How To Buy The Right Motorcycle Helmet

How To Buy The Right..

• 28 Jun 2016, 12868 Views

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 2027

• 28 Jun 2016, 2:50 pm ( 5 Photos )
Motorcycling can be a very rewarding and relaxing experience. The sheer exposure to the elements while riding makes you feel truly connected to the road. However, one should ride responsibly and should ideally follow ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) while riding. But, in countries like India, many do not follow the rule due to various reasons but riding at least with a helmet is a must, no matter what. Helmet is the basic requirement when it comes to sensible riding and believe me, it can make a huge difference in case of an accident. I see so many riders ride without a helmet and recently in our Zigdrive 6, there were youths pulling wheelies on two strokers and that too with a pillion. No one wore a helmet. One wrong move and it would have been a disaster. You get the point I am trying to make. This post is for users to know how to select the right helmet. Yes, helmet buying is also a serious endeavour unlike those who just go to a road side stall and buy whichever is the cheapest; just for the sake of avoiding the cops. Hi there, NikilSJ :P
There are various types of helmets available in the market. No matter what kind of helmet you buy, always see to that it complies ECE/ DOT/ SNELL/ ISI standards. The safest ones are proper full face ones. But there are a lot of choices available for the rider:
Full Face Helmet:
This is the safest kind of helmet available in the market, mechanically speaking. These helmets have a sturdy construction without that many complex moving parts. The only moving part here is the visor. There are helmets that are available with a quick-release mechanism for the visor. This is really useful when you are riding at dusk and need to swap out your visor from tinted ones to clear ones. These helmets also provide the best chin protection. Higher end helmets have better composite structure that are not only stronger, but are lighter as well. They are also more aerodynamically designed so that it doesn't flail around at high speeds. These helmets may also come with an internal visor.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

PC: bikeperformance.com
Flip Up Helmet:
This is a more versatile version of a full face helmet. But that versatility comes at the cost of complexity. There are latches in the helmet which, when released can open up the frontal portion of the helmet. This is particularly useful in situations like when you want to drink a bottle of water without taking off the helmet. Apart from the movable frontal portion, these helmet also come with a visor that can be opened/ closed just like in normal full face helmets. Higher end helmets may also come with an internal visor. A tinted internal visor with a clear external visor is the best combination for day-night riding.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

PC: fc-moto.de
Off-road Helmet:
This type of helmets are specifically designed for off-roading purposes. The chin portion is angular so as to plough through the mud and diffuse the impact energy, rather than make a hard impact upon falling. They are usually paired with goggles which prevent dust from entering the eye.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

PC: jafrum.com
Open Face Helmet:
This type of helmet basically has no frontal impact protection other than the visor. It covers all the sides of the head except for the face. Yes, it is more convenient to wear than full face and flip up helmets and is more 'airy' too. But this comes at the cost of safety. There is no chin protection and in the event of accident, if you're landing face down, there is nothing to protect you apart from the visor. Even that is also dangerous as the broken pieces may get into the eye. Get the picture? Don't buy these helmets.
Another kind, or rather, a sub-type of open face helmet is the 'shorty' helmets. It looks like a world war era soldier’s helmet offering even lesser protection than open face helmets; only the top of your head, to be precise. Sure, it may look badass while riding your Harley, but not so much when you crash.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

billyscrashhelmets.co.uk
Now let's see how to select the right size of the helmet.
First, take a measurement tape and wind it around the region where the circumference is at the maximum. It is usually on the forehead, just above the eyes, going around, above the ears and to the back. The approximate size chart by Flipkart for (Indian helmets) is given below.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

