My first Petrol hatch: Tiago OR Grand i10 OR Figo ??

My first Petrol hatch: Tiago OR Grand i10 OR Figo ??

My first Petrol hatc..

• 30 Aug 2016, 4364 Views

Vikram Iyengar

First Gear

Member: 30 Aug, 2016

Total Posts: 4

• 30 Aug 2016, 8:34 am
Hi All,
I am looking to buy my first hatchback and my budget is around 6 lakhs and I was dead sure about the Tiago.
Quick reasons why i like tiago - Feature loaded, Pocket Friendly
Why i dont like - Skeptical about Service & Resale Value
Until I saw the Grand i10 and Figo which is a little more from my budget , although offers better service than Tata.
Please help on which one should I go for on the lines of Service promise and Resale Value.
Thanks

CorsaVeloce

"Stage 3 Mod"

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1305

• 30 Aug 2016, 12:47 pm
Vikram Iyengar, the Tiago is a very good package. It packs in the features and reliability that you want and the pricing is just the icing on the cake. TATA has been saying that they have improved their Service standards and the all the workshops had a special round of training after the introduction of their new line of engines.
Given your budget, I would suggest the Tiago over the Grand i10 and Figo. Not only is the Tiago better equipped, it will have better resale than the Ford for sure. American brands are known to have lower resale value as compared to Hyundai and Tata.
You should have a look at the Tiago review, should help. Here is the link to a similar discussion - https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...-under-6-lakhs

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 30 Aug 2016, 12:55 pm ( 6 Photos )
Vikram Iyengar
This is the most asked question these days and the Tiago is clearly unbeatable when it comes to the value proposition. I'd say go for the Tiago as it saves you a lot more on initial investment and you don't have to worry that much about resale as generally the Ford's petrol and hyundai's metrol models don't have much of a resale value as say like, a Maruti's petrol vehicle. Grand i10 is ready to be facelifted soon so better to postpone the purchase for a little but longer if you are stuck on that. Figo is excellent value but again, not as much as the Tiago. Tiago is reported to have a 3-4 month waiting period(unheard of for a TATA Car) for the 1.2L Revotron petrol variant. so if you can't wait that long, get a Figo. else book for the Tiago and wait. The grand i10 facelift will be out by then so you can decide whether to stick on or cancel the booking and get the Hyundai instead. I am quoting the posts for easy reference. Regards...
Originally posted by nithinbharadwaj"
Hi All,
I am planning to buy a new petrol car (Sedan/ Hatchback) within a budget of 6 Lakhs. I am pampered for options with Ford Figo, Honda Amaze and the like. Please help me in identifying the best petrol car under the 6 Lakh segment.
Currently, the best value-for-money proposition in the Rs 4-6 lakh segment is surprisingly the TATA Tiago. The top-end trim costs under Rs 5 lakh rupees ex-showroom and the kit that you get for that money is simply spectacular. That is also the reason why this little car has a 3-4 month waiting period which is surprising for a TATA car. 80% of the bookings have been for the 1.2L petrol model. You get some unique features like height adjustable driver seat, Harmon Kardon music system with navigation, ABS+EBD , 2 Airbags , same power output as the Maruti Suzuki Swift yet 1 cylinder less so more fuel efficiency, and what not. The money you save upfront on purchase can be used for buying petrol for a long time too. The car offers terrific value for money. Take a look at the indepth review by NikilSJ to get a clear image of the Tiago and a test drive will tell if you like it or not.

