Convert your Old Petrol or Diesel Car to an Electric Hybrid Legally

Convert your Old Petrol or Diesel Car to an Electric Hybrid Legally

Convert your Old Pet..

• 18 Jul 2016, 125872 Views

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 18 Jul 2016, 2:42 pm ( 1 Photo , 1 Video)
Government notifies norms to convert petrol and diesel cars to electric hybrids
The government of India has just notified the norms to convert all old petrol and diesel vehicles to petrol-electric or diesel-electric hybrids by installing kits. One can also convert these cars to all-electric vehicles. This applies to vehicles that currently run on petrol or diesel only and are BSII and above, because of the rising levels of pollution in Delhi.
A statement from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways says and I quote:
The Retrofitment of Hybrid Electric System kit on vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight not exceeding 3,500 Kg shall be permitted if it conforms to Bharat Stage II or subsequent emission norms, if it was not retrofitted earlier.
This amendment has been made to the Central Motor Vehicle Rules (CMVR) 1989 in 2016. (This is the 7th amendment to the motor vehicle rules).
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

So how exactly does one go about getting these kits installed?
One of the kinds of kits is the starter-generator hybrid system, which assists the engine at low rpms, kind of like the system that Suzuki has in the Maruti Ciaz SHVS and Ertiga. This system consists of an electric motor that is attached to the existing engine by means of a belt drive. It draws its power from a separate or existing stack of batteries that can either be separately charged or charged from the engine’s alternator. When the vehicle is accelerating, it provides electric power assist to make it easier for the motor to turn, thereby reducing emissions and increasing fuel efficiency. When the vehicle is decelerating, it turns into a generator and recharges the batteries.
Kits like these are made by Bosch and KPIT Cummins. In fact, you can check out a video demonstration of the latter (Revolo from KPIT Cummins) that I did a few years ago when they showed it at the Auto Expo.
Here’s the video:

However, there’s a huge amount of confusion right now – on one hand the government has allowed converting old petrol and diesel vehicles to electric hybrids (but kits and installers don’t exist yet). And on the other it has just banned all 10 year old diesel vehicles in the Delhi-NCR region, without any respite to owners to either conform or sell their older vehicles elsewhere.
Also see these related threads:
Air Pollution – The Sad State of Delhi
Supreme Court Extends Ban on diesel vehicles over 2000cc
A 30% green tax on diesels?
NGT bans 10 year old diesel vehicles in Kerala
Government bans fitment of aftermarket CNG kits in Delhi

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 18 Jul 2016, 3:28 pm
Roshun
I think this is a complicated and expensive solution. One question I have is what about the long term effects of using battery powered hybrids? If a number of vehicles are implimented with the conversion tech, I am sure the battery will run out in five- six years, right? What happens to the old batteries? Unless a foolproof way of recycling is there in India, I don't think this is exactly an 'environment friendly' way to go about things here.
I think this relates to one of the articles you have written before. Here's the quote:
"Not as Green as it is made out to be
So you drive an all-electric car. Awesome. Zero pollution. Wrong! You are merely shifting the source of the pollution away from the car to the power plant. Most of the power generated in India is through thermal power stations. There are only a few hydro-electric and nuclear power stations which could genuinely claim to be green.
How does that matter to you? Take this example. A person in Singapore was fined S$15,000 (Rs. 7.2 lakh) for importing a Tesla, as this was an emissions surcharge. The Singapore government claimed that the Model-S he had imported had an equivalent carbon emissions of 222 grams per kilometre (although it did not directly emit that) because of the amount of coal-fired power generated to charge it. That’s more than a Range Rover V8 with a 4.4 litre engine that emits 219 grams per km. See the FULL STORY.
So unless you are using solar power, hydro-electric power or nuclear power to charge your Tesla, you are not really doing the environment a favour.
Battery bhai!
And then there are the batteries. Lithium-ion batteries use precious lithium extracted from the Earth, from igneous rocks and from certain salt flats. Lithium is not a renewable resource. A StanFord University study says that a 10KWH battery needs 1 Kg of Lithium to make. So a Tesla Model 3 battery of 60KWH needs about 6Kg of Lithium. That’s still a lot of Lithium that would be needed if more electric cars came about.
Plenty more mining operations that would take place. So after going after all the Dinosaur juice (fossil fuels), we will now be going after all the rocks that contained it in search of Lithium. True, some of it can be recycled though. Batteries will need replacement every 8 years (that’s how long Tesla says the batteries will go without an issue). Even then the degradation is only about 30% to 40%, which means you will lose that much range."

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 18 Jul 2016, 3:32 pm
Roshun The NGT should have taken into account of this Govt's proposal, before the sudden ban on diesel vehicles. This will create utter confusion, wastage of time and resources. In my opinion, this technology should be made mandatory in all vehicles more than five years old. In metros cities like Delhi, this is the only way out for a sustainable future. What about the full-electric conversion? Will it be cost-effective?

