ZigDrive 6: Bengaluru to Avalabetta on Sunday, June 19, 2016

ZigDrive 6: Bengalur..

• 13 Jun 2016, 15753 Views

Roshun

Super Moderator

Member: 13 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 2035

• 13 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm ( 7 Photos )
Attention all you roadies in Bengaluru! ZigDrive 6 takes you to a lovely hilltop just 85 km out of Bengaluru, a spot called Avalabetta that's not as well-known as Nandi Hills, making it the perfect spot for you to take your cars and bikes out for a long drive on a Sunday morning. The rains are here and that will make this drive even more interesting.
When: Sunday, June 19, 2016
Where to: Avalabetta
Meeting point: Hebbal, Service Lane opposite Esteem Mall
Assembly time: 7.00 am
Departure time: 7.15 am
Drive distance (one way): 90 km (Round trip of 180 km)
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_0## -->

(Image courtesy: Avalabetta Trek)
Drive Details:
We will be driving up to Avalabetta and back with a stop for breakfast being organized enroute. You are free to carry some snacks and water as well in your individual cars. The road we will take is NH7, the highway to Hyderabad, turning off at Peresandra towards Avalabetta. You will have to pay toll at the airport toll gate (Rs. 120 round trip toll). Driving time is expected to be about 1 hour and 40 minutes, but do factor in a 45 minute halt before that for breakfast. There is a small guest house at the top, in front of which is ample parking. For better views, you will need to walk up the hillside for about half a km.
​Local coordinators in Bengaluru for this ZigDrive are Arjun and Ivee. Tag them for any help with coordination.
Please RSVP in the posts below and share among interested friends. Some photos, courtesy Arjun who took the trouble to recce the spot this weekend. Big shout out to him!
The location:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_1## -->

Another view:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_2## -->

Road to Avalabetta from NH7:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_3## -->

At the top:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_4## -->

Car parking area:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_5## -->

The route map:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_6## -->

I will also be coming to Bengaluru for this drive. Looking forward to meeting you all. Please RSVP below before Friday, June 17 so we can get a head count of sorts.
Earlier ZigDrives:
ZigDrive 5
ZigDrive 4

ZigDrive 3
ZigDrive 2
ZigDrive 1

JOY MRC

Member: 05 Jan, 2016

Total Posts: 606

• 13 Jun 2016, 11:02 pm
Awesome Arjun. Glad you could pick a fine spot in the end. Would have loved to be there. Anyways enjoy the trip u guys and have a fun and safe trip.

Ivee

First Gear

Member: 01 Jun, 2016

Total Posts: 4

• 14 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm
See you all there !!! Kudos Arjun for all the efforts !! Hope to make this a big drive !!

prady

First Gear

Member: 07 Jun, 2016

Total Posts: 1

• 14 Jun 2016, 3:19 pm
Roshun
Hello Roshun and Arjun,
I am in for the event and exciting to cathc up you guys!! Coming alone with My Innova.

CorsaVeloce

"Stage 3 Mod"

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1305

• 14 Jun 2016, 3:41 pm
prady Look forward to seeing you there!

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 14 Jun 2016, 3:48 pm
Folks, the Delhi team is getting quite excited about this ZigDrive in Bengaluru. So much so, they are willing to drive 2,200 km to come and see you. Watch this space for more updates. Arjun, Ivee prady JOY MRC

JOY MRC

• 14 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm
2200 kms.Sounds like an awesome Plan

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 14 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm
"Originally posted by JOY MRC"
2200 kms.Sounds like an awesome Plan
Driving 2200 km to drive 90 km with the folks in Bengaluru and then driving back another 2200 km. That's close to a 4,500 km round trip! What to say, the boys, they love driving

Arjun

Member: 26 Oct, 2015

Total Posts: 807

• 14 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm
@joymrc , that is a hint that you can also join. its a mere 700km journey for you

JOY MRC

• 14 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm
Arjun Point taken.but I need to be here 19th as my sister and kid is coming @ 2.30am(early morning 20th).I won't make it back in time if I join you guys.I would definitely miss this drive and seeing all of you guys in person especially our SuperMod as we never met even though we know each other since 2010.Definitely Next time my Brothers

rsaikia

First Gear

Member: 14 Jun, 2016

Total Posts: 2

• 14 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm
Guys where is the registration link, cannot find it

Arjun

• 14 Jun 2016, 9:43 pm
rsaikia A post in this thread is all we need. We will take a count of the unique replies. Please let us know the mode of tranport(car/bike) and number of people accompanying you.