https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...indepth-review
Other options are the Swift VXI(O) model and the Figo 1.2 TITANIUM (due to the recent price cut) variants both of which comes under your budget ex-showroom but significantly higher than the Tiago and offers less kit. But if you don't want to buy a TATA car, then the Figo is the best option as a fully loaded car than the Swift, but the Swift is still the better car to drive when it comes to petrol. The 1.2 Figo does not feel as punchy or quick unlike its diesel model which feels like a pocket rocket (1.5D). The Amaze is available only on the base model given your budget. So doesn't unless you want the boot, better give this a miss and look at the Figo Aspire compact sedan (Figo Aspire TITANIUM comes in 5.99 lakhs ex showroom, Trend(mid model) is 5.76 lakhs (ex-delhi). Attaching the new ford Figo and Aspire prices below for reference). Regards...
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"
Hey nithinbharadwaj, I'd go with Joy's suggestion. The Tiago is indeed a great value-for-money package, especially the top-end XZ variant. It offers features that even hatchbacks and compact sedans a segment above don't. On the top-end variant, you get dual-airbags, ABS and something which Tata calls Corner Stability Control (brakes the inner wheels while taking a corner to offer more stability). I was very impressed with the Tiago's ride quality and handling as it is neither too stiff nor too soft and ideal for the city. The steering is light enough to manoeuvre in tight parking spots. The top-end even comes with rear parking sensors. The Harman Kardon system is a thing of wonder as it delivers awesome sound quality through the four speakers and four tweeter setup. The seats are comfortable and the driver's seat even gets height adjustment. However, the only thing that stands in the Tiago's way is the Tata brand name and the perception that Tata cars are unreliable and difficult to maintain. If that puts you off, I suggest you look at the Ford Figo Trend variant. It comes with all the safety features you'd need in a hatchback and doesn't cost a bomb. If you need extra space to carry your luggage, then the Figo Aspire is the default choice. However, the 1.2-litre engine is not for enthusiastic driving. It is adequate for city driving but highway drives requires a bit of effort.
Link to thread - https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...?old_vb_link=1
"Originally posted by JOY MRC"
Hyundai India seems to be readying a facelift for the Grand i10 hatchback.Testmules are spotted on the Chennai-Bangalore Highway and have surfaced on the Internet thanks to the prying eyes of enthusiasts.The hatchback was launched back in 2013 and it is due time for a ~3 year mid life facelift like with all hyundai cars.

The hatchback segment is facing intense competition and with the launch of the Tiago,some drastic measures was in order.In the above image we can see a restyled Diamond cut alloy wheels and camoflaged front and rear giving us an idea that the car will come with a restyled front and rear end.Although we cant see through it,DRL's may be included since the Swift already has it.We saw DRL's being added to the Elite i20 at a later date which was earlier available only with the i20 Active.

We can see a sneak peek of the restyle front grille in the picture above and it looks better and fresh than the outgoing model for sure.

The Interiors of the car is also taped down.So expect a new redesigned center fascia with the inclusion of a touch screen with navigation like the i20/Active/Creta or atleast just a bigger color screen stereo.The built quality of the Grand i10 was always best in the segment and we hope it would continue the same way.

There may be not be any engine change and the car will continue to get the 1.1L 3 Cylinder CRDi Turbo Diesel and the 1.2L 4 Cylinder Kappa2 Petrol engine.There could be a small bump in power to the CRDi motor to aid in better city drivability and highway ride.From the pictures it seems the car is ready with official production tags on the side.We can expect the launch later this year but no official words are out as of now.
Source - Motor.vikatan.com

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 30 Aug 2016, 3:23 pm
Vikram Iyengar although I am a big Ford fan, the Tiago wins my vote here. Yes, even I am very sceptical about buying a Tata car just because of their service experience. But I have heard that they have overhauled the experience completely and that they are no longer the slouches that they used to be. The Tiago comes feature packed like no other car in the segment. I especially love the top-end variants Harman-sourced music system with eight speakers (4 drivers and 4 tweeters). Do check out the review that CorsaVeloce posted above for more details.

Vikram Iyengar

First Gear

• 30 Aug 2016, 9:19 pm
CorsaVeloce
Thanks for the reply !! I found this an interesting piece of information that TATA has revamped its service wing with the introduction of their new line of engines. However, the qualms with the noise inside the cabin are still lingering, although we can't expect too much from a 3-cyl engine. Any other hiccups you found while taking this car for a test drive would be really helpful. As now I am getting closer to convincing myself in favor of the Tiago !!

Vikram Iyengar

First Gear

• 30 Aug 2016, 9:37 pm
JOY MRC
Thanks Joy. The review was very helpful and the main reason I had to introduce the Figo into this equation was to compare the safety features with the Tiago, given that its a TATA brand against a FORD counterpart. If sales really has improved from TATA's front and the Tiago being a game-changer has a lot to offer, I would definitely go for it not jus for the budget friendly proposition but for an overall experience.
If you have any other comments on the below -
body durability, noise inside the cabin (although being 3-cyl), reliability of some parts like the age-old lock knobs, foldable back seat which of course looks sketchy since we have to lift and throw the seat cushion away to fold the back rest and hence becomes an issue of ergonomics on the long run IF at all the seat cushion falls apart.
Thanks !!

