike, could KTM have gone for a screen with less resolution. We'll have to wait and see.
Another issue that worries me is the increased saddle height of 830mm, will shorter Asian riders still be able to ride it without any discomfort? Or will KTM give us a version with reduced padding?
The increased front rake angle should definitely make it a lot calmer on the highway. So I guess it will be a much more comfortable tourer than the older bike.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 14 Nov 2016, 11:59 am
NikilSJ Yes, the display will be visible under sunlight as it has the auto brightness feature. Saddle height will be a bit of a problem but since the bike's kerb weight is already low, I think riders will get used to it. And yes, this bike will be a great tourer, especially because of the new counter-balanced engine for smoother power delivery and a bigger fuel tank. The reason KTM has gone with this type of headlamp is to make it look relate-able to the Super Duke, so that people will feel they've bought a younger sibling of a legendary bike. Another reason is this LED promises to be better than the current gen ones. The current gen headlamp is notorious for its poor illumination. The bet thing about KTM is that they LISTEN to the feedback given by the customers! First customers complained their engines are overheating, KTM updated the fans. Next, KTM provided us the slipper clutch to control the bike better. After that this- the 2017 has pretty much resolved almost all the drawbacks of the current gen Duke!

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 16 Nov 2016, 11:51 am
I asked a couple of dealers in Chennai and they said the 2017 Duke will reach the showrooms by April 2017. Now, Motorbeam has also confirmed that the new Duke will be launched by next year in January and deliveries will start by April. Though the expected price increase is around INR 20,000 over the current generation Duke, I feel the price is bound to go up because of all the technological improvements. But if they price it below INR 2.5 lac, then the bike will do pretty well in the market.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 8 Dec 2016, 1:08 pm ( 1 Video)
2017 KTM 390 Duke Video:
KTM has showcased the 2017 390 Duke's handling prowess in its latest video- The Corner Rocket. Here's the video:

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 26 Dec 2016, 1:54 pm ( 2 Photos )
More Test Pictures of the 2017 KTM 390 Duke Revealed:
KTM's upcoming budget performance motorcycle, the 390 Duke has been spotted yet again in India. The test mule is under proper camouflaging and even the exposed trellis frame has been painted. Have a look at the pictures by Indianautosblog:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->

In the front portion, the headlight and the instrument cluster are positioned a bit apart from each other and I feel it'd make installing a flyscreen difficult. The large digital display could've been integrated better I feel. But that's just a minor issue and in the 2017 Duke, the company has promised to overcome all the issues the current generation Duke suffers from, including range, refinement, headlamp brightness and the likes. The bike is expected to be launched in January 2017 and will reach the dealerships in April. Expect the 2017 390 Duke to command a premium of about INR 20,000 over the current generation model. I can't wait to put down my booking amount!
Image credit: Indianautosblog.com

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 16 Feb 2017, 1:49 pm
It has been confirmed that the 2017 KTM 390 Duke will be launched on the 23rd of February in Mumbai. Expect the pricing to go up by around INR 10-15k. But I feel the new Duke will offer an excellent value for money despite the marginal price rise, considering the amount of technology it offers.

NikilSJ

• 17 Feb 2017, 6:09 pm
Praveen, rumour has it that KTM is bringing the 250 instead of the 200. Is that true?

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 20 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm ( 1 Photo )
NikilSJ I don't think so. Because, if they tried to launch the 250, the price will go further up and will be closer to the 390 Duke. One of the USP of the 200 Duke is value-for-money, (which stands true for the 390 as well), but the thing is the 200 Duke should be accessible to KTM enthusiasts under a tight budget. The new Duke 200 gets a few design changes, to make it look more like the Superduke R. Both 200 Duke and the 390 Duke will be launched on the 23rd of February, by the way.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_7## -->

I personally love the black wheels and I think they should bring this as at least an option on the bigger 390 Duke as well. It gives a proper menacing undertone to the bike's hooligan attitude. The new 390 is a bit too orange in my opinion and thanks to Trump, the integrity of the word 'orange' is lost now.

NikilSJ

• 21 Feb 2017, 1:00 pm ( 1 Photo )
"Originally posted by Praveen"
NikilSJ I don't think so. Because, if they tried to launch the 250, the price will go further up and will be closer to the 390 Duke. One of the USP of the 200 Duke is value-for-money, (which stands true for the 390 as well), but the thing is the 200 Duke should be accessible to KTM enthusiasts under a tight budget.
It looks like KTM could indeed bring the 250 Duke instead of the 200 Duke. These images were shot my a Motoroids reader and shows the KTM 250 Duke without any camouflage. These bikes are shod with MRF RevZ tyres which could mean that this is an India-spec model. 248cc sing-cylinder, 31PS of peak power,24Nm of peak torque and slipper clutch should make it quite exciting don;t you think? Only two things won't be available with the 250: LED headlamps and the fancy TFT screen from the bigger brother.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 21 Feb 2017, 1:46 pm
NikilSJ
Slipper clutch on this one too? Wow! If they bring this to India, I'm sure KTM will maintain the value for money proposition, proportionately, considering the upgrades this motorcycle has!

NikilSJ

• 22 Feb 2017, 4:26 pm
Praveen, the latest report from Overdrive says that KTM is likely to continue selling the 200 Duke as it is and introduce the 250 Duke to make a three-bike Duke lineup. Pretty interesting don't you think? Could this also mean that the 200 Duke will receive a small price cut as well?

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 22 Feb 2017, 4:48 pm
NikilSJ
Yes, considering we've seen the spy pictures of both the bikes in India, it could be a possibility. But in that case, as you say, the 200 Duke should get a price cut and the price of the 250 duke should be just about right so as to not cause any conflict between themselves, market wise. But I'm not sure how KTM is going to manage the price cut (if they do) of the 200 Duke considering all the expensive upgrades it just went through. Also, if not the 200, at least the 250 should come with ABS, I feel. I'd pick ABS over slipper clutch any day, when it comes to street bikes.

Fourth Div