Vinayak_Gowda

First Gear

Member: 16 Jun, 2016

• 16 Jun 2016, 9:32 am
Hi Arjun, i will be joining with my family (Approx 4) in my car

rsaikia

First Gear

Member: 14 Jun, 2016

Total Posts: 2

• 16 Jun 2016, 10:03 pm
Dear Arjun, I will be coming in my Figo, hope to see you folks, Cheers

Vinay Sharma

First Gear

Member: 17 Jun, 2016

• 17 Jun 2016, 12:12 am
Hi all. I will be joining. Will need a place in someone's vehicle.

Kapil_Kumar

First Gear

Total Posts: 57

• 17 Jun 2016, 7:09 pm
Roshun I want to join in my Grand i10, will check if some friends wanna join. So how does the registration work? (just a comment on the post will do?) Any registration fee ? (my first drive, so pardon me)

Kapil_Kumar

First Gear

• 18 Jun 2016, 11:38 am
If u can come till Hebbal , we can car pool afterwards as my friend is stuck. So I will come alone in my Grand i10

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 18 Jun 2016, 1:22 pm
Kapil_Kumar Hi, there is no registration fee, all you have do is to just show up at the designated spot on time, or you can join the group on the way somewhere. I'm tagging Roshun and Arjun who will be organizing the event, for providing you with further information regarding the selected route. Cheers!

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 18 Jun 2016, 1:27 pm
Kapil_Kumar
Hi Kapil. Just reach Hebbal at 7.00 am. We will be waiting in the service lane opposite to Esteem Mall. There is no registration fee or anything. It's a drive to meet our forum members and share experiences of our drives and cars.
Four of us drove down in two cars from Delhi to Bangalore for this event :-) . A 2200 km trip in 30 hours. We loved it, and we hope you will love this small 85 km trip (+ 85 back) to Avalabetta too. Will meet you tomorrow morning.

Kapil_Kumar

First Gear

• 18 Jun 2016, 2:19 pm
Roshun
awesome cya tomoro morning

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm ( 3 Photos )
After a lovely 2200 km road trip in the Honda BR-V and Mahindra Scorpio 4WD, we were in Bengaluru with a day to spare, before ZigDrive 6. So on the morning of June 19, we were up nice and early to catch up with the Bengaluru community of ZigWheels forum members and friends.
The occasion was the drive to Avalabetta for ZigDrive 6 - a route that had been scouted out by Arjun and with social activism by Ivee to spread the word about the drive. 26 people, 12 cars and 2 bikes showed up for the drive. I don't know about the others (waiting for their opinions), but I think the place and the drive to and from it was just fantastic. Great stuff Arjun! Thanks for suggesting and organizing this drive.
Now to put out some photos from the event and I'm hoping Kapil_Kumar, prady VikramShanker and others will add to the list. Oh, and Ivee, do share your set of photos here too. I'm taking one of them anyway to prove to the world that the "cliff-hanging rock" does exist! Apparently, Ivee had to stand in a queue to get to the precipice for a few photos.
The cars begin lining up at 7 am at Hebbal, opposite Esteem mall. The early birds show up. CorsaVeloce and friend brought a Mercedes A-Class along. prady's Innova up front.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_7## -->

As more cars show up, the service lane begins to get a bit crowded.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_8## -->

That's VikramShanker with his Laura TSI posing for a photo:
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_9## -->

Continued...​

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm ( 4 Photos )
By 7.15 am we had a full convoy of 2 Scorpios, 2 Grand i10s, 2 Figos, 2 Skoda Lauras, 1 Innova, 1 Honda BR-V, 1 Honda Brio, 1 Mercedes A-Class, 1 Pulsar AS 200 and a Thunderbird 350. We set out with Arjun leading the convoy along with Prady in the Innova while I brought up the rear, keeping the whole pack in between. We had to pick up a Rs. 120 round trip toll at the Bengaluru airport.
A quick round of introductions before we set out.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_10## -->