JOY MRC

• 30 Aug 2016, 11:39 pm
"Originally posted by Vikram Iyengar"
JOY MRC Thanks Joy. The review was very helpful and the main reason I had to introduce the Figo into this equation was to compare the safety features with the Tiago, given that its a TATA brand against a FORD counterpart. If sales really has improved from TATA's front and the Tiago being a game-changer has a lot to offer, I would definitely go for it not jus for the budget friendly proposition but for an overall experience. If you have any other comments on the below - body durability, noise inside the cabin (although being 3-cyl), reliability of some parts like the age-old lock knobs, foldable back seat which of course looks sketchy since we have to lift and throw the seat cushion away to fold the back rest and hence becomes an issue of ergonomics on the long run IF at all the seat cushion falls apart. Thanks !!
Vikram Iyengar Yes I do acknowledge your concern about long term reliability which is not TATA's strong point till date. but to prove that their car's are not like the past, they had conducted an Endurance race where their models Bolt, Zest and Tiago did a non stop 50,000 km run(GearedForGreat event) at an average 120kmph where the Tiago covered the distance in 17 days. CorsaVeloce was one amongst the Team who did the drive on the 4.2 km long NCAT (National Centre of Automotive Testing) high-speed test track at the Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (VRDE). So that should cover up reliability concerns as we will never strain the engine that much in day to day drives. Sheet metal quality is always better than say, a Maruti or Hyundai and strong enough, Noise insulation is quite good but to see if YOU are satisfied, the only way is to go and take a testdrive of the vehicle. Figo in the top end trim(over budget) offers 6 Airbags so is the safest car money can buy in that segment yet, as Elite i20 is also set to launch the 6 airbag version Asta(O) this festive season(which is also be over budget). The feel of the knobs in the Tiago again feels good to operate but needs to be physically experienced by you to see if it matches your expectation. The figo offers more kit(more pricey naturally) so if you still feel the Tiago is missing the x factor, you can go ahead for the Figo. Doing both the test drives the same day will greatly help judging the products and making your decision that much easier.Regards...

JOY MRC

• 30 Aug 2016, 11:43 pm
Many Q&A's on the Tiago can be found here - https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/post...ched?post=9053

Vikram Iyengar

First Gear

• 31 Aug 2016, 8:31 am
JOY MRC
Thanks Joy. I am sorry I dod not mention that I Had driven this vehicle and then had these doubts later going by owners' gripe in social media and ZW forums alike. But I am assured to the maximum extent from your detailed explanation and now I am waiting for my instinct to kick in between the Tiago and Figo to jus "GO" for it.
Thanks !!

JOY MRC

• 31 Aug 2016, 11:39 am
Vikram Iyengar
Let us the updates and Throw in some pics of your new ride on delivery. Glad we could help. Regards...

suyog

First Gear

Member: 26 Sep, 2016

Total Posts: 59

• 26 Sep 2016, 11:52 pm
JOY MRCI registered with zigwheels forum as I found them having queries which I had , compared to other forum or expert websites.
I am having i20 Asta (almost 6-year-old) which I bought the year ago in resale. I am having exactly the same question , budget ~ 7 lakh and shortlisted following (all Petrol)
1) Figo Titanium+ 2) Grand i10 Asta 3) Tata Tiago XZ 4) Micra Active 5) Celerio (least)
But after some more study, I found that I can stretch budget by 20-30k and get Baleno Zeta, Etios Liva
Though after using i20 and Hyundai , I would have loved to get Elite i20 , my budget fails well short of it.
My question is whether I should wait for Grand i10 Facelift , will be announced in Oct and available in November/December? I liked it's designed in pics released so far.
Or should I go ahead and get Figo which I really liked , especially in red colour. Thanks