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 18 Jul 2016, 3:48 pm
Roshun
Right now the problem is that there are too many people making decisions and no authority who can take a final stand.
On one hand the Government is bringing in the scheme to convert your car in to a hybrid,but on the other hand NGT is acting like an adamant teenager and going around forcing down new rules like a dictator.
Now, we need to do something about the rising pollution. There is no doubt about it. But what we need to consider is if the rules being implemented are logical? How does a common man understand if he should invest a lakh to convert his car into a hybrid or if he should just go ahead and scrap it. And the government, having taken road tax for 15 years is liable to refund the road tax in case its asking people to scrap their car.
Other than bringing such proposals about converting cars to hybrid, I really wonder how much research has been done to check the improvements in the pollution levels after the conversion. Most of the mild hybrids would hardly make any difference and would end up being just a work around.
Why is it that we just don't shoot on the target and aim to actually reduce pollution. Just check all cars for pollution and make strict norms. These blanket bans are illogical and is not the right way ahead.

Sancheti_Binod

First Gear

Member: 18 Jul, 2016

Total Posts: 1

• 18 Jul 2016, 4:03 pm
What is the benefit with such an expensive solution? If government gives an option within INR 10,000, we all are ready.

Abhinav Bhagat

First Gear

Member: 22 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 6

• 18 Jul 2016, 4:15 pm
Roshun
What will be the estimated cost to convert any Diesel Car to Hybrid one?? Second thought that just struck me was, if i convert my car to Hybrid than what about its paper work??
Is it the same like getting a CNG Kit fitted into your car and then getting it on paper?

kaiserketkar

Total Posts: 403

• 18 Jul 2016, 4:45 pm
If,... and that's a big if.... the govt/court/NGT allows these kits to be installed and allow >10yr old cars to continue to ply, then even at 50k, it will make some sense. Ofcourse, this is applicable only for vehicles that weigh under 3.5 tonnes, it might not be applicable for commercial vehicles. But at least private vehicle owners will get some respite.

virajshetty4380

First Gear

Member: 20 Mar, 2016

• 18 Jul 2016, 4:45 pm
how fast it will be already cng vehicle all not possible then electric possible i cant run

Niki Lauda

First Gear

Member: 08 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 65

• 18 Jul 2016, 5:22 pm
virajshetty4380 what do you mean man? I'm not able to understand.

Bhargav_Bhuyan

First Gear

Member: 30 Jun, 2016

Total Posts: 8

• 18 Jul 2016, 6:01 pm
Roshun
Is it possible?Won't the car companies have to do some research to find out if such additions will lead to snag free operation of the car?How much will be the cost of making my 5 year old Verna Transform (petrol), a hybrid one,and where can I install the kit?

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 18 Jul 2016, 6:12 pm
Bhargav_Bhuyan I don't think car manufacturers will approve of this. Any major changes to the drivetrain are not usually advised as the cars are designed and tested extensively by the manufacturers. Any aftermarket additions, especially something of this scale of modification are not recommended. But since these vehicles would mostly be more than 10 years old, I think it doesn't concern the manufacturers much because the warranty is over anyway.

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 18 Jul 2016, 6:49 pm
Bhargav_Bhuyan
I have seen one of these systems in action - the KPIT Cummins Revolo system. It costs about Rs. 80,000. Yes, it will have to be tested by some certification agency before it can be made legal - and I think that's what these norms are for. Bosch and KPIT can probably now sell these on a larger scale. But then again, like CNG systems affected performance of the car, such kind of conversions too are bound to affect performance in some way. The only saving grace is that you can still hang on to your old car.

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 18 Jul 2016, 6:56 pm
Abhinav Bhagat
I think it will work similar to how the CNG conversion system took place. You will have to go to an authorized installer and then get the conversion certified in the RC. The funny part is, the Delhi government has now banned aftermarket CNG kits, citing poor safety norms. A couple of years down, these kind of conversions too may face a similar fate.

Abhinav Bhagat

First Gear

Member: 22 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 6

• 19 Jul 2016, 10:08 am
Thank you Roshun for the info !!

Bimal_George_Th..

First Gear

Member: 22 Jul, 2016

Total Posts: 2

• 23 Jul 2016, 9:46 am
Can this conversion be done on Mahindra Invader?

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 23 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm
Bimal_George_Thomas yes, it should be possible. I believe the Invader's diesel engine is BS-IV compliant and it's definitely way lesser than 3,500 kilos - so it should be possible. Do you use the Invader for personal or commercial purpose?

Bimal_George_Th..

First Gear

Member: 22 Jul, 2016

• 24 Jul 2016, 9:14 am
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"
Bimal_George_Thomas yes, it should be possible. I believe the Invader's diesel engine is BS-IV compliant and it's definitely way lesser than 3,500 kilos - so it should be possible. Do you use the Invader for personal or commercial purpose?
My Invader is BS3. I am a planter so I use it for both personal & commercial.

