2012 Figo TDCI Squeaking noise

2012 Figo TDCI Squea..

• 10 Aug 2016, 6412 Views

Ronny

First Gear

Member: 06 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 233

• 10 Aug 2016, 2:45 pm
Hi all, Ronny again. This thread is regarding my recent better half Fizzy to be exact after her recent service couple of month ago. Link provided below
In recent weeks i am having some strange sounds during morning startup of the car. The car is absolutely fine in driving but the squeaking noise pops up only in the cold morning starts. Sound remains for only 4-5 seconds & goes off. I always follow the rule of warming up the engine before every drive so 1 minute warmup is my daily routine activity.
I am aware of the fact that at my car is 3 year 8 month old & 47000 kms run so that could be ageing belts wanting replacement. I have heard few stories of belt getting snapped on other parts due to loosing tension.
So a expert opinion is needed. Am i thinking correct? Can the sound is because of ageing belt or loose pulley tensioner? Or is it any other thing making this squeaking sound

Shreyans

Member: 27 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 60

• 11 Aug 2016, 9:53 am
A loose belt seems to be the most likely culprit here. Do get the tensioner's bearing checked as well.

Ronny

First Gear

• 11 Aug 2016, 1:55 pm
Does the matter require immediate action or shall i postpone for the next service. This issue prior to any noise was discussed with Zakir in WOS Noida & one Ford service center, both of them suggested that immediate action is not a necessity & i can change the belt at the next service.

Ronny

First Gear

• 13 Aug 2016, 11:57 am
Hi guys, Ronny again. This thread is in continuation with my previous posted thread of Figo 2012 TDCI squeaking noise issue.
Link to thread attached below.
Today i visited Ford after sales service & booked a slot @Harpreet Ford Sahibabad. Since i have no other option of another service center, I am left with this only.
Got a quick check up of the car & inspection was performed by one of their senior technicians.
According to him the culprit for noise is the Drive belt itself & would cost 800 INR + labour only BUT he gave me a shock giving plenty of another bad news which occurred due to drive belt wear. Belt was having minor cracks & had disturbed alternator pulley, dumper pulley & 2 nos. bearings . According to him due to the negligence of the noise the damage was done & the bill would rake upto 16000 INR.
How come the drive belt damage other components when the actual squeaking noise occurred just past 2 weeks ago. How come it could damage in a short span of time.
I was still unaware of one more surprise package he was hiding. Upon my request he performed a car inspection on there side & found the front shock absorbers was leaking & asking for replacement. The cost would be 4500 including labour. Battery was ageing & voltage was dropped at crank than actual. Cost would be 4000 after discount with 1 year warranty.
Total cost of repairs are coming - 16500 (Belts & pulleys) + 4500 as Shockers replacement + Battery 4000 = 25000 Approx. was quoted on his side.
Now i am in a dilemma whether the he is taking me for a ride or is it actual. Though he is accepting that belt doesn't give up too soon. Apart from battery which i would be changing anyway do i require second opinion from another service center or shall i go with this repairs here only. Currently the car is with them only & waiting for my approval.
I want a Expert suggestion from your side. What's your say in this? Shall i go with repairs & have a second opinion.
A quick reply would be appreciated.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 13 Aug 2016, 3:12 pm
Ronny
I would suggest getting a second opinion on this. Yes, belts do go bad, but rarely is it so bad that it damages the pulleys and bearings also. I have a feeling the service station is trying to make a quick buck off you. Please go to another service station and get it checked. The belt alone may need replacement and proper tightening that's all.