Note that it may vary from one brand to another and the best way to find out is to ask the dealer about the size ranges. Personally, I would suggest you go to a helmet store, check out the models, try it and only then purchase it, rather than purchasing it online.
After picking up the right sized helmet, hold the helmet on two hands, with the straps between your thumb and fore finger on either sides. Now adjust the sides according to your face and slide it face first and then down the head. Now, secure the straps and make sure the chin strap-securing rings are not rusted. The helmet should be a snug fit, with the cheek cushions giving you the appearance of 'squirrel cheeks', without being too uncomfortable. This has to be ensured so as to prevent the helmet from coming off on impact or flail loosely. Note that the cushions compress over a period of time.
Also, make sure that there is no gaps between your face and the internal cushioning. It should cover the top of your forehead all the way through your temples and cheeks. Ensure your nose or chin does not touch the frontal portion of the helmet.
After wearing the helmet, move the helmet around to gauge how secure it is. It should not move around and should snugly fit into the shape of your head. Walk around, a bit so as to see how it feels when being mobile. Check for the number of ventilation ports. The more the ports, the more 'airy' the helmet will be. But do note that it will also result in the helmet being noisy. So, find the right balance between ventilation and wind noise. Buy the right kind of helmet for the kind of riding you make. For example, if you are touring on normal roads, it doesn't make sense to wear an off-road helmet as they are not too stable at high speeds. Ideally, in terms of safety, it is better to buy a brightly coloured helmet so that it is easily visible at night. After you purchase your helmet, mark your name, emergency number and blood group with a permanent marker and ensure it is clearly visible. You all know why. Always remember, ride safe and ride responsibly.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 28 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm ( 1 Video)
It's very, very important to buy a motorcycle helmet that meets DOT, Snell or ISI standards. Do not buy those cheap imitation helmets that you can get on the side of the road for a few hundred bucks. Your head is far more valuable than that. Want to see what happens on impact? Look at this comparison between a cheap "Chinese" helmet and a branded helmet built to approved safety standards.
Now imagine if your head was in that helmet! I rest my case.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 29 Jun 2016, 4:09 pm ( 1 Photo )
Roshun Wow, this is really scary. Look at that helmet just crumbling like an egg shell! That is the price one pays for buying cheap helmets. Speaking of safety standards, the SNELL standard (named after a racing driver William 'Pete' snell, who died due to head injuries when his helmet failed) offers shock absorbance of up to 300 G's. Helmets from the DOT standard, also known as the Department of Transport (US Government) have impact resistance of 200- 250 G's and the helmet's impact absorption capability is more than its resistance. The ECE R22-05 standard (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe), also shows impact-absorbent characteristics, with helmets capable of withstanding a maximum of 275 G's. Here's an image of the basic components a helmet should have:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

PC: bis.org.in

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 5 Jul 2016, 11:32 am
Praveen, I would strongly suggest people to avoid the Flip up type helmets. Even though they provide chin protection, most of it is superficial. In some brands the flip up part becomes loose over usage.
I had met with an accident wearing a flip up type helmet. At the moment of impact,which was at the chin, the flip went up and I ended up scratching my face on the road. That's when I realized that the chin protection is purely superficial and does not help during an actual accident. I understand it may be dependent on brands and types, but the one I used is a reputed brand and a highly sold helmet. It is always better to go for a full face helmet and face a little inconvenience of removing it than losing your face all together.

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 5 Jul 2016, 11:50 am
"Originally posted by Arjun"
It is always better to go for a full face helmet and face a little inconvenience of removing it than losing your face all together.
I totally agree with you. I have always used only full face helmets and last February, I was very thankful I had one, when I slammed face first into the grille of a Tata truck parked on the wrong side of the road. Because of the AGV helmet, nothing happened, else I would probably be brandishing a T logo on my forehead! Full face helmets anyday provide better protection than even the hinged ones, because as I see it, the hinged portion is a weak spot.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 5 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm
Arjun True, it may not be as safe as the full face helmets. I have been on an accident and I was wearing a flip up helmet only. I rear ended a truck and the helmet took most of the impact. But the force of the impact shattered the chin locks and rendered the helmet useless. Luckily, the helmet was of good quality and the overall structural integrity was not compromised. That's when i learnt nothing beats the simplicity and safety of a full face helmet!

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2354

• 5 Jul 2016, 5:02 pm
Arjun was this reputable helmet a Studds Ninja 3G helmet? I know a friend of mine who met with an accident wearing one. Again the lower portion that flips up came off the hinges and he scraped hic chin on the pavement. These helmets are practically useless in all applications.

Praveen

Enthusiast

• 5 Jul 2016, 5:09 pm
NikilSJ The Studds Ninja helmet is flimsy and is not safe at all! I have seen many riders flip up the chin portion to unnatural angles, so much so that it looks broken! I have used a Steelbird Zorro helmet which is of decent quality, although it was a bit heavy. LS2 flip type helmets are of better quality, but are expensive, though.

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 5 Jul 2016, 7:58 pm
"Originally posted by NikilSJ"
Arjun was this reputable helmet a Studds Ninja 3G helmet? I know a friend of mine who met with an accident wearing one. Again the lower portion that flips up came off the hinges and he scraped hic chin on the pavement. These helmets are practically useless in all applications.
You got it right. It was a Studds Ninja. I don't remember which version it was. It was my friend's bike and helmet and I had to ride it as he was not in a condition to ride.
But I have seen similar issue with Vega's helmets too. Not with an accident but generally, it opens up when we try to keep it in the Activa's boot.

10_hightech

First Gear

Member: 01 Dec, 2017

Total Posts: 1

• 4 Dec 2017, 1:09 am
Since choosing the best motorcycle helmet can be a challenging task, I have reviewed the 10 best Bluetooth motorcycle helmet for your convenience https://10hightech.com/best-bluetoot...rcycle-helmet/ . All of these products have their own set of strengths and weaknesses, so it is up to you to decide which one you would prefer.

Fourth Div