Which Type Of Gear Knob Do You Prefer?

Which Type Of Gear K..

• 01 Sep 2016, 17870 Views

Ronny

First Gear

Member: 06 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 233

• 1 Sep 2016, 10:29 am ( 8 Photos )
We might have test driven many car and might have found the car lagging due to long gear throws, notchy or a clunky gearbox. Recently, I found one more issue which I usually face in my daily driver - Fizzy.
Fizzy has short gear throws, good gear ratios and feels well spaced out in every gear yet holding the knob doesn't inspire enough confidence or help make better use of the short gear throws. I had driven the Maruti Suzuki Swift and some Hondas which had ball-type gear knob which surely feels good to hold and i find myself shifting quicker than my beefy Fizzy's gear knob.
So my question to all is which type of gear knob do you prefer over the others and why? Which gear knob provides you the quickest gear change?
Pictures attached for reference
Ball Type
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->
Beefy Knobs
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->
Pole Type
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->
Slim Leather Wrapped
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 1 Sep 2016, 10:44 am
I prefer the ball-type knob as it easily fits in my small hands. I love the gear knob on the older Hondas. I always wanted to get a ball-type one for my Punto. But sadly, the Fiat is no longer with me

Ronny

First Gear

• 1 Sep 2016, 10:52 am ( 2 Photos )
NikilSJ If Fiat had a better gear knob for a better grip, it would still suffer from its gearbox IMO
Yes, I too prefer ball type Suzukis and Honda's gear knobs.
Imagine an Indian car having a T-type knob in an MT like we use to see in any Hollywood movie .

JijoMalayil

Total Posts: 2293

• 1 Sep 2016, 11:18 am ( 1 Photo )
Ronny I like those beefy knobs, like the one seen in Ford cars. It is complemented by those short throw gear box. Just feels Nice

NikilSJ

• 1 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm ( 2 Photos )
"Originally posted by Ronny"
NikilSJ If Fiat had a better gear knob for a better grip, it would still suffer from its gearbox IMO
Yes, I too prefer ball type Suzukis and Honda's gear knobs.
Imagine an Indian car having a T-type knob in an MT like we use to see in any Hollywood movie .
Hahahaha. I have to agree with you that one. The Punto's gearbox is terrible no doubt. What's the T-Type knob though. I don't think I have ever seen one. Can you post a picture?

NikilSJ

• 1 Sep 2016, 4:06 pm ( 1 Photo )
"Originally posted by JijoMalayil"
Ronny I like those beefy knobs, like the one seen in Ford cars. It is complemented by those short throw gear box. Just feels Nice

Yes, they are my second favourite one. I love my dad's Ford EcoSport for the short throws. It feels so quick changing gears and it slots in nicely.

Ronny

First Gear

• 1 Sep 2016, 4:18 pm ( 2 Photos )
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"

Yes, they are my second favourite one. I love my dad's Ford EcoSport for the short throws. It feels so quick changing gears and it slots in nicely.
I am referring to these type of T- gear knobs seen on Vin diesel's muscle cars.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->
I am myself used to beefy ones on my ford figo but somehow unable to get the perfect grip that i desire to have while quick shifting. Though it does its job as it should but still ball type knobs is my first choice for sure.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 1 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm ( 1 Photo )
Ronny
Vin Diesel's gear shifter reminds me of this meme.

Even though the T-type gear knob looks cool, it would suit only automatics where most of the shifting is in one direction. When you have to move it left and right a lot especially while driving the round gear knobs feel better. When moving the T type gear lever to left, the strain would be on your fingers and not on your palm which wouldn't be great on long drives.
My choice would be round gear knobs for shot throwing gearboxes and Ford type beefy ones for long throws. In the long throw gear shifters you would prefer holding a little lower to push the lever more easily.
However its not a deal breaker for me. Within a few hours, we do get used to the gear knob and can easily manage with any type of gear shifters.

kaiserketkar

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 403

• 1 Sep 2016, 5:58 pm ( 2 Photos )
"Originally posted by JijoMalayil"
[QUOTE=JijoMalayil;n16976]Ronny I like those beefy knobs, like the one seen in Ford cars. It is complemented by those short throw gear box. Just feels Nice

Yup! I like those ones too! Feel nice and chunky to hold. Had the normal ball type in my Scorpio 2.6TDI, and but the beefy ones of the XUV combined with the cable shift 6-speed is a breeze!
I’ve never really seen the pole type gear knobs. Wonder where they have been used? Doubt it’s in any car sold in India. And it seems to be without any advantage as well.

Ronny
Vin Diesel's gear shifter reminds me of this meme.

Even though the T-type gear knob looks cool, it would suit only automatics where most of the shifting is in one direction. When you have to move it left and right a lot especially while driving the round gear knobs feel better. When moving the T type gear lever to left, the strain would be on your fingers and not on your palm which wouldn't be great on long drives.
My choice would be round gear knobs for shot throwing gearboxes and Ford type beefy ones for long throws. In the long throw gear shifters you would prefer holding a little lower to push the lever more easily.
However its not a deal breaker for me. Within a few hours, we do get used to the gear knob and can easily manage with any type of gear shifters.
LOL! Yeah, that's hilarious!

DrImran_Tamboli

First Gear

Member: 04 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 1

• 4 Sep 2016, 9:40 pm
I like beefy type of gear nob , in fact changed mine ball type of nob of Swift dezire with beefy type which comes with ciaz

Syedmoiz73

First Gear

Member: 09 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 4

• 9 Sep 2016, 10:56 am
Ronny My preference is a type coming in Aspire.It looks good as well as feels good while shifting gears.It even gives a premium look to the cabin.😄

Fourth Div