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 15 Aug 2016, 12:16 am
Ronny
Visit a FNG if your car is out of warranty mate.It is indeed looking like the ASC is trying to make some money since you seemed concerned on the car.When i had similar squeaking issue in my M800(about 28-30k done but 10years old back then) the ASC asked me to replace the belt and some other things as a proactive measure.I visited my friends workshop and he just tightened the belt and the noise went away,as simple as that.I replaced all rubber belts in next service as the car was over 10years old.I bought MGP Parts myself and changed at the FNG.In your case also replacing the belt(If its cracked) would solve the issue but take an outside opinion to avoid further damage if any.
The strut condition can be inspected by yourself.find a level ground.Look in the wheel arch and Lift the rubber boot(you'll see polished chrome part like our bike shocks then) where the coil spring ends by inserting your finger and feel for oil smear(black dust is normal).If you find oil in the fingers then the strut needs a replacement.else its fine.Avoid/Slow down on bumps and huge potholes to avoid such issues in future.
Battery replacement should not be delayed as your car is a Diesel.Starting entirely depends on good cranking capacity.Diesel car batteries give away all of a sudden and is difficult to push start unlike petrol cars.Switch to AMARON as i never had any issues or warranty cases with AMARON so far.I tried Exide regular & Matrix,SF Sonic,AC Delco before.and this was the best.Hope you get your issues resolved soon.Regards...

Ronny

First Gear

• 16 Aug 2016, 10:37 am
I had visited Gautam Buddh Ford & it turned out to be a bad experience again. GB ford was conducting a "Set for Monsoon" camp & since it was the last day of the offer the crowd was a bit more. I booked an inspection slot at the reception & was advised to wait for the technician to arrive from the workshop. After waiting for close to 25 minutes, my patience gave up & was about to leave the station. To my luck GM service was on his routine supervision & seeing my anger he turned up to me. I explained him the matter exhaustively & upon request a service advisor was allotted immediately. SA assured a solution even before checking up the car. The car was started & checked by the advisor & he began to make his report card. He came out of the car & said car is looking fine & I can hear no noise.
I again corrected him that the squeaking sound is only in the morning startup. Since I have already driven the car & warmed up engine sound may not be heard. To which he replied saar make the car available on August 16 as we are a bit busy right now & we might not have space to park the cars under workshop (This was @1100 hrs). We are not able to diagnose the issue to which I politely replied that you can keep the car for the day & do your testing and call me in the evening since I was sure the sound would pop up again when I would leave the car for 2 hours.
The SA was not at all ready to check the car & rather insisted to come on 16 & get the car on 17. As I wanted the car on 16 evening for some work & said keep the car with you for the day & do the testing today & initiate repairs on 16 so that you can deliver the car in the evening. But again don't know why they do not want the car to get in - whether due to crowd or the repair time. If ford has set a camp for the customer, it doesn't matter how much the crowd is, dealer can't refuse a customer's car (may be I am expecting more from dealer or is it the same with every dealer). I have been to Hyundai & they have never said the cars are full & we would not be able to complete your request. I simply walked off the station having an answer that they would not be able to do inspection today.
The car is now with Harpreet Ford Sahibabad. As they had earlier suggested, along with the belt the dumper pulley & the alternator pulley need to be changed coupled with two bearings. They also advised immediate action on the battery replacement to which I humbly refused as I am more keen on buying Amaron 45AH battery, not the MotorKraft 38AH one which Ford supplies along with Fiesta & Figo diesel. I assume they are selling the same battery model on their petrol variants too. To my tiniest knowledge a basic Amaron would cost Rs 4200 & with the buyback scheme you are set to shell out just 3200-3500 INR with 2-4 year warranty upfront. Ford is only giving 1 year warranty @4000 INR & 2 Year warranty on 5200 INR Battery. Not a good game, Ford.
I went to the service center to personally check the car & found the front shock absorbers were leaking indeed. So the replacement was in order. Till now the repairs are limited to drive belt, bearings, dumper & alternator pulleys & front shockers. The estimate till now is 20,000 INR if everything goes in a perfect manner. Let us see what I get as a result today. Car is going to be delivered today.
Can anyone suggest me what would I need to check in the road test? Quick replies would be appreciated.

