ZigDrive 7: An Off-road Riding Adventure - Sunday, July 10, 2016

ZigDrive 7: An Off-r..

• 04 Jul 2016, 17277 Views

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 4 Jul 2016, 4:47 pm ( 1 Photo )
ZigDrive 7 is here folks - this time for riders in the NCR! Get out your motorcycle gear and lube up those bikes, for we are going to take you on an Off-Road Riding Adventure right here in the backyard of the NCR. This event is meant for all those of you who have the outdoors, adventure riding spirit in you, to explore how best you can handle tricky terrain. You will be riding along with a bunch of expert riders from Free Souls Rider Motorcycle Club (FSRMC), who will share techniques in handling tough terrain. Do expect to get a bit muddy on this adventure - and if it rains - plenty slushy!
Date: Sunday, July 10, 2016
Assembly time: 6.30 am
Assembly point: Outside Ambience Mall, Gurgaon
Offroad Riding Venue: Badshahpur (SEE MAP)
Event duration: 3 hours
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

Please start dropping in your confirmations in the posts below. Any bike with a spirit of adventure will do. Of course, those with more torque and better ground clearance will do better, but in the end it's all about technique and skill. Do carry adequate safety gear and first aid. Don't forget to carry your cameras to catch some of the moments.
Also see: ZigDrive 3: Ride to Death Valley

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 4 Jul 2016, 4:55 pm
Roshun
Count me in! Looking forward to see how the Thunderbird fares off road. I have had little experience driving through water, but let's see how it handles slush! :P

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 4 Jul 2016, 5:10 pm ( 1 Photo )
This is the area that we shall play in. It's fairly sandy terrain with some inclines and dips, mostly soft sand. However, there are some rocky areas that you would need to watch out for.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

n00b

First Gear

Member: 11 Feb, 2016

Total Posts: 76

• 4 Jul 2016, 5:13 pm
Roshun
I am totally in and will bring my partner in crime (a Himalayan) which I met just yesterday. Again, I'm an amateur in off-roading so look forward to this one!

Hitesh_Mohan_Ag..

First Gear

Member: 05 Jul, 2016

Total Posts: 3

• 5 Jul 2016, 11:04 am
This will be fun with loads of learning about the terrain handling. I request everyone to carry basic spares like tubes and clutch cables for avoiding any hassles.

Timeless_Explor..

First Gear

• 5 Jul 2016, 12:39 pm ( 1 Photo )
Riders, this is going to be a crazy & hardcore adventure session! Be prepared for lots of fun & thrill. Carry your basic spares and puncture kit. Since its kinda aloof from civilization, carry enough water to keep yourself hydrated.
Here is a small teaser of what to expect:-

CorsaVeloce

"Stage 3 Mod"

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1305

• 5 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm
Timeless_Explorer, I have a 2012 model RE Electra. You think my bike would be able to tackle this? Its running on stock tires.

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 5 Jul 2016, 5:13 pm
Timeless_Explorer it looks like it's going to be one sandy, dusty day. Or slushy if it rains!
Looking forward for the ride. I'll be there taking some pictures. No bike, hence no ride

Timeless_Explor..

First Gear

• 5 Jul 2016, 5:57 pm
CorsaVeloce
The machine needs to be in good condition though! However at the end of the day, its always about the rider & the endurance level he/she can handle....... Be positive & you will sail through.

Timeless_Explor..

First Gear

• 5 Jul 2016, 5:59 pm
NikilSJ
The terrain has loads of sand & there are occasional gravels as well with tricky terrain. We hoping to have slush as that will elevate the adventure to the next level.
Would be looking forward to some great clicks from you!

konarktyagi

First Gear

Member: 24 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 55

• 5 Jul 2016, 6:50 pm
Interesting !
Will try to be there. Also, love the picture that you have used Roshun

Hitesh_Mohan_Ag..

First Gear

• 5 Jul 2016, 9:54 pm
Yes it will be no worries.

Gaurav Aneja

Tourer

• 7 Jul 2016, 4:01 pm
Yaay! One more bike off-road event. This time will bring my bike, last time had to accompany you guys in a car though!

