BMW's S1000XR to take on Ducati's Multistrada

BMW's S1000XR to take on Ducati's Multistrada

BMW's S1000XR to tak..

• 20 Nov 2015, 5398 Views

NikilSJ

Member: 02 Nov, 2015

Total Posts: 2192

• 20 Nov 2015, 4:14 pm ( 3 Photos )
BMW, the world’s leading adventure motorcycle manufacturer, is expected to expand its litre-class product lineup with the launch of the BMW S1000XR. The adventure sport bike will be based on the S1000R roadster. The new BMW will employ a detuned version of the power plant from the supersports offering with 160bhp on tap.

The compared to its naked sibling, the S1000XR will have roomier and stronger chassis and long travel suspension for light off-road duties.

On the design front, the S1000XR is a true blue BMW with traditional shark gills and a beak like the ones on GS models. BMW has always ben a master at combining disparate design elements and making look seamless. It’s the same with the S1000XR with twin headlamp units that have a very different profile giving the front-end a asymmetric yet functional look. The windscreen upfront is adjustable too and helps in long highway rides.
The XR is a proper adventure bike with tall seating, wide handlebars and a meaty fairing. The tall seating may seem intimidating at first, but reviews from across the globe seem to stay the opposite. The seats get height adjustability and putting your foot down may not be as difficult as it seems.

The retuned 999cc four pulls smooth and steady. The XR gets digital clocks, with analogue tacho and conjoined LCD display for everything else from its naked sibling. It also gets the optional ESA (Electronics Suspension Adjustment) system. Auto stability control is standard. The ESa lets you choose between ‘Dynamic’, ‘Rain’ and ‘Road’ modes which alter the suspension and throttle setting according to the terrain.The Automatic Stability Control (ASC) ensures a high standard of riding safety by optimising traction. Expect pricing to be in the same ball park as the S1000R (Rs 22.38 lakh ex-showroom Delhi). When launched, the S1000XR’s chief rival would be the Ducati Multistradda 1200S.

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1868

• 4 Oct 2016, 2:21 pm
NikilSJ Yeah, I saw the bike at the Auto Expo here in Delhi NCR. The S 1000 XR isn't as intimidating as the GS and the riding position is also pretty relaxed. You sit high and the handlebars are wide, but not as wide as the GS. I wish the S 1000 XR came with the asymmetric headlamps, which its sportier sibling is famous for.

Praveen

Enthusiast

Member: 01 Dec, 2015

Total Posts: 1868

• 4 Oct 2016, 3:15 pm
NikilSJ As I was typing the previous comment, I just got this news on my facebook feed that BMW has revealed the updated S 1000 XR at the INTERMOT motorcycle show. The new bike packs five more bhp and also comes with a vibration-free handlebar. The front fork bridge is designed in such a way that 'Even the finest vibrations are prevented', BMW says.

Fourth Div