Ronny

First Gear

• 16 Aug 2016, 10:48 am
"Originally posted by JOY MRC"
Ronny
Visit a FNG if your car is out of warranty mate.It is indeed looking like the ASC is trying to make some money since you seemed concerned on the car.When i had similar squeaking issue in my M800(about 28-30k done but 10years old back then) the ASC asked me to replace the belt and some other things as a proactive measure.I visited my friends workshop and he just tightened the belt and the noise went away,as simple as that.I replaced all rubber belts in next service as the car was over 10years old.I bought MGP Parts myself and changed at the FNG.In your case also replacing the belt(If its cracked) would solve the issue but take an outside opinion to avoid further damage if any.
The strut condition can be inspected by yourself.find a level ground.Look in the wheel arch and Lift the rubber boot(you'll see polished chrome part like our bike shocks then) where the coil spring ends by inserting your finger and feel for oil smear(black dust is normal).If you find oil in the fingers then the strut needs a replacement.else its fine.Avoid/Slow down on bumps and huge potholes to avoid such issues in future.
Battery replacement should not be delayed as your car is a Diesel.Starting entirely depends on good cranking capacity.Diesel car batteries give away all of a sudden and is difficult to push start unlike petrol cars.Switch to AMARON as i never had any issues or warranty cases with AMARON so far.I tried Exide regular & Matrix,SF Sonic,AC Delco before.and this was the best.Hope you get your issues resolved soon.Regards...
Thanks joy for replies. I am indeed in favour of buying a Amaron battery. I have never replaced a battery in the past as all the cars wasn't kept with us for long & was sold off early & this would be my first time.
Anything that i need to vouch for. Crank voltage, brand, ampere, model, variant or anything. Found 2 types of batteries for ford figo on battery bhai.com. They are offering 43Amp battery & one 45 Amp battery. Which one is suitable for diesel ford. As i have mentioned earlier i have heard ford using 38 Amp battery for both Fiesta & figo. Is that right?.
Thanks & Regards

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 16 Aug 2016, 10:57 am
"Originally posted by Ronny"
Can anyone suggest me what would I need to check in the road test? Quick replies would be appreciated.
That is an exhaustive note on the attempted service experience at Gautam Buddh Ford. It's always advisable to avoid these camps that are organized, because of the rush. That's the same reason, I also avoid weekends when giving my cars for service. It's better to go mid-week when they don't have a rush and can pay better attention to your car. Now that you have given it to Harpreet and gone ahead with the belt, pulleys, bearings and suspension strut replacement, I would think these are the things you need to check for before taking delivery. Ask to see the replaced parts. Inspect the belt & pulleys. Start and check for noise (including with AC on). Check the suspension struts, take a drive and listen for noise. Check to see if they have done wheel alignment (it is necessary once you do any sort of suspension work). Just a question - why do you keep shifting service stations? It's best to pick one and stick with it, because that way a familiarity with the station / service advisors / mechanics builds and usually such relationships work much better in the long run.

Ronny

First Gear

• 16 Aug 2016, 11:44 am
"Originally posted by Roshun"
Just a question - why do you keep shifting service stations? It's best to pick one and stick with it, because that way a familiarity with the station / service advisors / mechanics builds and usually such relationships work much better in the long run.
That's because i haven't got satisfaction from any of the dealers. Since i have no option other that to have service at these 2 only as they are nearby to me. Other one @ Harpreet Ford Moti nagar is indeed very good but quite far from my place. For FNG apart from trusted WOS i didn't felt the mechanic confidence working on my car. Few of them had already said "This is the car which he often avoid to work on" as the working space is less, engine bay is small. Car has electronics which often goes wrong while working on something & its very difficult for them to clear codes at there part.
Hence the frequent shift in a hope of getting a better service.
Regards.