JijoMalayil

Total Posts: 2293

• 8 Jul 2016, 10:03 am
Was indeed looking forward for this! Let me see if I can rent a RE Himalayan for the day. Any leads in Delhi will be much appreciated

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 11 Jul 2016, 7:06 pm ( 27 Photos )
ZigDrive 7 is done and dusted - literally. What a day! The sand. The humidity. The excitement. The thrills and the spills. Around 34 riders, from FSRMC and others showed up for ZigDrive 7, an event which was to test the mettle of riders in complete off-road terrain - sandy climbs and descents and a trail ride. I, however, chose to back up the riders with four wheels rather than on my bike, as the latter needed a bit of work. Nevertheless, I got into the action, because where two-wheel power trailed off, two-legged power was required to give riders a shove, getting their machines up the sandy trails.
Let the photos do the talking now. Meeting up at 6.30am in front of Ambience Mall, Gurgaon, the assembly point for the ride:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

There was quite a mix of bikes - Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 & 350, Classic 500 and 350, Standard Bullet, Hero Impulse, Bajaj Pulsar, Yamaha R15, KTM Duke 200, KTM Duke 390, Hero Hunk, Suzuki Gixxer, the newly launched Royal Enfield Himalayan and even a Hyosung Aquila GV250.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

We looked quite a sight on the road. Such a large group of riders all headed out towards Badshahpur, behind which are the off-road trails set in the Aravalis.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

Since we were a pretty large group, we split into smaller lots to find trails to explore.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

The first group of riders lands up at one of the sand pits.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->

The second lot began attacking the steep sandy hill climb in the area. Some needed a push...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_7## -->

Some made it...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_8## -->

Some tried various wriggle techniques to get up the incline...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_9## -->

The bigger bikes weight issues were showing up...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_10## -->

Leading some to just abandon their bikes midway and take a break...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_11## -->

Some riders took pleasure in just getting the bikes into the sand just for kicks...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_12## -->

The ones with lower torque, really had a tough time, like this Gixxer, but being light, the rider could use two-legged power to help it along...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_13## -->

What really aced the trail though was the Hero Impulse, a surprisingly agile bike, which could probably do with a just a wee bit more power...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_14## -->

Despite a couple of spills...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_15## -->

This Impulse rider didn't give up...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_16## -->

The Himalayan was also quite a popular bike at this event, with everyone wanting to check out its off-road prowess...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_17## -->

Harry is a proud owner of the new Himalayan...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_18## -->

Everyone wanted a piece of the action...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_19## -->

Posing, posing... ready? Click.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_20## -->

Hey? Somebody click my photo on the Impulse too, please...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_21## -->

Meanwhile, it was getting hot. Water was running out. The weather was really humid. Hitesh's expression is one of glee drenched in sweat...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_22## -->

Harry attempts the climb with the Himalayan, gets about half way up, but the sand is just too deep and the incline a bit too steep...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_23## -->

This Thunderbird takes the easier and more scenic trail...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_24## -->

It was then time to get a bite to eat. This was a bring your own breakfast ride, with each one packing some stuff and then sharing it...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_25## -->

Hungry and thirsty lot...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_26## -->

With breakfast done, it was time for a group photo with most of them...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_27## -->

While the others saddled up...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_28## -->

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 11 Jul 2016, 7:15 pm ( 3 Photos )
A few more photos from ZigDrive 7. An interesting sight was this Hyosung Aquila GV250, a pretty rare bike to see.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_29## -->

How many people can you fit on a Himalayan? Here's an attempt... or not.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_30## -->

What's my Scorpio doing in the midst of all these bikes? Carrying water and bags...
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_31## -->

34 riders. 38 degree heat. 100% fun. ZigDrive 7 left us drained, but yet strangely invigorated.

Nikhil Kalra

Zig Admin

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 132

• 11 Jul 2016, 7:30 pm
Roshun
Awesome pictures.. These bikes are giving tough fight to the OTR events happened in earlier Zigdrive's. Double thumbs up
Let's do a combo event with Cars and Bikes

Harish_Nayak_Bu..