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 27 Sep 2016, 10:40 am
Suyog If you like the Figo petrol (I assume you have driven the car), go for it! Within the specified budget, you can get the Titanium+ variant with comes feature loaded with six airbags and Ford's My Sync voice-activated command system among others. Dynamics and suspension setup is the arguably the best in the segment. Great value-for-money.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 27 Sep 2016, 11:20 am
Suyog
I assume you have already test driven these cars. As you already have an i20 Asta(assuming petrol), other than the Figo, all the other cars are smaller and wouldn't exactly count as an upgrade.
It would be a good decision to go for a smaller car if you face a lot of congested traffic, but otherwise you would find the space lesser than the i20.
Nissan Micra has recently changed its offering and reduced the variants. The Petrol variant is only available with the CVT automatic version. If you are living in a city with heavy traffic this would be a good option. Other than that the Micra Active is available in petrol options but it has been updated years back and may face discontinuation any time once sales slow down further.
The Grand i10 would be a good option as you are already a Hyundai owner, you may also get further discounts and you would be familiar with the dealer and service center. The engine is same as that in the i20, so that is again familiar territory. The interiors in the grand i10 are truly grand but in terms of space its not as spacious as the i20. With lesser weight and same engine, the Grand i10 feels peppier.
As the Grand i10 is being sold with big discounts now, we can expect they are clearing stocks for the new version. However there are no clear announcements and dates given by Hyundai for the same , so waiting for it is a gamble.
The Tiago is a good package but its much smaller than your present car and it isn't much better than your present car in most aspects. Hence I wouldn't recommend that to you.
Now coming to the Ford Figo. First you should be aware that the Ford Figo is a slow seller now. After the initial high sales the sales of the Figo slowed down. Moreover, the Figo is more popular in the Diesel avatar, so a majority of the sales would be for diesel. That said, I do not think Ford would consider discontinuing the Figo anytime soon. The Figo Titanium+ is the best feature loaded car available in the segment. It disappoints in terms of the engine but otherwise its quite a good package of space and features.Before going for the Figo, I would suggest you to take an extensive test drive of the car. During the test drive, make sure that you drive with the AC on to feel the engine in driving conditions. The Figo has a more powerful AC as compared to the competition and this pulls in more power from the engine. Take it over a few speed breakers and try to pick up speed from stop. This way you can understand the engine's capability.
If you feel satisfied with the engine, there should be nothing to rethink about the Figo.

suyog

First Gear

• 28 Sep 2016, 1:07 am
Arjun
JijoMalayil
Thanks for valuable inputs, yes I have done TD of Figo, Grand i10, Celerio and Tiago. May be since I am used to i20 ,I felt right at home with Grand i10. After that Figo , then Tiago ,Celerio.
I didn't test drive Micra Active, Baleno or Etios Liva. Micra Active seems to be great VFM but as you rightly said faces uncertain future.
I am very sedate driver and don't understand much about buzzwords like peppy engine, enthusiast driver car so frankly speaking didn't find much issue with Figo petrol while somewhat long test drive. Yes ,it has best AC system of all.
As I asked earlier should I increase budget (7.4L) and also wait for 3-4 months (waiting) to get Baleno Zeta Petrol? I didn't like design but all other things are +ve (space, features,maruti)
How is Etios Liva? I read that it has consistently got better safety ratings from NCAP. Though I don't like looks of it much and don't know about service, costs of toyota. One of my colleague has it and praises it a lot.
I am thinking of waiting till Diwali (Oct last week).If Grand i10 facelift doesn't show up till then I will go with Figo/Baleno(Depending on waiting period).

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 28 Sep 2016, 1:33 am
Suyog
The not understanding the peppy engine and such fundas was the exact reason I asked if you are satisfied with the engine.
Sometimes, for us petroheads these extra things become a problem and we keep on bickering about it, when in the real world it hardly matters to drivers.
Hence I had mentioned that if you felt satisfied, the Figo is a great option.
Now coming to the Liva. The Liva is a great package by Toyota. Its light, but still sturdy and has done well in crash tests.
It has a good engine, nice feel to the steering, handles well, is cheap to maintain and will bore you by being trouble free. The not so good part for the Liva is that the design felt outdated right from the launch. The interior quality was another thing which make people wonder if this is what they deserve after spending around 6-7lakhs. The center mounted speedometer is something that doesn't suit everyone's taste, and the numerous cusometic updates , infact didn't bring much improvement in the overall aspects of the car.
The fact that the versions sold outside India were getting better updates which were toned down in India launches frustrated private buyers even more.
The only flaw in the Etios is that its exteriors and interiors look a generation old. Other than that there is not much to complaint about.
The Vios sedan is expected to come to India as its been spotted testing,but Toyota is a brand which takes its sweet time to test(not complaining, as they need to do it to deliver quality) and so we can expect quite a delay for the Vios launch. The Vios sedan maybe followed by a hatchback in the same platform but till then(a 2 year timeline) I feel the Etios will continue to sell. Taking that into consideration, the Liva would be a safe buy.

suyog

First Gear

• 28 Sep 2016, 9:21 pm
Arjun
Yes Liva looks like from past generation. Not interested in sedan now. One thing I noticed that Figo, Grand i10 don't have 60:40 rear seat folding. This is really useful thing in my current i20.
​​

suyog

First Gear

• 12 Oct 2016, 1:28 am
update - I bought Grand i10 Asta (O) Manual , updated thread at https://www.zigwheels.com/forum/topi...k-review/page2

Fourth Div