Ronny

First Gear

• 16 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm
Got a call from Harpeet ford Sahibabad & again got a bad news from there side. It has became a habit of always having a bad news from Harpreet Ford sahibabad. Upon road testing the car, the squeaking noise has been eliminated but a strange sound from engine bay has cropped up & is coming only when they press the accelerator pedal.
They want me to replace the timing belt too that would make me poorer by 8000 more apart from 20000 I would be paying them for drive belts & pulleys.
If I had given the car in perfect condition, its there responsibility to give the customer car as it is. When I gave the car there was no sound upon acceleration but now it persist. How come the timing belt fail which has a claimed life of 1.2 Lakhs kms (Source: Official Ford India Website). Timing belt is sealed in a packed chamber, how come it could be damaged? Now it seems they are definitely throwing their faults on me & want me to pay for there failures.
Shall I now escalate to ford for this issue?

JOY MRC

• 17 Aug 2016, 1:44 am
Ronny
Sorry about the late reply but couldnt check the site until now.demand to see all the replaced parts to be sure and listen for any suspension noise with a quick drive to some bad roads(not too hard to find in India).Regarding the newly reported noise,It could be missed when sitting in the cabin and can be heard only when we are at the engine bay with an open bonnet.Anyways if you are sure that the noise was not there before leaving it to the service center.speak with the manager and write to Ford.you will atleast get free labour or atleast a discount to the overall bill as an amicable solution which is better than nothing to say atleast.Always pick the battery with the higher Ah rating if it fits/is for the same model.The higher Ah will come in handy if you are installing more accessory like extra lights or amp-sub etc you can also be safe when listening to music with engine turned off for longer without the fear of the battery gettting down.Aftermarket batteries have more Ah(there are exceptions) and longer life than stock batteries provided they are of good make.The Stock battery conks off faster if we install more extra accessories as they are designed to work in stock specifications only.Regards...

Ronny

First Gear

• 17 Aug 2016, 12:50 pm ( 4 Photos )
JOY MRC @Roshun
The car is now with me & i have received all the faulty parts. During the delivery i asked the advisor about the timing belt noise issue which he pointed out on call. He told when the technician took a road test drive belt issue was sorted & upon hard acceleration there was aabnormal noise which is even hardly heard. He tried to repeat the same sound in the workshop by giving accelerator slowly, but no sound was heard.
According to him sound exist in approx. 3000-3500 RPM range & the noise was coming from timing belt compartment. Since he couldn't imitate the noise what he told me on the phone, the scenario seemed fishy to me & thought they were trying to make more bucks from me. Then center's DCRC Level 2 manager came & tried understanding the issue. Her response was the same, may be the product could be faulty from ford's end but also agreed that there might be no issue with the belt. It seemed that center was not ready to take the resposibility rather making Ford fault here.
Anyways the price quoted by them for timing belt replacement was 8000 & completely ignored & said we'll look into it afterwards. They were even charging me for car washing which is actually free when u have repair orders in workshop.
So the final bill for Drive belt, damper pulleys, alternator pulley, bearings & shock absorbers came @ 19,326 INR in which mere 2770 INR was for labour. I was eligible for there camp discount of 15% which stands @350 INR Lolzz.
Car is performing fine & no noises were heard today morning. Even raised a complaint regarding timing belt replacement suggestion from the dealership to FOrd India & they are yet to make a call. Lets see what Ford India do now.
Attaching few pics of the Work done.

Regards.