First Gear

Member: 11 Jul, 2016

Total Posts: 1

• 11 Jul 2016, 8:39 pm
Roshun
We loved it

NikilSJ

• 16 Jul 2016, 12:28 pm
Can't believe I missed out on all the fun. The trails look really good and I'm sure many of the riders must have found it difficult to negotiate the loose sand. Must have been a thrills and spills galore last Sunday! I was surprised to see quite a lot of Hero Impulses on this ride. I've always been a big fan of the bike. Like Roshun said, the Impluse could have done with a little bit more power. Once I got a friends Impulse for a short ride on the ECR and I took it to the beach running parallel to the road. It was a lot of fun to ride in the sand. My only grouse with the Impulse was the relatively high saddle height. That's not exactly the Impulses fault because I wish I was a bit taller. I've heard of some riders swapping the Impulses engine with the one powering the old Karizma. Now that would be a fun bike to ride on the trails, won't it?

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 16 Jul 2016, 5:37 pm
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"
I've heard of some riders swapping the Impulses engine with the one powering the old Karizma. Now that would be a fun bike to ride on the trails, won't it?
The Impulse has a very good chassis and suspension. It only needs a more powerful engine. An Impulse 223 with the Karizma engine would work wonders for it. A little better styling also perhaps and it will be a good starter adventure bike.

Rajen_Joshi

First Gear

Member: 18 Aug, 2016

Total Posts: 23

• 3 Sep 2016, 5:40 pm
how often do u plan ZigDrives?

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 6 Sep 2016, 6:41 am
"Originally posted by Rajen_Joshi"
how often do u plan ZigDrives?
We try to get one in every month at least. Initially we managed two a month. I want to have these in other cities too. Looking for enthusiasts who can round up a group in cities like Pune, Mumbai, Trivandrum, etc. Once assured of at least 20 -30 cars, we can organise a ZigDrive.

NikilSJ

• 6 Sep 2016, 10:30 am
JOY, I'll be in Trivandrum from the 14th till the 17th of September. Let's organise a ZigDrive there?

JijoMalayil

Total Posts: 2293

• 6 Sep 2016, 10:48 am
NikilSJ Zigdrive Kerala edition on "Thiruvonam" , I am booking my tickets straight away! How about Ponmudi?

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 6 Sep 2016, 3:14 pm
JijoMalayil
Trivandrum has many options around. Ponmudi, Thenmala, Poovar, Neyyar dam. All aren't too short or too long a drive and nice destinations.

JOY MRC

Total Posts: 606

• 6 Sep 2016, 3:51 pm
Ponmudi is a relatively short drive from the city. Did this a couple of months back and the roads are okish till the top except for some in the city which would have been mended by now. Has some very photogenic locations high up.

Arjun

• 6 Sep 2016, 4:43 pm
JOY MRC, being the Trivandrum expert , and with the highest experience living in the city, what places would you suggest.

JOY MRC

• 6 Sep 2016, 5:38 pm
my content didn't show up correctly. sorry about that. Ponmudi is 60kms one way from the city. meenmutty(52-55kms approx) is just before the starting climb to ponmudi which features basically trekking(no cars beyond the entrance) but beautiful scenic place(one of the top rated in tvm). there is a nice foot hill restaurant also for refreshments if needed before getting jiggy with the bends. climbing up to the top, we are greeted by light mist and blinding clouds(seasonal) which makes it a delightful climb. after reacing the car parking area we can choose to walk to the watch tower or catch the air and walk around and enjoy the view. there is govt canteen, playground and merchandise centers too including natural/herbal items. This would be ideal for tvm members as we can go enjoy and make it back by evening before getting stuck in the Onaaghosham traffic(depending on when the event is being conducted)

Arjun

• 6 Sep 2016, 5:39 pm
JOY MRC
isnt Meenmuty waterfalls enroute to Ponumdi?

JOY MRC

• 6 Sep 2016, 6:01 pm
I will discuss with my mates and update if there are any other good destinations within reach.

Fourth Div