That's @Arjun's Figo at the back.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_11## -->

The convoy at the airport toll plaza, paying toll.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_12## -->

A shot of the convoy on the highway.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_13## -->

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 3:21 pm ( 4 Photos )
We then stopped off for Breakfast at Indian Paranthe Company about 10 km after the airport. This place seems pretty popular with Bengaluru residents, as a whole bunch of superbikes and other riders and car groups showed up at the restaurant for breakfast. Our convoy though stood out.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_14## -->

A shot of the convoy lining up for breakfast.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_15## -->

The gang in Indian Paranthe company. Aloo and other parathas, coffee, lime juice were ordered.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_16## -->

Some decided to stay outdoors and enjoy the pleasant weather.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_17## -->

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 3:27 pm ( 4 Photos )
After breakfast it was time to set out again. From Indian Paranthe Company, it was just another 40 odd km to Avalabetta. The road is just fantastic. This is the NH7 that continues to Hyderabad. We had to turn off just after the Chikballapur turn.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_18## -->

The convoy sets off after breakfast
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_19## -->

The road to Avalabetta is fairly narrow.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_20## -->

The last section is a steep climb with twisties.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_21## -->

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 3:46 pm ( 5 Photos )
We finally made it to the top. One has to park the cars near a guest house area at Avalabetta and then explore the area.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_22## -->

We got a quick group shot before heading out to explore the rocks and views in the area.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_23## -->

That's the Chikballapur lake as seen from the top of Avalabetta.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_24## -->

Some wanted to get to that rock at the top, it's a pretty tough climb up.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_25## -->

See how far it actually is, with VikramShanker pointing towards that rock.
<!-- ##phrase_image_larger_version_x_y_z_26## -->

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm
Ivee and Arjun can you share your set of photos? Especially the one at the cliff hanging rock where you had to wait in a queue to get yourself clicked (@Ivee).

Ivee

First Gear

• 20 Jun 2016, 9:34 pm ( 1 Photo )

More Photos

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 20 Jun 2016, 11:16 pm ( 1 Photo )
"Originally posted by Ivee"
That is a seriously brave photo Ivee. I wouldn't attempt going out on this ledge the way you did. I get vertigo in such kind of situations, especially if there are others around. The drop below this precipice is over a 100 feet right? I'm surprised there's no one at Avalabetta preventing people from going out on this ledge.

Ivee

First Gear

• 20 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm
Yeah ... You are right.. There was a lot of crowd standing at the edge.. I felt it was a dangerous spot too and while going there, I kind off did my last prayers. With the wind bowing hard, it is not easy to have balance. And one fall and nothing will remain. I still can't believe I did it, every time i see this pic. I just thank my stars that I am back alive

Arjun

• 21 Jun 2016, 2:25 pm ( 9 Photos )
Ivee certainly has no Acrophobia

Roshun reaching new heights in order to get some network on his phone.

The day was cloudy and it drizzled for a minute or two to scare us. But the climate acted in our favour and we were able to have a nice, pleasant trip.

The sun got a few minutes to throw some sunshine on us and warm things a little.

Long discussion about the trip and the cars

Roshun

Super Moderator

• 21 Jun 2016, 4:15 pm
Don't miss the ZigWheels sticker packs scattered on the Scorpio's bonnet. The Avalabetta drive was great to meet up with the Bangalore bunch of ZigWheels forum members. Hope to see more action from you guys. Do keep sharing your experiences here. Wait for the video guys - should be up next week.

Ivee

First Gear

• 21 Jun 2016, 10:38 pm
Acrophobia.... What does it even mean:P its not in my dictionary !! Seriously looking forward to more such trips.

JijoMalayil

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2293

• 22 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm
Take a look at this write-up about Zigdrive 6 to Avalabetta by Saddle Serenity. Cheers!

Kapil_Kumar

First Gear

• 25 Jun 2016, 11:40 am ( 5 Photos )

Kapil_Kumar

First Gear

• 25 Jun 2016, 11:41 am ( 3 Photos )

Fourth Div