JOY MRC

• 17 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm
Ronny I remember in my old M800 5 Speed there was a krr...krr... noise when accelerating sometimes in neutral in the same 2500-3500 range (like when we use sandpaper) which was common to all 5 speed 800's and it was from the Gearbox(Top gear noise as per mechanics).There was no issue with it till i sold it 12 years and 53k done.I think its something like that only. don't bother about it if it cant be heard now.The thing that requires attention is the battery as that is something that can strand you on road.
2770/- for labor seems pretty decent since it is authorized workshop.Strut removal,assembly and refitting charge in Maruti workshops is about 900 a pair.The service costs have come so much lower in Ford as back in the Ford Ikon,Mondeo heydays it was as high as with VW,Skoda.For the same work you would have shelved 5-8k in labor charge.It was smart not to spent another 8k as you can spent half of it and get a new battery.Did they change the whole strut/shock absorber assembly(strut,coilspring,mount) or just the center strut only and reused the old parts(cheaper and what we do usually).Spending 20k out of the blue is not what you want still on the bright side FIZZY is back to her former glory.Take it easy on speedbumps and potholes in Future to avoid such surprises.I learned it the hardway
Had to replace struts,tie rod ends,inner ball joints,stabilizer ball links and various bushings when i went courageous on my Joymobile back in college but after all this and oil changes the bill was in the tune of 9k only.Good times.
Usually you dont need an alignment check for strut change but since the struts were leaking the expect there were some good jolts and alignment could be out.So to avoid uneven tyre wear and early replacement(which would again make you poorer) visit a good tyre alignment shop and get it checked(will cost about 350/-) you will get a free 3 month checkup usually.Ask for the Alignment report printed if they dont give you.Regards...

Ronny

First Gear

• 18 Aug 2016, 5:39 pm
Ronny I remember in my old M800 5 Speed there was a krr...krr... noise when accelerating sometimes in neutral in the same 2500-3500 range (like when we use sandpaper) which was common to all 5 speed 800's and it was from the Gearbox(Top gear noise as per mechanics).There was no issue with it till i sold it 12 years and 53k done.I think its something like that only. don't bother about it if it cant be heard now.The thing that requires attention is the battery as that is something that can strand you on road.
2770/- for labor seems pretty decent since it is authorized workshop.Strut removal,assembly and refitting charge in Maruti workshops is about 900 a pair.The service costs have come so much lower in Ford as back in the Ford Ikon,Mondeo heydays it was as high as with VW,Skoda.For the same work you would have shelved 5-8k in labor charge.It was smart not to spent another 8k as you can spent half of it and get a new battery.Did they change the whole strut/shock absorber assembly(strut,coilspring,mount) or just the center strut only and reused the old parts(cheaper and what we do usually).Spending 20k out of the blue is not what you want still on the bright side FIZZY is back to her former glory.Take it easy on speedbumps and potholes in Future to avoid such surprises.I learned it the hardway
Had to replace struts,tie rod ends,inner ball joints,stabilizer ball links and various bushings when i went courageous on my Joymobile back in college but after all this and oil changes the bill was in the tune of 9k only.Good times.
Usually you dont need an alignment check for strut change but since the struts were leaking the expect there were some good jolts and alignment could be out.So to avoid uneven tyre wear and early replacement(which would again make you poorer) visit a good tyre alignment shop and get it checked(will cost about 350/-) you will get a free 3 month checkup usually.Ask for the Alignment report printed if they dont give you.Regards...

Thanks Joy & other experts for the spending time with me in this topic. The new noise is not from the gearbox but from the sealed engine compartment where we have crankshaft attached with camshaft(Approx.). For the suspension part they only replaced front shockers but not completely. They utilized the mounts & springs as they were in good shape & changed only the struts. Yes i have learned to be more easy on speed breakers & potholes else $$$$ loss on your pocket. We have a fine example of CorsaVeloce where he had to change his suspension @90K Kms. In my case there could be more damage due to lower profile rubbers that i was using 195/60 R14. Currently on 185/70 R14 which may provide a better ride quality on cost of handling. Yes i had to spare precious handling because my father was having backache so thought of replacing with higher sidewall rubber.
I must say that the officials @ Harpreet Ford sahibabad are so bad they didn't even told Ford Chennai that what all items has been replaced in my car. Today morning got a call from Ford India & they had already understood my point of concern & why i had resorted to them. According to Ford India the dealership has told them only half of the story in which they told the noise is coming from the drive belt & hence they had replaced belts & struts. They didn't told them about the alternator pulley. Ford India not knowingly about the story told me that sir your alternator pulley has some play in it & hence would require replacement & your noise issue would be sorted out.
I mentioned Ford India about the parts & the whole story behind the scenario that Struts bearings, damper & alternator pulley along with drive belt was changed & dealer warned me about Timing belt replacement. To this they were totally unaware & asked for more time to gather data from the dealership.
My point is how dealership could be so smart that the parts which were billed in the same invoice, they didn't provided all the details to the company but only the few parts. I have asked Ford India for replacing timing belt under goodwill if it is under serious condition. The matter has been with the Ford India senior persons & they are yet to respond on on the warranty replacement. I somehow felt that Ford India was covering up the mistakes of the dealership.