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 24 Jul 2016, 12:09 pm
"Originally posted by Bimal_George_Thomas"
My Invader is BS3. I am a planter so I use it for both personal & commercial.
Converting any old diesel or petrol with this sort of hybrid technology is fairly easy. It involves attaching a starter/generator that looks like an alternator to the side of the engine and connecting it with a small fan belt to the crankshaft pulley. This starter/generator is connected to a higher powered battery. When you start driving off, the starter generator assists the engine with some additional torque provided by the electric motor, which will allow the engine to rev up quicker using less fuel. Once you reach a cruising speed it cuts off allowing the engine to do its work. As you decelerate, it converts the mechanical energy back to electric energy and charges the battery (brake energy regeneration). With the invader, there is more than enough space in the engine bay for this sort of conversion. It can be done. Look up KPIT / Revolo on the net. They provide such kits for about Rs. 70,000

Viresh_Sb

First Gear

Member: 04 Oct, 2017

• 4 Oct 2017, 12:33 pm
Hi All,
This is viresh would like to convert my petrol car to electrical , May I know if any body knows the converstion kit avilable in Bangalore
my mail id vires.sb@gmail.com

Arjun

• 5 Oct 2017, 2:56 pm
Viresh_Sb
Hi Viresh,
There is a company named AltiGreen, which offers such a system to convert a petrol or diesel car into a mild hybrid.
The installation has now got an ARAI certification and also approved by RTOs. The changes are
The system costs around INR 60000 and also adds up a battery pack which may consume some of your car's boot space. As it is a large battery pack, it would not be a great idea to have it on a hatchback where the boot space is already limited.
This is a mild hybird system and does not allow plug in charging and depends on regenerative braking. The fuel efficiency gains also would be around 2kmpl.
However, your question here is about conversion to pure electric, and unfortunately at this point in time, we do not have any manufacturers offering the same. Considering that this would be a major change, as the entire power train would need a replacement, it would be a better idea to sell the petrol or diesel car and get a electric car instead.

Umeshchandra_Ba..

First Gear

Member: 30 Oct, 2017

• 30 Oct 2017, 6:44 am
Dear all
we are retrofitted of electric kits to three wheeler whic is approved by ARAI and we are successfully done. Now we are also trying to install kits to small car which is pure electric and it is possible to do it on any car. But the cost is the concern as the batteries are toooo costly now. Anyone intrested to know more abou this mail me on. umesh@voltaev.in

Arjun

• 3 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm
Umeshchandra_Basavaraju
Can you please share us the details about how this conversion is being done. Post conversion, would you be able to use the car in both electric and IC engine modes, or will it be only electric.
Please give us more details how you are changing the power train, and the costs involved.

Pankaj_Pathania

First Gear

Member: 24 Jan, 2018

• 24 Jan 2018, 12:28 pm
Praveen
yes you are right
Running Vehicle on Battery is not the Solution for Green Transport using Green(Pollution free) Energy.
But yes this can help you to reduce pollution in air .
and to save valuable fuel for upcoming generation
To Reuse old Battery = Technology might be use to Convert Waste Battery into Solar panel to generate electricity.
we should use a technology which will create energy on demand in controlled manner

Sanjay_Bakshi

First Gear

Member: 16 Feb, 2018

• 16 Feb 2018, 8:50 am
I WANT TO CONVERT MY BACK WHEEL DRIVE CAR TO ELECTRIC HYBRID ON FRONT AXEL WITH SOLAR PANELS ON ROOFTOP ,A DC CONVERTER AND LION BATTERY INSTALLATIONs .
ANY SUGGESTIONS MAIL TO sanjaybakshi101@gmail.com

Naman_Chopra

First Gear

Member: 20 Feb, 2018

• 20 Feb 2018, 4:56 am
Rexnamo Electro (of Delhi NCR) has the commercial availability of a complete electric vehicle power system, the "Rexnamo Lite EV Power System," for cars, trucks and utility vehicles with a completed weight under 1130kg / (or 2500 pounds).
The system is awaiting approval from the govt. as of Feb 2018. Anyone interested in converting thier vehicles, do message me. Also if this price seems on the higher side then a lower spec kit is also available but it still allows you to own a electric vehicle at a fraction of the cost of buying a brand new EV from a known manufacturer.
Priced starts at Rs. 3,50,000 (US$ 5446 )upto Rs. 9,55,313 (US$14,900), the Lite EV Power System enables the conversion of combustion engine vehicles into high performance, clean electric vehicles.
For More details www.rexnamo.com

Naman_Chopra

First Gear

Member: 20 Feb, 2018

• 20 Feb 2018, 4:59 am
Arjun
Rexnamo is offering complete electric vehicle conversions. Just see their website. There is a EV conversion for each type of vehicle. Be is sedan, SUV, or compact mini.
The founder is Ex-Tesla and Ex-Purdue, USA. So you know you will get a great product.

Fourth Div