Ronny

First Gear

• 18 Aug 2016, 6:08 pm
JOY MRC @Roshun
Hi all i've just got a call from Ford India & have accepted that timing belt/Pulleys shouldn't have failed with this much ODO reading & age. Since they treat Timing belt & supporting parts as a wear & tear part, they are not willing to honor warranty on timing belt. BUT they are considering the scenario under special case & hence they are willing to pay 50% of the pulleys price that's going to be replaced. According to Ford this should be replaced as early as possible for longetivity of the engine.
So is it a good idea to get the timing belt components replaced under a special scheme from Ford.

JOY MRC

• 18 Aug 2016, 10:36 pm
Ronny
Thats what I told you earlier. When we escalate the issue to the manufaturers, they say it is not their fault but will give us such 'Special' offers just so that we feel that they are giving extra care. Anyway, the better option is to take the offer and replace what is required as at least we don't have to pay the full price. In your case, the ASC didnt open up the defective area and its at best a manufacturing defect for going kaput so early. Since it's a wear and tear (service) part, no point prolonging the repairs as it will do more damage in the long run.
I had faced a similar issue with TVS-Mahindra once back in '03, the air conditioning was fixed (was low on cooling before) at the ASC and to my surprise was not working the next day (FAN wont turn on and AC was off). On Inspection they said the pipes had bulged and I have to shell $$$ again for the pipes+gas but they can forgo the labor costs since its was only the other day it was fixed. Since this was clearly their fault, probably by overcharging the system, I stood my ground and had to raise my voice to the superiors. My point was that this cannot happen overnight, they knew the system was at fault when they sent the vehicle back which happens only after a testdrive and rechecking of all the systems. Some firing sessions to the service advisor was done in the meantime and voila they agreed to repair it at their own cost (dealership-level, not Mahindra) and was fixed and delivered 2 days after.

Ronny

First Gear

• 23 Aug 2016, 11:05 pm
Thanks guys for being so supportive about this issue. I am back again with some good news. Since I was offered 50% discount on the timing belt kit and had no other option to replace it, I went ahead and got the timing belt changed along with the tensioner pulley, idle pulley, bearings and the timing belt itself. The total cost for the work stands at Rs 4,480 out of which Rs 1,500 was charged as labour and the rest was the cost of all the parts after a 50% waiver from Ford india. The car was delivered yesterday and here are the initial impressions after all the repairs.
The car has no noise apart from familiar diesel clatter. It seems to have become punchy even on brisk acceleration. A little dab on the 'A' pedal makes the car move which was not the case earlier. It required a bit more dab.
Note to all members: According to Ford India the warranty for timing belt is only 2 years or 1,00,000 kms and not 5 years, 1,20,000 kms warranty. 5 year is the replacement schedule of the timing belt. Despite my product being out of warranty Ford honored 50% cost under special case as my product being only 47,000 kms on the ODO and 3.8 years it should not have gone kaput this early. Seeing my past history of the car they offered the above said discount. Kudos to them for having a great customer response system.

JOY MRC

• 24 Aug 2016, 1:38 am
Ronny so,your car is back to her former glory and you saved some money during the process. That's what we call a WIN-WIN. Wishing you trouble free motoring. Regards...

Ronny

First Gear

• 25 Aug 2016, 3:56 pm
Ronny so,your car is back to her former glory and you saved some money during the process. That's what we call a WIN-WIN. Wishing you trouble free motoring. Regards...
Thanks everyone for your kind help at every stage & being supportive in every situation.

Fourth Div